Is the Future going to be Special Events over Weekly Racing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is the Future going to be Special Events over Weekly Racing

Just been hearing a lot of debates on this.

Are tracks going the route of just being Special Event tracks?

Seems more tracks booking series than having regular shows.

Attica and Fremont made up their own special event series.

Atomic and WCS running a lot of series.

Mansfield is only special events.

Can a track survive as just a weekly show with no series? Some seem to think this means they are running 8 classes to fill the place but making too late of a night.
    Last edited by RRacer70; April 3rd, 2019, 11:39 AM.

It sure seems that way. Add Waynesfield to the list. But just remember the old saying,... "If everyone is famous, no one is famous."

Comment

We hear this same debate every year for along time.

Why some tracks are special events only is because they cant afford or dont want to spend the money for weekly racing or the fact hard to compete with other tracks with the same cars/fans. Also most tracks want either 410's or late models as their main division, but there isnt enough cars, drivers, and teams for every track on a Friday or Saturday night so some try for specials to attract those teams and fans.
      2019 Race Counter: 20
      Tracks: Attica (3), Bubba (3), Eldora (5), Fremont (1), Mansfield (1), Sharon (1), Volusia (4), Waynesfield (1), Wayne County (1).
      DirtVision: 23.
      Speedshift: 20.
      Rain: Way to many to even count already!!

Comment

Just an opinion : Attendance overall ( not necessarily every track in every state ) has been declining. I think with each passing decade there will be fewer tracks, and many of those which survive will be largely special events. The sport will adjust to meet the demand. Presently, there are still some prominent tracks around the country, and prominent events around the country, but over the long haul, that is my prediction. I’d be very happy if I’m wrong.

Comment

Lately with all the tracks closing, reopening, closing, new ones starting up had folks discussing this. So it was an interesting topic.

Comment

I have said before that the "weekly" shows seem to compare to what is called a "lost leader" in the restaurant & retail industry. They are something that you may end up taking a loss or small profit but it attracts customers. In the short track world, race teams are customers as well in a sense. Tracks have to attract talent/teams & have a good local following. In our area look at special events such as All Star, WoO, Brad Doty Classic, etc. Car counts are great not because all those teams race for those sanctioning bodies, but because you have locals, regional travelers that are made possible because of weekly shows. Take those away then you have what's going on in asphalt late models with only 20-30 cars per event. To us those are local weekly numbers.

Ultimately the promoters have a role in this. Programs that are efficiently ran like Attica WCS etc will always attract fans, and the track work/rules/purses will attract talent. Tracks that run inefficient program, have suspect track conditions and lower purses will start slowing. Some of the tracks that have closed do not surprise me. You go to their website, Twitter, or look them up on youtube it is easy to know why certain tracks fail. Promoting a track is hard but can be made impossible when you shoot yourself by not doing the simple things correct.

Comment

Originally posted by Sprint14 View Post
              Ultimately the promoters have a role in this. Programs that are efficiently ran like Attica WCS etc will always attract fans, and the track work/rules/purses will attract talent. Tracks that run inefficient program, have suspect track conditions and lower purses will start slowing. Some of the tracks that have closed do not surprise me. You go to their website, Twitter, or look them up on youtube it is easy to know why certain tracks fail. Promoting a track is hard but can be made impossible when you shoot yourself by not doing the simple things correct.
              I can’t help but laugh when I see a promoter that says social media killed their track. Wrong. Your lack of promotion and poor leadership killed it.

Comment

A trend that I’m intrigued by is drivers really pushing the merchandise sales. Guys like Rico, Brady Bacon, and Swindell Speedlab have such a wide variety of merch that they’re more than likely making much more on merch sales than they do racing.

Comment

Originally posted by hoopscoach View Post

I can’t help but laugh when I see a promoter that says social media killed their track. Wrong. Your lack of promotion and poor leadership killed it.
                  Man is that true! I've seen promoters on social media arguing along with those trolls that like bashing the sport. In my area there are two greats tracks that have fallen to poor leadership in recent years. This year I will be back up north almost weekly to Attica and Fremont where they know how to run a program and promote!!!
                  2019 Race Counter - Total 22 + (rainouts- 13) Atomic-1, Attica-4, Eldora-8, Fremont-3, Wayne County- 2, Waynesfield-3, Winchester-1,

2018 Race Counter - Total- 33 + (Rainouts-18) Atomic-2, Attica-7, Eldora-11, Fremont-3, Kokomo-1, Limaland-2, Mansfield- 2, Waynesfield-4, Wayne County-1

Comment

Working...
                  X