2018 Ohio Drivers Points FINAL Top 25

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2018 Ohio Drivers Points FINAL Top 25

I did this last year and I decided to bring it back for a second year. Listed are the top 20 drivers in points for races taking place within Ohio based on top 10 finishes only. Winners gained 10 points, second got 9, and so on down to 1 point for 10th. A total of 52 unique dates of racing occured this year, I.e. a driver who competed in a race every day that was possible would have ran 52 races. Last year Cole Duncan won with 185 points with Tim Shaffer coming in second by only a single point in the 54 contested races. Keep in mind these only include races that were contested within Ohio's borders.

Enjoy!
    Driver Points Top 10s Top 5s Wins Best Finish
    Cap Henry 160 25 17 5 1
    Tim Shaffer 137 20 14 6 1
    Craig Mintz 133 18 14 4 1
    Cole Duncan 129 19 13 6 1
    Danny Smith 117 15 14 1 1
    Lee Jacobs 115 16 11 1 1
    Stuart Brubaker 110 19 9 2 1
    Carson Macedo 106 16 11 2 1
    Aaron Reutzel 91 15 9 3 1
    Byron Reed 90 14 11 1 1
    Jordan Ryan 90 13 10 2 1
    Danny Mumaw 77 9 8 4 1
    Trey Jacobs 77 12 7 0 2
    Jac Haudenschild 76 11 7 3 1
    Chad Kemenah 74 14 7 2 1
    Travis Philo 74 16 5 1
    Chris Andrews 68 11 6 2 1
    Ron Blair 68 10 6 0 2
    Dave Blaney 67 13 7 1 1
    Donny Schatz 67 7 7 5 1
    Last edited by GTigers55; 3 weeks ago.
    2018 Race Counter: 24
    Atomic (1), Attica (7), Mansfield (3), Wayne Co. (2), Fremont (3), Montpelier (2), Eldora (1), Waynesfield (1), Kokomo (1), Limaland (1), 35 Raceway (1), Gas City (1)

Very interesting. Good work, GT. If I interpret the chart correctly: Donny Schatz competed in 7 Ohio races, won 5 and never finished out of the top 5. That's impressive. Maybe its time for him to go latemodel racing more often. Although highly unlikely, it would be facinating if he did double duty at the upcomming World Finals.

Comment

Originally posted by racemak View Post
      Very interesting. Good work, GT. If I interpret the chart correctly: Donny Schatz competed in 7 Ohio races, won 5 and never finished out of the top 5. That's impressive. Maybe its time for him to go latemodel racing more often. Although highly unlikely, it would be facinating if he did double duty at the upcomming World Finals.
      Its not unlikely. He's done it each of the past few seasons.

Comment

Mostly, he competed in 8 Ohio races all at Eldora, but did not place in the top 10 in one of the events. He had 5 wins, a 2nd place finish, a 3rd place finish, and 13th place finish.
        Atomic (1), Attica (7), Mansfield (3), Wayne Co. (2), Fremont (3), Montpelier (2), Eldora (1), Waynesfield (1), Kokomo (1), Limaland (1), 35 Raceway (1), Gas City (1)

Comment

Since Stewart owns his car the appearances at Eldora makes sense.

Comment

Originally posted by RRacer70 View Post
            Since Stewart owns his car the appearances at Eldora makes sense.
            That and all 8 of the races were World Of Outlaws races. Wish some of those shows would disperse to other well deserving tracks within the state...

Comment

I think you are up against the political machine.
              WCS has tried to get a show and always been refused the sprint show but they give them the late models.

Comment

Originally posted by GTigers55 View Post

That and all 8 of the races were World Of Outlaws races. Wish some of those shows would disperse to other well deserving tracks within the state...
                I agree that it would be nice to see more WoO races in Ohio, but taking them away from Eldora I am not in favor of that move at all. Eldora is one of the best facilities in the county and not just in Ohio along with Eldora has been with the WoO from the beginning when many others didn't want to put up that kind of money.

I realize your a younger guy, but a lot of history has been made at Eldora with the WoO and the two go hand-in-hand along with each has grown with each other as well.

Now if the WoO could get 12 dates in Ohio I would be fine with it of adding a race at Wayne County, Atomic, another race at Attica, and possibly even Mansfield if they get the boulder situation fixed. Some will say you don't want to over-saturate a good thing, but for example California has 13 dates and don't even have to many 410's there. Pennsylvania has 12 races which they should since they are one of the biggest hot beds for 410 sprint car racing. Ohio should be on par with those states for getting WoO dates.

Got to remember a lot of those dates at Eldora are double shows, and even a triple show with the Kings Royal weekend. They are only in Ohio for 4 weekends and two of those are one day shows. I remember as a kid seemingly going to Eldora every couple of weeks to watch these shows.

WCS has tried to get a show and always been refused the sprint show but they give them the late models.
                As for the points deal good write-up, but think this point system is a little flawed at times.

Competition should matter (IMO) and just because you win local regular races shouldn't count the same as a bigger event and I believe bigger shows should either get more points or scored differently. It reminds me of a late model driver winning all the local shows, but then when the big boys come to town he either doesn't show up, goes some place else, or seems to always fall out for mechanical issues while running in the back.

Like anything else I am betting other circumstances play into it as well. Seating capacity is becoming a issue at some tracks and wanting to have the WoO's along with everything else that goes wiht it. Timing of wanting a race, who else is racing in that area, what other tracks want a event, etc...

Really wish some Ohio tracks would take the lead from PA tracks that have really improved their facilities whether it be on the track, in the pits, or on the property which includes seats and seating capacity. It is amazing what some of those tracks have done in the last couple of years where it seems the Ohio tracks are just keep doing the same with little upgrades here and there. Maybe them having almost double the schedule helps with starting earlier and ending later helps as well.

