**HUGE** FAST news

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• **HUGE** FAST news

Huge news for regional racers. The FAST 410 series is now owned by Aaron Fry and from this release I'd say it and the BOSS winged will be it's own series. Wonder if the rules will change closer to BOSS or if they will keep FAST rules. Also, sounds like the future of the FAST 305 series is going to be pretty bleak. The BOSS non wing series will stay it's own independent series. Interested to see how the interest in this tour will be next year.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
    Friday, Oct. 5, 2018
    740-703-3768

By Brian Liskai

FREMONT, Ohio - When the FAST 410 Championship Series embarks on it's 11th season in 2019 it will do so under new ownership. Aaron Fry, who created the Buckeye Outlaw Sprint Series (BOSS) in 2011, has assumed ownership of the FAST organization.

FAST began in 2009 under Bryan Autullo, Scott Porter and Chris Kettman, sprint car fans who wanted to bring more recognition and funds to the teams that raced weekly at Attica Raceway Park and Fremont Speedway – thus the FAST acronym stood for Fremont Attica Sprint Title. Fremont Speedway Promoter Rich Farmer took over the FAST series in 2014 and expanded it to include a few other tracks and changed the name to simply FAST Championship Series.

"I have always had a very good working relationship with Aaron and the BOSS series. They have always lived up to their promises and Aaron has the same goal as I have had....to do what's best for the sport of sprint car racing. BOSS and FAST are both series for the working man. Aaron and his team will continue the great progress we've made with FAST."

"I want to thank Paul Kistler and Kistler Racing Products for throwing his support behind the creation of FAST and for Bob Williams of All Pro Aluminum Cylinder Heads who continued that support the past couple of years and every one of the fantastic marketing partners who made the series work. I also want to thank all the teams, tracks and fans for their support of FAST over the past 10 years," added Farmer.

Farmer recently announced he was stepping away as the promoter of Fremont Speedway after 11 years at the wheel of "The Track That Action Built" citing increasing time demands for his growing businesses which include six NAPA Auto Parts stores, a limousine and party bus company and a real estate company. That prompted his discussions with Fry to take over FAST.

"I'm honored to be chosen by Rich to carry on the FAST name and we plan to do our best to make him, the marketing partners and the teams proud to be associated with BOSS/FAST," Fry said.

BOSS has been and will continue in 2019 to be a non-wing sprint car series since its inception. Fry added three winged BOSS events in 2018 as a test which proved to be highly successful with 27 cars at Atomic Speedway near Chillicothe, Ohio; 26 cars at Gas City Speedway in Gas City, Indiana; and 29 cars at Montpelier Motor Speedway in Montpelier, Indiana.

"We recognize the great tradition of winged sprint car racing in the Ohio, Indiana and Pennsylvania region. When we created BOSS we did so to give more racers the option to compete. BOSS has grown every year in terms of the number of competitors and tracks and it only made sense to take a look at a regional winged series," said Fry, who is a former winged sprint car driver.

Fry said he will keep the FAST Championship Series name. "It's grown to be a recognizable name with great marketing partners and teams....we have no plans to change that," he said.

Fry said he is aiming for 20-25 FAST Championship Series events in 2019 targeting tracks in all of Ohio, Eastern Indiana and possibly a swing through Pennsylvania. He said the BOSS non-wing series will once again plan 20-25 races as well in the same regions.

"We will work with Rich and the existing marketing partners and we plan to have a FAST point fund for at least the top 10 teams depending on how much sponsorship is obtained," Fry said.

"With the three winged races BOSS held this past year we have gotten a lot of inquiries from tracks and joining forces now with FAST will open that up to more possibilities. We will, however, stick to the core of BOSS and FAST and that's to have a series for the weekend racers. Our goal is to keep this fun for the race teams and fans," Fry added.

As for the JLH General Contractor FAST 305 Championship Series, Farmer said he is contemplating it's future and no decision has yet to be made.

Those who are seeking additional information regarding the FAST Championship Series or BOSS series can contact Fry at 740-703-3768.

