Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2019 Silly Season News Thread (Teams/Drivers/Tracks)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• young drivers bringing money is the new deal.
    Sadly many good drivers who could excel are cut out of the equation cause they are not bringing big money with them.
    Feel for Tim and Cody as Tim was one of my go to cars to watch.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sprint14 View Post
      Since they parted ways with both Shaffer and Cody Jacobs, makes me wonder if the team 1) is closing up shop or 2) has a driver with funding behind him and is bringing their own crew chief as well.
      If they are going to have someone drive who's bringing money, it better be a lot. It's hard to imagine somebody else finishing as well as Tim did against the competition they race against. This was one of the stronger teams in the country, they have won WoO races on the east and west coast and a six figure payday. So another driver is going to have to bring enough money to offset the loss in the results they are most likely going to get.

Comment

• Originally posted by Deadhorse View Post

If they are going to have someone drive who's bringing money, it better be a lot. It's hard to imagine somebody else finishing as well as Tim did against the competition they race against. This was one of the stronger teams in the country, they have won WoO races on the east and west coast and a six figure payday. So another driver is going to have to bring enough money to offset the loss in the results they are most likely going to get.
        I agree. It's hard for me to think of any drivers out there that have had #1 the success that Shaffer has had, #2 consistency, an #3 lack of torn up equipment. We probably will never know the number but I would also say they would need some money to offset everything. My brain keeps thinking of a certain driver who has had funding in the past but left a ride earlier this year. I believe the crew chief left with him. They were in Knoxville so maybe some talking happened. Who knows

Comment

• If this is the direction of the sport, a bunch of funded children toting glamour shots of themselves in their racing suits and tweeting out pics of their $4500 custom painted helmets, then Lord help us all....

Comment

• Originally posted by RRacer70 View Post
            young drivers bringing money is the new deal.
            Sadly many good drivers who could excel are cut out of the equation cause they are not bringing big money with them.
            Feel for Tim and Cody as Tim was one of my go to cars to watch.
            Totally agree with this observation. Reminds me of what has been going on in INDYCAR racing for years. Not a fan of this way of racing, but it’s probably here to stay and will continue to expand. Makes me wonder if the younger guys like Ryan and Jacobs and numerous others will ever get opportunities. I cannot think of one positive aspect of ride buying or donating major components ( motors, etc ). I sort of understand it to a degree, because the cost of racing is so significant that even winning doesn’t guarantee break even, much less a modest profit. So, car owners will accept this money or goods in order to stay afloat. It’s the “ new normal “.

Comment

• Originally posted by Muddy99 View Post

Totally agree with this observation. Reminds me of what has been going on in INDYCAR racing for years. Not a fan of this way of racing, but it’s probably here to stay and will continue to expand. Makes me wonder if the younger guys like Ryan and Jacobs and numerous others will ever get opportunities. I cannot think of one positive aspect of ride buying or donating major components ( motors, etc ). I sort of understand it to a degree, because the cost of racing is so significant that even winning doesn’t guarantee break even, much less a modest profit. So, car owners will accept this money or goods in order to stay afloat. It’s the “ new normal “.
              I guess it depends on the context of how it is used. In one aspect yes, I can see many talented drivers like a Cole Duncan or even a Max Stambaugh not getting opportunities because of this and it is unfair. In another aspect, if a sponsor is a fan of a driver and will go with him instead of a specific car owner then I guess I can understand that as well. Kind of gives drivers a little safety net because in years past some owners may cut ties with a driver and able to keep a sponsor even though the sponsor was just there for the driver. I don’t know what started this trend really. Maybe it was some drivers making themselves more attractive to owners with money or maybe it is owners not able to attract sponsorship or both. Used to be if you were an owner, you tried to find the best driver & mechanic (unless you were one of the other) available, use them to find sponsors and let the results speak for themselves. At some point in time the process got flipped flopped.

Granted I can see a number of rich parents funding their kids which that is what it is. On the other hand, you have people like a Carson Macedo who brought funding and has talent. I would like to think that talent will always win out in the end and unless the sponsor is mommy & daddy, then eventually the funding for some drivers will run out without results. Sponsorship is what the sport relies on now with the cost of engines and tires now. I just wish more people were involved in the sport that could sponsor so that the Cole Duncans of the world could get better opportunities.

