Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2019 Silly Season News Thread (Teams/Drivers/Tracks)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GTigers55
    started a topic 2019 Silly Season News Thread (Teams/Drivers/Tracks)

2019 Silly Season News Thread (Teams/Drivers/Tracks)

September 20th Broc Martin announced that he and the Seeling 97 are splitting ways. He’ll return to his family 83M car for 2019. The plus for local race fans- 1 more car on the track next year.

Also, PPM teased last week that he’ll be running full time in a major series next year on last weeks buckeye speed zone and that an announcement will be coming in down the line.
    Last edited by GTigers55; September 27th, 2018, 09:52 AM. Reason: * Seeling, stupid autocorrect.

• SAF92
    replied
    Originally posted by Jim11h View Post
    I would think gio has plenty funding if wanted to go woo.
    I'm sure he does... But why spend your own money or family money when you're talented enough to drive on some else's dime.

Leave a comment:

• TheAMain
    replied
    Tim Shaffer will drive Ron Gorby's G1 car "just for this weekend" per this article. It is not made clear in the article if it just the Attica shows or if Wayne County is included.
    Tim Shaffer will be in action this weekend when the All Star Circuit of Champions travel to Attica Raceway Park for the Brad Doty Classic.

Leave a comment:

• Jim11h
    replied
    I would think gio has plenty funding if wanted to go woo.

Leave a comment:

• SAF92
    replied
    Personally hoping for Gio or Shaffer. Shaffer would be cool but Gio is most likely NASCAR bound in a few years. So I would rather see him on the WoO tour. I feel like Kerry Madsen and Shane Stewart are basically the same driver. Driving style, age, potential at this point in their careers... Give me Gio.

Leave a comment:

• DERF
    replied
    However I did read that the Jackson to the Madsen car was temporary so perhaps it will be Madsen in the 5 next year?

Leave a comment:

• DERF
    replied
    I wondered the same thing

Leave a comment:

• SAF92
    replied
    Originally posted by Sprint14 View Post
    Saw Shane Stewart & CJB will part ways after this season. Saw also Barry Jackson will be crew chief of the 2 car driven by Kerry Madsen.
    So CJB will need a driver and crew chief? If only there was an available veteran driver/crew chief duo with tons of recent success that have shown they have what it takes to win big races against the WoO and Posse

Leave a comment:

• DirtRacer42
    replied
    Saw Shane Stewart & CJB will part ways after this season. Saw also Barry Jackson will be crew chief of the 2 car driven by Kerry Madsen.
    Would really like to see what Cole Duncan could do on the WoO tour for a younger driver who has put in the time, went to a lot of different tracks, and has done well in the family car. Think sometimes these teams need to try somebody new and see what happens.

Second car if it really does happen for the 60 races I would like to see Joey Saldana get another opportunity.

Leave a comment:

• Sprint14
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Sprint14
    replied
    Originally posted by DirtRacer42 View Post

I understand these "round tables" or "state of the sport" type of discussions, but again these people are looking at it through their eyes as well. In theory everybody wants change, but when pressed or put their feet to the fire when it is directed towards them they don't like change as much. Change usually means spending money and most people don't want that to come from their pockets, but want to see other spend it.

Tracks/promoters talking cost of engines, tires, etc... but then they don't want to upgrade their own facilities for the "betterment of the sport" such as having better fencing, cables on that fencing, along with taking a look at their facilities to make them safer, better for not only the drivers/teams, but also the fans as well. Case in point the WoO race where a car got stuck on top of the fence.

This has been going on for years and years in all of racing and likely won't change because everybody is looking for a little edge of speed to make their car a little faster and get a edge in racing.

Seen many tracks in PA that were rundown and downright have many issues which could be considered dangerous if something bad or freak thing happens, but they have made a lot of improvements not only to tracks, pit areas, but also the fan experience such as newer type of seating like buying old nascar seats and replacing the old wooden tight stands.

