No announcement yet.

Fremont schedule

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good observations and I agree that SOME races are better than NO races, but I still believe the new management has to do whatever is required to restore All Star events, which are profitable despite the increased purse and sanction. I am on vacation in Daytona at present and in today’s local newspaper, there is a front page article ( front page of the home section, not the sports section ) that is 3 full pages long and deals with the problems that both NASCAR and International Speedway Corp ( the company which owns a dozen NASCAR tracks ) have been facing during the most recent 10 years. TV audience is half that of 10 years ago, in-person attendance has been in steady decline, and large corporate sponsorship are drying up, both for teams and the series. Daytona cut their seating capacity from 168,000 to 101,000 two years ago, yet every day on TV down here they are running ads relentlessly pushing ticket sales for the 500. So, even the higher echelons of the sport are struggling. Most won’t agree with me , but I still don’t like shutting down for Mansfield. If Mansfield should decide to double their schedule going forward, will Fremont increase their off nights even more ? I guess I’ll have to resign myself to reduced racing schedules as the new normal, in order to avoid frustration. That, and spend my money for ticket sales and sponsorships on my other hobbies during all of the down nights.

Comment

I think Mansfield will keep the limited schedule. That is what makes their shows well attended.

Comment

Originally posted by Muddy99 View Post
        Good observations and I agree that SOME races are better than NO races, but I still believe the new management has to do whatever is required to restore All Star events, which are profitable despite the increased purse and sanction. I am on vacation in Daytona at present and in today’s local newspaper, there is a front page article ( front page of the home section, not the sports section ) that is 3 full pages long and deals with the problems that both NASCAR and International Speedway Corp ( the company which owns a dozen NASCAR tracks ) have been facing during the most recent 10 years. TV audience is half that of 10 years ago, in-person attendance has been in steady decline, and large corporate sponsorship are drying up, both for teams and the series. Daytona cut their seating capacity from 168,000 to 101,000 two years ago, yet every day on TV down here they are running ads relentlessly pushing ticket sales for the 500. So, even the higher echelons of the sport are struggling. Most won’t agree with me , but I still don’t like shutting down for Mansfield. If Mansfield should decide to double their schedule going forward, will Fremont increase their off nights even more ? I guess I’ll have to resign myself to reduced racing schedules as the new normal, in order to avoid frustration. That, and spend my money for ticket sales and sponsorships on my other hobbies during all of the down nights.
        I agree 100% with the new management needing to get the All Stars back. However, I don’t see that happening in the foreseeable future. I hope I’m wrong because I am not sure Fremont Speedway can survive without them.

Comment

Reducing the schedule may have to do with just reducing all of the costs associated with running a track throughout the year. I have heard from a number of podcasts & YouTube interviews that regular weekly shows don't make money. From the outside looking in, weekly local shows seem to be used as a "lost leader" concept that restaurants & department stores use. Meaning selling something at a loss to attract customers

Reason I say that is because racetracks seem to have multiple customers. Not only do they have to attract fans, but they also have to attract competitors/teams, and sponsors. The weekly concept seems to be one to have enticed local racers to race weekly, possibly attract local sponsors, in order to attract more customers at bigger shows. If you have 20-25 410s each week and decent attendance then that will attract more customers (fans/competitors) at bigger shows such as All Star & Outlaw shows. That is where you make your money.

But if you use too much or schedule too much of a lost leader, that cuts into your profit. Some competitors might also like the reduced schedule as well. Less wear & year on equipment but it could also detract your other customers which would be the fans. I would say most tracks in the state would need All Star shows to attract outside non-local fans. No track is surrounded with enough local population to thrive long term. They need too attract non locals to spend money, and no one is going to travel 1.5 - 2 hours for weekly shows. At least not enough for the track to make a good profit

Comment

Somewhat disappointed in the short schedule. I will support Fremont this year, but I think a schedule with more shows makes up for the rain outs that will certainly get at least 6 of those shows. Lima has 13 races this year and rain will get half of theirs. A shorter schedule didn't help WRP either. I also agree with others on here, that the All Stars need to come back to Fremont. The politics have to stop and we all need to get back to the way it was, or all these tracks will end up with just a couple shows per month. These race teams need race dates to make money, so your short schedules are not helping them. JMHO
            2018 Race Counter - Total- 33 + (Rainouts-18) Atomic-2, Attica-7, Eldora-11, Fremont-3, Kokomo-1, Limaland-2, Mansfield- 2, Waynesfield-4, Wayne County-1

Comment

What no Speed week show.Not one all star show?? Oh that’s right Farmer screwed that up...Can’t wait to see them 602 crate guys...Oh wait Farmer screwed them over too!, Oh well at least there is some good paying shows ...Good luck drivers and Fremont speedway this year!!