Comment

I guess it depends on the context of how it is used. In one aspect yes, I can see many talented drivers like a Cole Duncan or even a Max Stambaugh not getting opportunities because of this and it is unfair. In another aspect, if a sponsor is a fan of a driver and will go with him instead of a specific car owner then I guess I can understand that as well. Kind of gives drivers a little safety net because in years past some owners may cut ties with a driver and able to keep a sponsor even though the sponsor was just there for the driver. I don’t know what started this trend really. Maybe it was some drivers making themselves more attractive to owners with money or maybe it is owners not able to attract sponsorship or both. Used to be if you were an owner, you tried to find the best driver & mechanic (unless you were one of the other) available, use them to find sponsors and let the results speak for themselves. At some point in time the process got flipped flopped.

Granted I can see a number of rich parents funding their kids which that is what it is. On the other hand, you have people like a Carson Macedo who brought funding and has talent. I would like to think that talent will always win out in the end and unless the sponsor is mommy & daddy, then eventually the funding for some drivers will run out without results. Sponsorship is what the sport relies on now with the cost of engines and tires now. I just wish more people were involved in the sport that could sponsor so that the Cole Duncans of the world could get better opportunities.
                I agree with Cole Duncan but I am not sure Stambaugh has ever did anything to deserve a big-money ride. Has he ever won a 410 race? Not being a hater but he hasn’t impressed me in any 410 he has been in. He is nowhere near the driver Duncan is in my opinion.

Comment

• It's hard for me to imagine with the limited success Max has had in a 410 and the number of rides he's gotten that he's not bringing something to the table. I'm not saying wheelbarrows full of cash like others but he's bringing something.

Max does have a few 410 wins in Michigan though. Not sure about Ohio.

Comment

• Originally posted by Blaniac1 View Post

I agree with Cole Duncan but I am not sure Stambaugh has ever did anything to deserve a big-money ride. Has he ever won a 410 race? Not being a hater but he hasn’t impressed me in any 410 he has been in. He is nowhere near the driver Duncan is in my opinion.
                    I agree he and a lot of self funded/underfunded teams are nowhere near Duncan. I guess I was trying to show opposite ends of the spectrum. 1 driver who has accomplished a lot vs a driver who seems to have some potential. Like another poster said, Stambaugh may have some type of funding or motors but I wouldn't say it's the same type of funding that a Bayston or PPM bring.

I guess if I were a sponsor with 10's of thousands or maybe a couple 100k, I would be trying to get ahold of Duncan. Unfortunately for better or worst that's what it has come to. Drivers need to get the bigger sponsorship or pay to play in order to get in the better equipment

Comment

• The gorilla in the room that no one wants to talk about is it just costs too damn much to put a top flight team out there to compete. Eventually everyone hits their limit in what they want to spend. Face it if a guy is paying a driver, crew chief and a couple volunteer pit passes to help even if he wins a All Star show the owner looses money after paying all the bills for diesel, methanol, tires, and a night towards a motor rebuild. Yeah, glory of wins is great but the owner is still putting money in every week to keep going.

Comment

• Exactly

Comment

• Originally posted by staggerman View Post
                          The gorilla in the room that no one wants to talk about is it just costs too damn much to put a top flight team out there to compete. Eventually everyone hits their limit in what they want to spend. Face it if a guy is paying a driver, crew chief and a couple volunteer pit passes to help even if he wins a All Star show the owner looses money after paying all the bills for diesel, methanol, tires, and a night towards a motor rebuild. Yeah, glory of wins is great but the owner is still putting money in every week to keep going.
                          Hmmmm? Did the owner say this? If he did can you show me where he did because I would like to see it.

If that was the case then why not say so? Why fire Shaffer along with Jacob's? To most people that would sound better or make a lot more sense than what happened.

Yes, racing is expensive and that hasnt changed since I have been alive along with fans talking about the same things you posted 10, 20, 30, and 40 plus years ago.