FAST 410 Championship Series Champions:
    2009-Craig Mintz
    2010-Byron Reed
    2011-Bryan Sebetto
    2012-Bryan Sebetto
    2013-Craig Mintz
    2014-Byron Reed
    2015-Byron Reed
    2016-Byron Reed
    2017-DJ Foos
    2018-Craig Mintz

BOSS Champions:
    2012-Dustin Smith
    2013-Tony Beaber
    2014-Mike Miller
    2015-Shawn Westerfeld
    2016-Shawn Westerfeld
    2017-Dustin Smith
    2018-Final point race is Oct. 13

2018 Race Counter: 24
    Atomic (1), Attica (7), Mansfield (3), Wayne Co. (2), Fremont (3), Montpelier (2), Eldora (1), Waynesfield (1), Kokomo (1), Limaland (1), 35 Raceway (1), Gas City (1)

Good news. We need less sanctions muddying up the water in this sport, not more.

Comment

Originally posted by Saphead View Post
      Good news. We need less sanctions muddying up the water in this sport, not more.
      Agree on less sanctioning groups in Ohio ...

Would also like to see them going back to a more normal FAST schedule (which I doubt happens and likely expands more with eastern Indiana and western PA) so will be interesting to see how that shakes out with local teams.

Also would like to see them have a better purse than a regular local show.

Now if they would run both series together would make for a good show ... FAST with the winged cars and BOSS non-wing cars would be a interesting show. Might even be able to charge a little bit more than a normal show, but less than a All-Star show (IMO).
      Last edited by DirtRacer42; 1 week ago.

Comment

Originally posted by DirtRacer42 View Post

Now if they would run both series together would make for a good show ... FAST with the winged cars and BOSS non-wing cars would be a interesting show. Might even be able to charge a little bit more than a normal show, but less than a All-Star show (IMO).
        You might be on to something here... I’d love to see FAST/BOSS combo shows. $1k extra to win both features anyone? I wouldn’t mind paying a few extra bucks to see that.

Comment

Heard the fast 305's are done too

Comment

Originally posted by RYAN5R View Post
            Heard the fast 305's are done too
            That’s the drift I got from the announcement. I can’t say I’m terribly surprised there. Hopefully the regular show purses will increase for them at Attica/Fremont.
            2018 Race Counter: 24
            Atomic (1), Attica (7), Mansfield (3), Wayne Co. (2), Fremont (3), Montpelier (2), Eldora (1), Waynesfield (1), Kokomo (1), Limaland (1), 35 Raceway (1), Gas City (1)

Comment

I sure hope there are NO FAST 305 road shows. The purse structure for the traveling 305 events was a standard FAST purse, and no tow money for the current top 10 in points. Hoping the new powers to be at Fremont pay the same weekly 305 purse as Attica. And, hopefully at some point in my lifetime , both tracks can work together to perform some meaningful teching, both in cubic inches and in other components. As for FAST 410’s, now is a good time to try for some Indiana events, and possibly in Michigan, at tracks who cannot afford the ASCOC purse and sanction. It’s been 13 years since the former M.AS.S. Series did this. There have been changes in track management at many of the Indiana / Michigan tracks since then, so possibly it should revisited, as the Press Release stated. I do hope the new management starts charging the tracks a modest sanction fee ( FAST did not in the past ) so that there could be some tow money for the top 10 in points. Otherwise, it will be tough to get cars to travel.

Comment

Did BOSS charge a sanction fee?
                Aaron Fry seemed to be organized and had cars following.

What about former OSCS now renamed?

OVSCS seemed to have a few more tracks they went to this year. The shows were decent with the ones I attended.

Comment

Aaron has built a great series with BOSS and their winged shows were good this year. Just my thoughts here - Keep the purses for the FAST series modest so there is no conflict with the All Stars. $2000 to win or something like that. Maybe offer some tow money but don’t get too carried away. Keep Attica/Fremont as the home base of the series with 3-4 races at each of them, then branch out to other tracks within a few hours of that area. Gas City, Montpelier, Waynesfield, Lawrenceburg, Atomic, Mansfield, maybe Lima.

