Fremont drops limited lates

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fremont drops limited lates

I hope to see all the drivers who competed stay in the sport in some capacity. Whether it’s racing Late Models at Attica/oakshade or selling that and running a different class. Move makes sense though in my opinion with the car count not ever really being there.

Weekly late model division not returning to Fremont Speedway in 2019

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Tuesday, Nov. 13, 2018

FREMONT, Ohio - After several seasons of working to grow late model racing and provide a more economical form of racing to entice more drivers, Fremont Speedway officials have decided not to bring the division back for weekly racing in 2019.

When "The Track That Action Built" opens in April 2019 the three main classes of racing will be the Fort Ball Pizza Palace 410 Sprints; Fremont Federal Credit Union 305 Sprints and the Burmeister Trophy Dirt Trucks.

"Rich (Farmer, former track promoter) worked hard to try and get more drivers involved in the sport. He put together a late model package that had a lower cost engine and when the teams wanted change he accommodated them. It's disappointing that after three years the late model division still only drew 10 or 11 cars each week. The advertised purse was paid despite the low car count. We did everything we could to encourage new race teams. It's unfortunate but Fremont Speedway's three divisions in 2019 have shown great participation. We do want to thank the teams that did support us and sponsors like McCullough Industries that tried to make the late model class work," said Fremont Speedway Board Member Ryan Schiets.

Schiets said beside the weekly sprint and truck divisions, Fremont Speedway will mark it's 69th season with with other classes and series making appearances.

For more information go to www.fremontohspeedway.com or on Facebook at www.facebook.com/FremontSpeedway or on Twitter https://twitter.com/FremontSpeedway.
    2019 Race Counter: 0

No surprise. The class was a rich farmer thing and wasn't panning out. Class could of been better if it was rush legal crate class from the start and brought in the rush tour for a big event to showcase the class might have got more interest. Ive seen really good rush crate races over the years and fremonts crate division don't compare. Seemed more like a fancy street stock division.

Comment

Originally posted by mudinmybeer View Post
      No surprise. The class was a rich farmer thing and wasn't panning out. Class could of been better if it was rush legal crate class from the start and brought in the rush tour for a big event to showcase the class might have got more interest. Ive seen really good rush crate races over the years and fremonts crate division don't compare. Seemed more like a fancy street stock division.
      I don't think a big showcase event for the crates would have helped. Nothing was going to save them. The Fremont fans don't like latemodels. Fremont is a sprint car track. Sometimes a promotor tries something that doesn't work. I wonder what other changes are planned for the upcomming season.

Comment

Originally posted by GTigers55 View Post
        I hope to see all the drivers who competed stay in the sport in some capacity. Whether it’s racing Late Models at Attica/oakshade or selling that and running a different class. Move makes sense though in my opinion with the car count not ever really being there.
        To me, this class was not much difference than the trucks and just split those type of divisions up more. Hopefully as you stated those guys either go to late model divisions at Attica and Oakshade/Wayne County or move to similar trucks at Fremont.

Originally posted by mudinmybeer View Post
        No surprise. The class was a rich farmer thing and wasn't panning out. Class could of been better if it was rush legal crate class from the start and brought in the rush tour for a big event to showcase the class might have got more interest. Ive seen really good rush crate races over the years and Fremont crate division don't compare. Seemed more like a fancy street stock division.
        Agree! Think bringing in a series like you mentioned might have helped, but not sure it would have created any more interest or gotten more teams/drivers/owners involved. Hard to put together a division when not many other tracks are running it locally and being successful with it. Just as the trucks have struggled for many years to have a full field at times which seemingly have done better recently.

Originally posted by racemak View Post

I don't think a big showcase event for the crates would have helped. Nothing was going to save them. The Fremont fans don't like late models. Fremont is a sprint car track. Sometimes a promoter tries something that doesn't work. I wonder what other changes are planned for the upcoming season.
        I wouldn't say they don't like late models because most know if you want to watch late models to go to Wayne County or Oakshade, but I believe those fans knew what was going on and didn't like seeing 6-8 limited lates/602 and pass them off as late models and trying to sell it off as another division when most believed they was street stock, dirt trucks with a late model type body. Think Fremont would be better served sticking to their 3 main staple divisions of 410, 305, and trucks.
        2019 Race Counter: 7
        All-Stars: 5
        World of Outlaws: 2
        Tracks: Bubba (3), Volusia (4).
        Rain: 1