Comment

Here's this year's schedule compared to a couple of past years. I picked 2002 and 2013 because their calendar dates align exactly with 2019 and makes for easy comparison. It's also convenient that these three years represent the past three regimes to run the speedway. I'll let you draw your own conclusions, I just thought it was interesting to see the different scheduling philosophies.

I do like the variety in the schedule during the Ford and Farmer (pre All Stars divorce) years, and as a fan I really respect the aggressiveness of Ford's scheduling. Despite a shorter schedule, he packed in a lot of shows. There are few times where he ran a sanctioned midweek show and turned around and ran a regular show two days later. Once this new committee gets their feet under them I'm sure we'll see an improvement in the schedule.

Comment

Originally posted by Racechasser View Post
                  Somewhat disappointed in the short schedule. I will support Fremont this year, but I think a schedule with more shows makes up for the rain outs that will certainly get at least 6 of those shows. Lima has 13 races this year and rain will get half of theirs. A shorter schedule didn't help WRP either. I also agree with others on here, that the All Stars need to come back to Fremont. The politics have to stop and we all need to get back to the way it was, or all these tracks will end up with just a couple shows per month. These race teams need race dates to make money, so your short schedules are not helping them. JMHO
                  Think drivers/teams/fans are more likely to look around at other tracks, other events, and pick and choose their racing -- this goes for all tracks/events not just Fremont. I don't believe you have as many diehards for one particular track as you had in the past because of the options out there now along with many different type of racing in the area you can find something you like and just as easy go there.

It is weird for me that tracks in PA who has similar conditions as in OH tracks such as weather and the love of high school football, but they seem to be able to make it work and race from March to October. Maybe most of our OH fans/drivers/teams are fine with the schedule, but it seems like they continue to get shorter and shorter and usually no make-ups are put into place if weather becomes a issue like we saw last year.

Last point in PA it seems all their tracks are putting a lot of extra money into their facilities of upgrading fencing, adding dirt, seating, lighting, etc... Don't really see that to much in OH tracks and that could be part of the reason where PA tracks have a lot more events to possibly make a little bigger profit to go back into the tracks? I already know some arguments already saying with more events they could just as easily lose money as well.

Comment

Farmer is gone Thankfully. But still no reason for me to go to Fremont this is a very boring schedule.

Comment

Originally posted by DERF View Post
                      Farmer is gone Thankfully. But still no reason for me to go to Fremont this is a very boring schedule.
                      Evidently you don't like sprint car racing because that's what Fremont has. How many weekly Fremont shows would you attend they had a WoO race?

Comment

Originally posted by racemak View Post

Evidently you don't like sprint car racing because that's what Fremont has. How many weekly Fremont shows would you attend they had a WoO race?
                        Not everybody goes to a track simply because of one local weekly division.

I drive (from Sylvania) past Fremont a lot of times to go to Attica because if I have to choose between the two tracks I like what Attica offers because of the entire package of sprints, late models, and 305's.

As for Fremont in the past,I didn't care how Farmer acted towards the All-Stars along other events. I didn't like the normal 4 weekly divisions format especially when I don't really care about the limited lates/602 crates or whatever name they was using, don't care for the dirt trucks because basically they are just another street stock type class, etc... So I felt why support a track that I only like half of the product? Do you go out to eat and order a steak and only eat half of it and throw the other half away?

Most people don't have the time or entertainment dollars to go to 2-3 tracks a week especially if they have family, job, hobbies, other sports they follow, or simply pick and choose what events to spend your money on.