As for the late models a lot easier to get a LM race because of "competition" of having two national series and not having the travel schedule that the sprint cars have of going all across the country a couple times a year.

Comment

Originally posted by DirtRacer42 View Post
                  As for the points deal good write-up, but think this point system is a little flawed at times.

Competition should matter (IMO) and just because you win local regular races shouldn't count the same as a bigger event and I believe bigger shows should either get more points or scored differently. It reminds me of a late model driver winning all the local shows, but then when the big boys come to town he either doesn't show up, goes some place else, or seems to always fall out for mechanical issues while running in the back.
                  Out of 25 drivers there are 13 drivers who race primarily within Ohio. There are 5 all stars within the top 20, 1 outlaw driver, and 1 invader who does quite a bit of racing in Ohio. I think that kind of disproves your point since drivers who only race maybe a half of the possible events in Ohio still end up in the top 20. You don't just luck into 10 + top 10's in a season or a win. There are a few outliers extremely low in the points who may have gotten one top 10 due to low car counts or lots of wreckage, but the cream rises to the top still IMO. I'd be hard pressed to bet against the top 4 in points at any race they are at.

Also, this is just a for fun project I do. It's not like it pays anything or has any prestige. I bet 99.9 % of drivers in the list will never even see it. If you think you can do better feel free to compile the stats and make a points system the way you think it should be made.

Just a summary of the top 10 (Reed/Ryan tied for 10th)
                  Cap Henry - 4th in Points at Both Fremont and Attica, 2nd in points in FAST, GLDN winner at Mansfield
                  Tim Shaffer - Won 6 events at 4 tracks (tied for most wins) including SCWC at Mansfield, Jim Ford at Fremont, Pete Jacobs Memorial at Wayne County, and Night one of Dirt Classic Ohio at Attica
                  Craig Mintz - Fremont track champion, FAST Champion, third in points at Attica. Did not travel around as much as some other drivers.
                  Cole Duncan - 6 time winner at Atomic Speedway, tied with Shaffer for most wins... I believe he ran most of speedweek
                  Danny Smith - Atomic Track Champion for back to back years, played the bridesmaid in a whole lot of races at Atomic this year, hall of famer
                  Lee Jacobs - Took home 4th in the Kings Royal after starting midpack, traveled a lot within the state and competed in a lot of the larger events
                  Stuart Brubaker - Attica Track Champion, 2nd in Fremont Points, 3rd in FAST points
                  Carson Macedo - 2nd in ASCoC points
                  Aaron Reutzel - ASCoC champion and rookie of the year, won an outlaw show this year as well
                  Byron Reed - One of the top 3 northwest Ohio sprint car drivers in history, 2nd in Attica Points
                  Jordan Ryan - Wayne County Track Champion, 6th in points at Attica

Comment

I'm reluctant to be critical of GT's point system because I don't have a better one. I suppose the drivers could be ranked by how much money they won. Tim Shaffer is the 2018 Ohio Dollar Champ. That was easy. If there's any insight to be gained from that observation its a shallow one. I accept GT's effort as the definitive top drivers list.
                    Last edited by racemak; 3 weeks ago.

Comment

I'm reluctant to be critical of GT's point system because I don't have a better one. I suppose the drivers could be ranked by how much money they won. Tim Shaffer is the 2018 Ohio Dollar Champ. That was easy. If there's any insight to be gained from that observation its a shallow one. I accept GT's effort as the definitive top drivers list.
                      As I mentioned in my comments it was a good write-up, but didn't mean to make him butt-hurt over it like it seemed to do especially when he throws "if you can do better" thing out there. Again I said it was a good write-up with interesting talking points and no I am not looking to do something better.

I simply believe that a WoO race, a All-Star race, or even the special race at Mansfield should be counted differently or awarded more points based on the better/tougher competition and harder to win than a normal regular local show where it is mostly only locals racing in it. Not trying to redo or say my opinion should count more it is just my opinion and sorry that my opinion doesn't match his opinion on what he feels is equal.

For example if I was doing such a thing I would give more credit/points towards the bigger shows such as a WoO race gets you 5 points, a All-Star win gets you 4 points, and local show gets you 3 points type of deal or whatever points you use or standards. Again not trying to put down his work just feel more should be given toward bigger events and again not saying a local win should be looked down on, but simply they are easier to win then those other events I mentioned.

Comment

I thought it was pretty cool. Dirt your logic works but what about local races that guys like Shaffer and them show up to race? Does that race get accredited more race points? OR does it need to have the " banner " name to increase points?

Good work Tiger. It's always fun to see someone put together a points system or rankings. That's the fun of it of seeing others' reasoning vs others. That's why this message board was created.

Comment

It is possible to over think a point system. NASCAR proves this every season. Do any of you understand how Cup points are awarded? I would be interested to see the result your point system, DirtRacer. Would it be similar to GT's, or totally different? A long off season is ahead. This kind of stuff could keep Pitgate interesting.

Comment

Great work as always GT. Thank you for your time and effort. Don't let posters bother you. I have been thinking this for a while now. "Dirtracer" has to be Erocs twin, alter ego, or just Eroc himself coming back under another name to stir the pot again.

Comment

GT I applaud your dedication to keeping this message board lively and resourceful.

I enjoyed looking at your points as it was really cool to see how the locals ranked in it.

You could design points system to cover every aspect of every sanction, events, and weekly and still someone wouldnt be happy.

I look forward to your posts and the creativity of content that keeps us going.

Comment

Working...
                              X