Comment

Surprised know one caught who the new promotor is. Being late model fan, the 602 is what got me to come back to Fremont. With new steel block rules and tweak on tire rule I think division would have fielded near full division weekly. Just look at what Attica used to get and they only payed $300 to win. 2 limited already field trucks so your wish there ain't gonna happen. Further more, late model used to be a staple at Fremont years ago. Rush is a joke, their shocks, their fuel, etc... . .monopoly there and not cheaper for anyone

Comment

The 602’s never took off and the track gave them plenty of time do so. 3 divisions is good enough entertainment, and will allow for a slightly earlier finish to the night. If the new track management will start performing real teching instead of pretend teching or no teching, perhaps the 305 and truck counts will return to their previous levels of the late 1990’s to early 2000’s. That will make for more Heat Races. It’s too early to pass judgement on the new guy, but I do know that he doesn’t respond to e mails or texts when the subject is racing. I hope the communication gap improves.

Comment

Can't speak directly for 305's but what's there really to tech on trucks? The 99 truck was pulled outta weeds when raced to win this season. 2 barrel about all there really is to tech lol

Comment

So who is the new promoter? The fair board person mentioned?

Comment

Originally posted by RRacer70 View Post
                  So who is the new promoter? The fair board person mentioned?
                  That's how I interpreted the press release.
                  2019 Racin' Chasin' Counter: (5) - Bubba (3), Volusia (2), - Rainouts (1)

2018 Racin' Chasin' Counter:
                  50 Races @ 31 Tracks; (12-Rain Outs)
                  2017 Racin' Chasin' Counter: 57 Races @ 30 Tracks; (7-Rain Outs)
                  2016 Racin' Chasin' Counter: 59 Races @ 28 Tracks; (15-Rain Outs)
                  2015 Racin' Chasin' Counter: 56 Races @ 25 Tracks; (12-Rain Outs)

Comment

That was my take but you can never be 100% so thought I would ask.
                    Is he dirt track racing involved much.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim11h View Post
                      Surprised know one caught who the new promotor is
                      I caught it but the name doesn’t mean anything to me. With potentially purchasing a home east/southeast of BG i’ll Be a bit closer to the tracks this year.
                      2019 Race Counter: 0

Comment

Word was a division of the fair, so I'd say rumor true and not just one person in charge

Comment

Schiets Motors is a Honda motorcycle dealer that has been in Fremont for many years. Ryan Schiets may a member of the family that operates that business, and have a motorcycle racing background. Schiets Motors has been a sponsor of Fremont Speedway. I continue to maintain that the CURRENT Fremont Speedway fans don't like latemodels. The ALMS race in 2017 was not well attended and ALMS did not return to Fremont in 2018. The Ethanol Series race on May 12 was rained out so we will never know for sure how well supported it would have been. Based on the disappointing crowd on May 11 at ARP, I think the Ethanol race at Fremont would not have been successful.

Comment

Originally posted by racemak View Post
                            I continue to maintain that the CURRENT Fremont Speedway fans don't like latemodels. The ALMS race in 2017 was not well attended and ALMS did not return to Fremont in 2018. The Ethanol Series race on May 12 was rained out so we will never know for sure how well supported it would have been. Based on the disappointing crowd on May 11 at ARP, I think the Ethanol race at Fremont would not have been successful.
                            Hard to know what Fremont fans want since they only see 1 late model race a year it makes it tough to compete against tracks that have them all the time such as Oakshade who had nearly 50 late models at their event the same day and that doesn't even include Wayne County who I believe had a good showing, or southern tracks that run late models on a regular basis. As for the ALMS show in 2017 it is hard to predict anything with that group.

You seem to forget that the ARP race on May 11th was the same date as the WoO/USAC #LetsRaceTwo show at Eldora and this is one reason why Attica didn't run 410's either that night because they knew fans would be going to Eldora. You act like fans go to Attica no matter what, but that simply isn't the case besides a minority of fans like you who would rather sit at home than attend a bigger event at Attica or elsewhere or would attend a local show than going to a bigger event in the area.

2019 Race Counter: 7
                            All-Stars: 5
                            World of Outlaws: 2
                            Tracks: Bubba (3), Volusia (4).
                            Rain: 1

Comment

Oakshade rained out on May 12. I was at the Waffle House in Toledo when they cancelled, I think. I was aware that Attica and Fremont scheduled the Ethanol Series against Eldora that weekend. I'm sure Attica officials were hoping for a better crowd. I make a point of supporting ARP , Fremont, and Oakshade events that are scheduled against Eldora.

Comment

Working...
                              X