Shaffer has won a lot of big races whether they was WoO, All-Stars, or race at Mansfield which helped bigtime to their entire teams bank account along with not tearing up much equipment along with finishing a lot of races and a ton of top 10's..
                          2019 Race Counter: 25
                          Tracks: Attica (5), Bubba (3), Eldora (7), Fremont (1), Mansfield (1), Sharon (1), Volusia (4), Waynesfield (1), Wayne County (2).
                          DirtVision: 42.
                          Speedshift: 32.
                          Rain: Way to many to even count this season!

Comment

• Originally posted by staggerman View Post
                            The gorilla in the room that no one wants to talk about is it just costs too damn much to put a top flight team out there to compete. Eventually everyone hits their limit in what they want to spend. Face it if a guy is paying a driver, crew chief and a couple volunteer pit passes to help even if he wins a All Star show the owner looses money after paying all the bills for diesel, methanol, tires, and a night towards a motor rebuild. Yeah, glory of wins is great but the owner is still putting money in every week to keep going.
                            We went to to one of the panels at Knoxville that had 3 track promoters doing an open discussion, "state of the sport," I believe is what it was called. Costs was one of the topics that they discussed. From the sounds of what they were saying, the owners have somewhat done it to themselves specifically when it comes to engines. what was said, in the past rules & guidelines were suggested but nothing was done due to resistance mainly from the top teams who could afford the top dollar engines. The one said that this has been going for decades & couldn't understand why the huge majority never have banded together to make changes. Hard part now is that there are so many players that would have to agree to make changes for the betterment of the sport like sanctioning bodies, owners, tracks and promoters, and builders.

Comment

• I did not read staggermans comment as pertaining to one specific team.
                              I read it as referring to many teams in general.
                              Eroc, I see no reference to the owner saying that but more or less a concensus that has been happening for many years.

Comment

We went to to one of the panels at Knoxville that had 3 track promoters doing an open discussion, "state of the sport," I believe is what it was called. Costs was one of the topics that they discussed. From the sounds of what they were saying, the owners have somewhat done it to themselves specifically when it comes to engines. what was said, in the past rules & guidelines were suggested but nothing was done due to resistance mainly from the top teams who could afford the top dollar engines. The one said that this has been going for decades & couldn't understand why the huge majority never have banded together to make changes. Hard part now is that there are so many players that would have to agree to make changes for the betterment of the sport like sanctioning bodies, owners, tracks and promoters, and builders.
                                I understand these "round tables" or "state of the sport" type of discussions, but again these people are looking at it through their eyes as well. In theory everybody wants change, but when pressed or put their feet to the fire when it is directed towards them they don't like change as much. Change usually means spending money and most people don't want that to come from their pockets, but want to see other spend it.

Tracks/promoters talking cost of engines, tires, etc... but then they don't want to upgrade their own facilities for the "betterment of the sport" such as having better fencing, cables on that fencing, along with taking a look at their facilities to make them safer, better for not only the drivers/teams, but also the fans as well. Case in point the WoO race where a car got stuck on top of the fence.

This has been going on for years and years in all of racing and likely won't change because everybody is looking for a little edge of speed to make their car a little faster and get a edge in racing.

Seen many tracks in PA that were rundown and downright have many issues which could be considered dangerous if something bad or freak thing happens, but they have made a lot of improvements not only to tracks, pit areas, but also the fan experience such as newer type of seating like buying old nascar seats and replacing the old wooden tight stands.

There is nothing better than going to the races, but with so many PPV options out there now if your not making an effort to bring in fans whether that means good racing, good food, clean facilities, and trying to cater to them which might mean bringing your 1950's seats up to at least the 2000's.
                                2019 Race Counter: 25
                                Tracks: Attica (5), Bubba (3), Eldora (7), Fremont (1), Mansfield (1), Sharon (1), Volusia (4), Waynesfield (1), Wayne County (2).
                                DirtVision: 42.
                                Speedshift: 32.
                                Rain: Way to many to even count this season!

Comment

Working...
                                X