There is nothing better than going to the races, but with so many PPV options out there now if your not making an effort to bring in fans whether that means good racing, good food, clean facilities, and trying to cater to them which might mean bringing your 1950's seats up to at least the 2000's.
    I understand that too which is why it is important to consider the source & context of what is said. In this case the 3 (4 if you include the moderator) seemed like very reputable individuals & have put money into their facilities in terms of safety & fan experience. They discussed the changes & costs they have invested in both. All 3 agreed when it comes to safety some of the biggest issues are costs either from other tracks or car owners that don't want the added expense. At the same time when you talk about rule changes to save money on engines, the top teams or teams with money fight it because they can afford it and it gives them an advantage. Then you get into issues with aligning with tracks in your area and other sanctioning bodies and a vicious cycle.

They even talked about keeping facilities clean, presentable, efficient, and put the responsibility on themselves to provide a good race surface for the teams to compete on and put on a show. They talked about things they look into to try to continue to improve their program. I know that some promoters will talk a big game & do very little when push comes to shove, but these 3 seem to put their money where their mouth is.

Leave a comment:

• DERF
    replied
    AH YES the car that got caught on the fence at WOO show funny you should use that example the WOO left the car hang there while they finished the race are you F----- serious.

Leave a comment:

• DirtRacer42
    replied

We went to to one of the panels at Knoxville that had 3 track promoters doing an open discussion, "state of the sport," I believe is what it was called. Costs was one of the topics that they discussed. From the sounds of what they were saying, the owners have somewhat done it to themselves specifically when it comes to engines. what was said, in the past rules & guidelines were suggested but nothing was done due to resistance mainly from the top teams who could afford the top dollar engines. The one said that this has been going for decades & couldn't understand why the huge majority never have banded together to make changes. Hard part now is that there are so many players that would have to agree to make changes for the betterment of the sport like sanctioning bodies, owners, tracks and promoters, and builders.
    I understand these "round tables" or "state of the sport" type of discussions, but again these people are looking at it through their eyes as well. In theory everybody wants change, but when pressed or put their feet to the fire when it is directed towards them they don't like change as much. Change usually means spending money and most people don't want that to come from their pockets, but want to see other spend it.

Tracks/promoters talking cost of engines, tires, etc... but then they don't want to upgrade their own facilities for the "betterment of the sport" such as having better fencing, cables on that fencing, along with taking a look at their facilities to make them safer, better for not only the drivers/teams, but also the fans as well. Case in point the WoO race where a car got stuck on top of the fence.

This has been going on for years and years in all of racing and likely won't change because everybody is looking for a little edge of speed to make their car a little faster and get a edge in racing.

Seen many tracks in PA that were rundown and downright have many issues which could be considered dangerous if something bad or freak thing happens, but they have made a lot of improvements not only to tracks, pit areas, but also the fan experience such as newer type of seating like buying old nascar seats and replacing the old wooden tight stands.

There is nothing better than going to the races, but with so many PPV options out there now if your not making an effort to bring in fans whether that means good racing, good food, clean facilities, and trying to cater to them which might mean bringing your 1950's seats up to at least the 2000's.

Leave a comment:

• RRacer70
    replied
    I did not read staggermans comment as pertaining to one specific team.
    I read it as referring to many teams in general.
    Eroc, I see no reference to the owner saying that but more or less a concensus that has been happening for many years.

Leave a comment:

• Sprint14
    replied
    Originally posted by staggerman View Post
    The gorilla in the room that no one wants to talk about is it just costs too damn much to put a top flight team out there to compete. Eventually everyone hits their limit in what they want to spend. Face it if a guy is paying a driver, crew chief and a couple volunteer pit passes to help even if he wins a All Star show the owner looses money after paying all the bills for diesel, methanol, tires, and a night towards a motor rebuild. Yeah, glory of wins is great but the owner is still putting money in every week to keep going.
    We went to to one of the panels at Knoxville that had 3 track promoters doing an open discussion, "state of the sport," I believe is what it was called. Costs was one of the topics that they discussed. From the sounds of what they were saying, the owners have somewhat done it to themselves specifically when it comes to engines. what was said, in the past rules & guidelines were suggested but nothing was done due to resistance mainly from the top teams who could afford the top dollar engines. The one said that this has been going for decades & couldn't understand why the huge majority never have banded together to make changes. Hard part now is that there are so many players that would have to agree to make changes for the betterment of the sport like sanctioning bodies, owners, tracks and promoters, and builders.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X