• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Atomic Speedway to add wall

From the track:

•MAJOR ANNOUNCEMENT•

Atomic Speedway - Chillicothe, Ohio

Owner Brad McCown informed track officials this afternoon that the high banks of Atomic Speedway will be enclosed with a wall surrounding the track between May 26th - June 14th.

“It’s the right time to make this happen” said McCown. The construction will not effect any scheduled races or events at this time.

A rendering of how the wall will look and the flow of cars can be seen below. Please keep all comments in a positive manner as we move forward with the safety of our race teams in mind.

Hard to be positive to that nasty design

Comment

I hope they are putting fencing on the wall to keep sprint car cages off it.

Comment

Should make the track much safer. Seems like it may be difficult to exit but that'll work itself out.
        2019 Race Counter: 18
        Attica (7), Fremont (4), Wayne Co. (2), Lawrenceburg (1), Butler (1), Mansfield (1), Gas City (1), Waynesfield (1)

Comment

The enter and exit being the same is what I dont care for.

Comment

The insurance companies are making tracks do it. Wayne County has to do it too in the next year.

Comment

Interesting that no new wall in front of grandstands?

Comment

Originally posted by RRacer70 View Post
                This project is about fixing the safety hazard of the blunt wall ending in turn 3. I would assume the existing wall in 3/4 and the front straight just needs some reconditioning, or they would (hopefully) do something about it. The only glaring safety issue I can think of with that concrete is the opening for the stairs under the flagstand.

Comment

Are walls to encircle complete track with just exits?

Comment

Originally posted by staggerman View Post
                    I hope they are putting fencing on the wall to keep sprint car cages off it.
                    Have to believe or hope they would especially doing all that concrete wall. The only issue I have is are they going to put some type of "softer wall/tires/foam/etc... on the entrance/exit part that is sticking out or likely could be hit by a car if they flip, get tangled up, etc...

The enter and exit being the same is what I dont care for.
                    Agree never liked having just one entrance/exit onto the track and that looks like a pretty tight entrance/exit spot, but again hard to go off that drawing as well. Just another example of slowing things down or not keeping things moving along. I like when they are starting to push out the next heat when cars are still just getting off the track.

Originally posted by RYAN5R View Post
                    The insurance companies are making tracks do it. Wayne County has to do it too in the next year.
                    Can't blame them for doing it and that is one thing that will force some of these tracks to actually doing something about glaring issues because as we have seen at a lot of tracks they wait for something bad to happen before fixing or doing something about it. Again not my money so easy for me to complain about it especially when tracks/promoters are saying like most people "that won't happen here" or "it is good enough" ... type of attitude like everybody has for most things.

Glad to see Atomic see a issue, ask the drivers/teams/and even fans and then trying to fix it the best way they know how or believe it will improve the safety aspect of their track.

I haven't been there in quite awhile, but assume they are just planning on using what they have for now or think it is good enough.

Honestly anymore I wish all tracks had either concrete walls/guardrail and tall fencing to keep cars/debris on the track or have a run off/flat area in the turns before reaching some type of wall/fencing/guardrail. With insurance companies looking to make changes want to make sure the competitors, fans, track personnel, etc... are all safe and going home at night. Some of these tracks I watch on TV, in person, or see highlights of tracks just looks like the fans sit way, way to close to the fence and anymore I always keep saying "what if" a lot more than I ever did back in the 80's/90's, etc...
                    Tracks: Attica (3), Bubba (3), Eldora (4), Fremont (1), Mansfield (1), Sharon (1), Volusia (4), Wayne County (1).
                    DirtVision: 15.
                    Speedshift: 20.
                    Rain: Way to many to even count already!!

Comment

I was reading up some on this trying to see what info was out there. Many of the safety say the concrete is bad if you hit it and does more damage to driver.
                      So would they have some kind of safe barrier instead of driver hitting the concrete head on.

Comment

Still looks like a blunt force spot where the new entrance/exit would be. Add a gate similar to Eldora's on the back stretch flush with the wall, and keep the current exit with the existing gate or a newer flush gate there as well?
                        2019 Race Counter - Total 16 + (rainouts- 13) Atomic-1, Attica-4, Eldora-3, Fremont-3, Wayne County- 2, Waynesfield- 2, Winchester-1,

2018 Race Counter - Total- 33 + (Rainouts-18) Atomic-2, Attica-7, Eldora-11, Fremont-3, Kokomo-1, Limaland-2, Mansfield- 2, Waynesfield-4, Wayne County-1

Comment

I cant remember what track it was but they had these big things filled with water that you would hit instead of the wall opening.

Comment

I cant remember what track it was but they had these big things filled with water that you would hit instead of the wall opening.
                            I’m thinking Williams grove did that shortly after Hodnett passed. I may be mistaken.
                            Attica (7), Fremont (4), Wayne Co. (2), Lawrenceburg (1), Butler (1), Mansfield (1), Gas City (1), Waynesfield (1)

Comment

Eldora has several different type of these safety barrels, rubber softer walls at entrances. They have the barrels in turn 4 where the cars come into the pits and I believe they have the rubber tires/pad in turn 3 where they created the newer wall opening where they have a safety truck at in that turn 3 as well.
                              Tracks: Attica (3), Bubba (3), Eldora (4), Fremont (1), Mansfield (1), Sharon (1), Volusia (4), Wayne County (1).
                              DirtVision: 15.
                              Speedshift: 20.
                              Rain: Way to many to even count already!!

Comment

Working...
                              X