NYTimes Sprint Cars

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NYTimes Sprint Cars

I couldnt get link to post so maybe someone can.

www.nytimes.com

under editors picks

The culture wars of car racing.

Writer does use stereotypes too much and does not give best image of fans.

What it does is give coverage of dirt track sprint racing.

This is the Oct. 18 issue.
    Last edited by RRacer70; 3 weeks ago.

Yeah. I thought the author made sprint car and dirt track fans seem like back woods hillbillies. Pissed me off more than anything.

Comment

Yes sadly they seemed to use pictures that were not the best of fans and made it seem like it it was all rednecks that went.
      Though a few nice car pics.

Also felt it was unnecessary to mention Ward.

She seemed more impressed to be with Tony and have wine.
      Then comments had drunks who went to see crashes.
      Some positive positives would have been nice..

Comment

The New York Times ? I believe that is the newspaper that Donald Trump keeps referring to as the world wide leader in “ fake news “. 😀

Comment

Originally posted by Food For Thought View Post
          The New York Times ? I believe that is the newspaper that Donald Trump keeps referring to as the world wide leader in “ fake news “. 😀
          you mean this guy? Donald Trump has said 3084 false things as U.S. president

Comment

I actually thought it was a well written piece. I didn't feel offended by anything mentioned, other than some minor technical specifications were off I thought the writer did well.

I read it through the writer's eyes which was someone probably from the city/suburbs and the only form of racing they know is Nascar. The article seemed more or less to be a comparison between Nascar & dirt track racing, and gets you inside as to why Tony Stewart loves it. A lot/ 98-99 % of the readers of the New York times are not dirt track or racing fans so the writer has to write towards them and not us, the hardcore fans.

I didn't think that the article made us fans look like hillbillies with no teeth. Just that a majority of the fan base has a rural fan base and not too many of us will be going to our 25 floor office building on wall St.

Comment

Sorry I still think it made the fan base look bad. I have Dr and lawyer friends attend and just did not like the redneck fan image projected.

Comment

Working...
              X