No announcement yet.

Cody Sommer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

800 million dollars should fix almost any problem with plenty of cash left over. I know pavement is dying. If anything can kill it, its probably Sandusky Speedway. I live a mile away and as of this summer no longer support it. Lorain is better, but has a long way to go to recapture the glory days of pavement racing in northern Ohio.

Comment

I go to Sandusky once a year on $1 night and still leave before the features. I can't stand the screwing around they do.

Comment

I did notice that the pavement racing takes forever, they are in no hurry. Been to a few different pavement tracks and was amazed how much time they wasted and the track officials just seemed to be not caring on operations but more on the social.

Did notice Mansfield on first year had several workers from pavement racing and tracks and they had terrible work ethic compared to crews at Attica and WCS. They had the pavement attitude and such a waste of time in the pits and on the track.

Mansfield did correct some of that but still had some of them there.

Comment

Trust me, not all officials who work asphalt like the delays. Sometimes it's the person(s) in the headsets running the timetable. Sometimes its the drivers. Also, I have been to many tracks throughout the country and it seems to be a regional thing how the tracks are run. There are very efficient asphalt tracks and dirt tracks which waste a lot of time too. I agree, the asphalt tracks in Northern Ohio could take some direction from how efficient Attica and Fremont been run throughout the years.

However, you call the Mansfield fiasco of watering the track at race start times last year and not start racing until 10 or 11 as efficient? Checkers falling at 2 or 3am when there was zero weather concern? The people in charge were dirt, not asphalt.

One of the most efficient short track operations will be the upcoming World Finals in Charlotte. The three top touring divisions with all the cars and it is amazing logistically how good the show is run.

Comment

The FAST show that went to 3am was directed by Farmer from Fremont from my understanding. Dont know how he directed such a show after running Fremont so smoothly.
            I was not present at that show but friends gave me some details.

They corrected most of those problems the next year as shows were run smoothly for the most part.

I hope to see even more improvement this coming year like rock problem solved.

I also believe the track prep was Cody himself who was learning.

Comment

Originally posted by dzirzow View Post
              Trust me, not all officials who work asphalt like the delays. Sometimes it's the person(s) in the headsets running the timetable. Sometimes its the drivers. Also, I have been to many tracks throughout the country and it seems to be a regional thing how the tracks are run.
              Not sure how it is the drivers because at a track you have race officials that have command of the entire night from the drivers meetings and telling teams to get to the staging area before your heat race is ready to go, get the cars on the track for heat races as soon as the next heat is checkered and those cars are pulling off the track, and if the drivers/teams aren't ready to go than they miss their opportunity to race and make money.

My biggest complaint has always been the "hot dog" intermission break for no reason. I don't mind if the track needs a little track work/prep, but to have a intermission for no reason is a waste of time and drags out programs. Tracks should try and get the show rolling at or near the official start time and keep things rolling until the last checkered flag fly's. Most tracks need to work on getting races over at a decent time so most families can attend and also see the features and not have to leave early because the family is tired or don't want to be there any longer. Less divisions is a good thing as well and (IMO) only 3 and at the most 4 should be ran during a night.

Comment

Yes my biggest complaint is too many divisions, just kills the show. Im ok with 4 divisions on a regular night but specials no more than 1 or none support divisions.

Too many divisions...Hilltop
                Too many support divisions with sanction...Atomic

Considered going to a few Atomic shows then saw how many support divisions so went elsewhere.

Intermissions are killer time wasters. Your intermission should be at the time of track prep and no others. People going to go concession when a support division they dont watch is running or doing that track prep time.

Comment

Originally posted by RRacer70 View Post
                  Intermissions are killer time wasters. Your intermission should be at the time of track prep and no others. People going to go concession when a support division they dont watch is running or doing that track prep time.
                  Big reason I won’t go back to Portsmouth. Jack around so much even when they’re running late.
                  2018 Race Counter: 24
                  Atomic (1), Attica (7), Mansfield (3), Wayne Co. (2), Fremont (3), Montpelier (2), Eldora (1), Waynesfield (1), Kokomo (1), Limaland (1), 35 Raceway (1), Gas City (1)

Comment

Y'all ever think yer just toooooooo spoiled here???

Comment

Originally posted by Jim11h View Post
                      Y'all ever think yer just toooooooo spoiled here???
                      Why would I driver further to a track when I know the ones around here will have better racing, more timely show, and healthy car counts. There are currently 5 tracks I’ve been to I plan on being at every year. Attica, Fremont,Wayne Co, Mansfield, and Montpelier. I’ve visited some other tracks now and have had decent experiences but not ones that I’ll go to every year since I have pretty limited timeframe to watch races. I’d like to get to Eldora once a year too for sure. I’ve only been to one track I really had a bad experience at and that was Portsmouth. Some of that has to do with keeping my grandfather out so late in the cold bc they thought starting an hour late then taking a 40 intermission at midnight. And I’ve heard that’s how they are on most nights.

I’ll note that every other track I’ve been to I do plan on being back at some point. Even millstream (it’s 30 minutes from my apt).
                      2018 Race Counter: 24
                      Atomic (1), Attica (7), Mansfield (3), Wayne Co. (2), Fremont (3), Montpelier (2), Eldora (1), Waynesfield (1), Kokomo (1), Limaland (1), 35 Raceway (1), Gas City (1)

Comment

Hope you are feeling great GT as you can after surgery.

I agree with you and Jim11h that I feel pretty spoiled around here with tracks you listed as going back to GT except have never been to Montpelier.

Been to several southern Ohio tracks and a few WV and what you stated about Portsmouth seems to hold true with most of them. It just seems the people expect to be there all night and want to be. I heard them complain that races were over too soon before. Even felt Atomic falls into this pattern sometimes. Hilltop had but seemed to try to speed up the shows end of this year cause they had been running so late.

I also take seniors to track and they cannot endure these long shows but length of your list they can get thru most of show or all of it.

Yes I dont know if Portsmouth/Lucas realizes how many people said they are not going back to DTWC there cause they could have had shown completed but so much time wasted. They really had people ticked off from many I ran into. People plan vacation around this and planned on Sunday as travel and many had to leave.

Low car count did not help them either and some pics I saw the stands did not look as packed.

Comment

Originally posted by RRacer70 View Post

Too many support divisions with sanction...Atomic

Considered going to a few Atomic shows then saw how many support divisions so went elsewhere.
                          This. OMG This. Watching 410 Sprint Cars rip the top at Atomic, when that track is right, is breathtaking and one of my favorite sights in racing. Buuuut, I don't know that I've ever seen an All Star feature end before 11pm at that track.
                          Last edited by TheAMain; 2 weeks ago.
                          TweetTweet - TheAMain

Comment

Exactly.
                            Having to sit thru 4 support classes for All star show.
                            Getting home at 3 or 4 am cause of 3 hour drive.

Comment

Working...
                            X