Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2015 Silly Season News Season Thread (Teams/Drivers/Tracks)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You take number 2 and you and the owner work at making the car faster you might be surprised at the outcome.

Comment

• Take #1 and make it safe

Comment

• I don't see a problem at all, 1st thank them for an opportunity and get some money together and make a fast car safe or make a safe car fast! either is not cheap! I can think of 50 people that would like to have that problem!

Comment

• Agree with Ryan ... guess it all depends on what you think "safe" is or isn't. I mean in most cases the driver is responsible for his own seat so that is #1 priority in the safe department. Not really sure what people would say is "unsafe" nowadays.

It is up to the driver when he straps himself into the car to make sure the car he is getting into is good to go. He can always say this needs to be done for him to get into the car. He can improve things himself. It isn't the owner getting into the car, but the driver so it is up to them to make sure they owner is putting the necessary things in the car. Nowadays if your running a certain series your car has to be up to certain safety codes and have some of the safety equipment, but I guess the question is more about at the local level where safety doesn't seem to be enforced as much because of the cost for the local racers making it to the track each week.

I mean Terry McCarl told a story this year that they use to have the thinnest and cheapest seat that was allowed (plastic seat) because of weight factor back in the day. I remember hearing stories from Ferkel about all the times they would drill out holes in the car, steering wheel, seat, etc... to get the weight down. Now people don't do that at all or say shouldn't because of weight rules and safety has gotten a lot better in a sprint car and more people are taken it more seriously.

Really think the next (mandatory) safety aspect needs to be some type of guard on the left side of the driver in the car. A lot of teams are using them now and think Joey Saldana was one of the first to use them so parts and things wouldn't get into the car as easily on the drivers left arm side. The driver needs to be able to get in and out of the car, but also protected as well. Think that is what happened to Jac when he got injured.

Comment

• Its time to introduce a quotation from Max Mosely. "When a driver becomes truely interested in his safety, his fastest days are behind him." He was talking about Formula 1 when he said this 30 years ago. Is it true today? I have tremendous respect for Jac because after all the years and injuries he drives a sprintcar WFO. When he started racing, drivers were considered daredevils and racing was promoted via that fact. That's not true today.

Comment

Working...
            X