Comment

BOSS FAST do the Great Lake Race at Mansfield.
                    I dont know if they would be at WCS. WCS discontinued BOSS wingless as it did not pull in a crowd for them there but now with the winged FAST maybe they would do a show.
                    I think Fremont and Attica depend on FAST to keep cars at the tracks there or otherwise they travel which is what those tracks did not want and was the whole point of the series.

Comment

The release said they are looking at 20-25 races. Ohio, Eastern Indiana and maybe PA.

If they venture outside of Fremont and Attica for a majority of their races I know what a lot of people are going to say. Those guys won't travel. Well maybe he doesn't need them to travel. Guys that want to run local can still run Fremont and or Attica. Maybe this series will be good for guys who want to travel but can't commit to the grind of the All Star schedule as the All Stars seem to be venturing out of Ohio more and more.

Guys that come to mind. Philo, Lee Jacobs, TJ Michael, Brubaker, Cap Henry, Aryton Olson, Cale Thomas, Cole Duncan.

If the point fund is good, pay through the field is strong and there are other incentives maybe this does fill a need.

Comment

Yes it will be great for those who dont travel the entire all star series. The working weekly job racer who could go make these and have a point fund would be a deal.

I just would want to see them leave Attica and Fremont a little more to go to other Ohio tracks. Like to see a show at Hilltop.

Could be a nice feeder for a driver who may in the future want to try the all stsrs.

Comment

Originally posted by hoopscoach View Post
                          Aaron has built a great series with BOSS and their winged shows were good this year. Just my thoughts here - Keep the purses for the FAST series modest so there is no conflict with the All Stars. $2000 to win or something like that. Maybe offer some tow money but don’t get too carried away. Keep Attica/Fremont as the home base of the series with 3-4 races at each of them, then branch out to other tracks within a few hours of that area. Gas City, Montpelier, Waynesfield, Lawrenceburg, Atomic, Mansfield, maybe Lima.
                          That "to win" seems pretty low for any type of series let alone normal 410 regular shows (IMO) especially when Fremont and Attica are 3,000 to win on a normal regular night show and can't see those teams/driver venturing away and spending more money on the road, less time at home for less to win/purse going away from those tracks. To me, if they keep 3,000 to win and bump up the rest of the purse that would be a good start. The problem with branching out to far away from your base is you count on other tracks, other series, etc... to make your show good which happens everywhere, but right now if you go to western PA when Sharon or Wayne County is running where are the cars going to come from? If you go to eastern IN where are the cars going to come from if Attica/Fremont are running that weekend and the same thing could be said if your running in Michigan where not many 410's are running up there.

Going to have to play with the schedule and try and hit/miss when other tracks are down to try and get cars to travel. Ever since the FAST branched out the drivers/teams that followed have went down. Remember this as well even if more teams/drivers jump on-board what is that going to do for the local tracks that carry the 410's on a weekly basis?

Originally posted by MIRacing View Post
                          The release said they are looking at 20-25 races. Ohio, Eastern Indiana and maybe PA.

If they venture outside of Fremont and Attica for a majority of their races I know what a lot of people are going to say. Those guys won't travel. Well maybe he doesn't need them to travel. Guys that want to run local can still run Fremont and or Attica. Maybe this series will be good for guys who want to travel but can't commit to the grind of the All Star schedule as the All Stars seem to be venturing out of Ohio more and more.

Guys that come to mind. Philo, Lee Jacobs, TJ Michael, Brubaker, Cap Henry, Aryton Olson, Cale Thomas, Cole Duncan.

If the point fund is good, pay through the field is strong and there are other incentives maybe this does fill a need.
                          Those guys might venture out, but not for a lower pay scale like mentioned above, but who else will especially when your going to areas that aren't strong in the 410 areas and your counting on guys for the base group to be from Attica, Fremont, Wayne County area. Like said above you have to really work the schedule and hit it when those tracks have off nights, but wondering if those tracks will have less off nights simply because of what happened this year with all the rain-outs.