Comment

There have been a lot of intelligent comments made regarding this particular subject ( Fremont Schedule ). Hopefully, the Fair Board reads PitGate, to get an ides of people’s attitudes and feelings. Anyone know when there will a Press Release about the schedule ? As of 2-11-19, there was nothing on the website or their twitter.

Comment

Oh the races I'd rather attend than weekly shows at Fremont hahaha. Let's see... I attend about 15-20 races every year. This year my "must see" races include:
                            - Attica opener
                            - Roughly 5 or 6 ASCoC shows at Attica, Wayne Co, and Mansfield (including their speedweek races)
                            - WoO @ Lawerenceburg
                            - 3 Nights of SCWC
                            - Brad Doty Classic
                            - 3 Nights of Kings Royal
                            - 2 Nights of World Finals

Fremont - 1hr 11min drive for me
                            Attica - 1 hr 6 min
                            Mansfield - 1hr 10 min
                            Wayne Co - 1 hr 6 mins

With that being said the only race I'd care to drive over 2hrs round trip to watch is the Jim Ford Classic. With the increased purse that race should draw some outsiders. On their preliminary schedule they only had one night with 410 & BOSS, that's something I'd consider going to see. While there is nothing wrong with local racing and Ohio having some great local 305 & 410 talent... I'd rather not sit directly in the sun and watch locals at Fremont. Then once temps finally start to cool off, the sun is still directly in your eyes at Fremont until the final moment it sets. Also... I couldn't give any less f***s to watch dirt trucks and compacts. I try not to be biased but there isn't much I like about Fremont. The only thing Fremont has over Attica or Mansfield is how close you are to the action. If I want to sit right on the track I'll gladly drive over to Wayne Co for a ASCoC race and see a higher paying show, better prepped surface, & better competition.

Comment

There are plenty of people out there that like & love sprint car racing and a lot of them do not go to Fremont. If you enjoy Fremont and that is the only track you choose to attend then that is fine and you do not have to go to another track. However, many other fans choose to see other tracks/series/events and they are able to do that. The theory that each of us have to choose 1 track to support and if we do not then we do not support racing or the track is ludicrous. Again weekly/local racing is not the end all be all for every fan or every track and many of us attend 10, 20, 30 races a year at different tracks. The past 3 seasons I have attended all sprint car shows at the following tracks just in Ohio, not including tracks in other states:

Eldora: 20 Driving distance 2hrs
                              Attica: 15 Driving distance 2hrs
                              Atomic: 12 Driving distance 1hr
                              Wayne County: 5 Driving distance 1hr 40min
                              Waynesfield: 3 Driving distance 1hr 30min
                              Lima: 1 (wish it was more but Rain) 1hr 45min
                              Fremont: 1 (World of Outlaw show in 2016) 2hrs 15min

How many weekly Fremont shows would I attend if they had a WoO race. Probably none. But I would attend the WoO race, multiple in fact if they had them. Same thing goes with the All Stars. A lot of sprint car fans do not live near a dirt track, and a majority of them do not think "hey I wonder what weekly race is going on this weekend that I can attend." They more or less say, "What do the tracks schedule look like this weekend?" And then they decide which track has the best lineup and if it is worth driving X amount of miles to go there. A lot of people will save there money to go to an All Star show or Outlaw show rather than going to a weekly show.

Comment

However, if I was 1 hr from Fremont and an 1 hr from Wayne County I'd choose Wayne Co. because it has Sprints & Late Models. I personally like Fremont trucks over the combo of stocks/compacts at Wayne County. I like the track configuration and racing at Wayne County a bit better, but the biggest reason I like Wayne County over Fremont is that I get to see different drivers than I do at Attica. Most of the Fremont regulars also run Attica, so if I was going to Attica that weekend also It's a little bit of rinse wash repeat.

That being said, my Saturday thought process is this. These are my normal options.

Fremont (24m), Oakshade (1hr), Waynesfield (1hr20m), Eldora (2hr), Wayne Co (2hr8m), Montpelier (2hr21m).

All local Shows - Fremont wins out.
                                ASCoC/WoO Special - Probably will go to All Star/WoO
                                FAST/OVSCA/USAC or Late Model/Modified etc special - will mostly depend on weather and expected drivers/car count.
                                2019 Race Counter: 0

Comment

Working...
                                X