Originally posted by RRacer70 View Post
                          Yes it will be great for those who dont travel the entire all star series. The working weekly job racer who could go make these and have a point fund would be a deal.

I just would want to see them leave Attica and Fremont a little more to go to other Ohio tracks. Like to see a show at Hilltop.

Could be a nice feeder for a driver who may in the future want to try the all stars.
                          It could be good, but could also upset the apple cart as well meaning the local tracks with regular 410 racing as well. I personally think it could hurt local tracks and that means some fans could stay home more than attend a "local regular show" especially if they feel some of the better guys are doing the FAST series and they are at other events. Going to Hilltop doesn't make much sense to me unless they are going to do it when Attica isn't running. First off, they don't have a 410 group of cars and also your either counting on taking cars from Attica or Lernerville so that makes it a little tougher unless like I stated they run on a night that those tracks aren't in action.

Honestly for me if they kept it a "Ohio" only tracks that might actually work where they hit Attica/Fremont one weekend -- Sharon/Wayne County another weekend -- Waynesfield/Lima another weekend -- Atomic and somebody else or a two-day show at Atomic so teams could be fairly close for a two-day show to off-set the drive. Also don't have to follow that exactly along with have dates opened for All-Star/WoO shows and the bigger shows in and around Ohio for them to compete it. I think sometimes everybody wants to be the next big series and keep branching out, but sometimes if you keep it more local you might have a bigger following as well.

Comment

Okay they are talking 25 shows for the season that could be spread across the tracks nicely over 6 or 7 months.

My thought is if they hit the tracks with only one race at each track per month. Places like Hilltop to have a sprint show when Attica not running them or closed that night.
                            I think Hilltop would pull a lot of WCS cars to make a decent size show.

Some of the Attica, Fremont, WCS are only going to run those tracks and not travel is just normal.

Comment

Originally posted by DirtRacer42 View Post

That "to win" seems pretty low for any type of series let alone normal 410 regular shows (IMO) especially when Fremont and Attica are 3,000 to win on a normal regular night show and can't see those teams/driver venturing away and spending more money on the road, less time at home for less to win/purse going away from those tracks. To me, if they keep 3,000 to win and bump up the rest of the purse that would be a good start. The problem with branching out to far away from your base is you count on other tracks, other series, etc... to make your show good which happens everywhere, but right now if you go to western PA when Sharon or Wayne County is running where are the cars going to come from? If you go to eastern IN where are the cars going to come from if Attica/Fremont are running that weekend and the same thing could be said if your running in Michigan where not many 410's are running up there.

Going to have to play with the schedule and try and hit/miss when other tracks are down to try and get cars to travel. Ever since the FAST branched out the drivers/teams that followed have went down. Remember this as well even if more teams/drivers jump on-board what is that going to do for the local tracks that carry the 410's on a weekly basis?
                              My mistake with the payout. I didn’t realize Attica & Fremont were paying that much to win for a weekly show. $3000 to win would be fine for this series.

Here’s a mock schedule for 2019. Attempting to avoid conflicts with regular races at Attica and Fremont, as well as the All Stars or other major sprint races.

Apr 5 Attica
                              Apr 20 Fremont
                              May 11 Sharon
                              May 17 Attica
                              May 18 Fremont
                              June 7 Attica
                              June 30 Fremont
                              July 2 Waynesfield
                              July 5 Lima
                              July 19 Attica
                              Aug 3 Fremont
                              Aug 10 Mansfield
                              Aug 16 Attica
                              Aug 17 Atomic
                              Aug 24 Lawrenceburg
                              Sept 13 Fremont
                              Sept 27 Gas City
                              Sept 28 Montpelier

18 races - 5 each at Attica & Fremont, with 1 race at 8 other tracks. It could be modified a little to add 2 more races at Wayne County and somewhere like Muskingum County. You know more about what would be a good fit for that last addition than I do. That would give them 10 races at tracks other than Attica/Fremont, and 20 total.

Comment

Working...
                              X