Tony Stewart fine/suspension?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tony Stewart fine/suspension?

I am neither a Tony Stewart fanboy, nor hater. In fact, same age as him, I have tremendous respect for all he has accomplished and does to give back to the sport.

Watching Speedshift Friday night and the car flips were going from bad to worse at Atomic. I applaud the All Stars decision to cancel their event during heats due to safety concerns and injury in the grandstand.

However, during the B main crash on Saturday at Wayne Co, I watched in shock as there was a camera zoom to watch Tony get out of his car (was not on fire) walk towards the cars under power, pause, and continue to get closer before giving someone a salute. Did the other driver deserve the attention? I am not sure, forgot who it was, and irrelevant. Impossible not to immediately recall Tony and New York/Ward situation. Yes, I know Tony owns the All Stars, but he is not above the sport and the tracks who hire his series.

After the Ward situation all short track sanctions and tracks across the country either heavily enforced or implemented rules for drivers to stay in vehicles on the track, except for immediate danger due to fire. Stewart put his own employees in a horrible situation regarding them mentioning and/or taking action against their boss.

I have been an official for years in an asphalt open wheel traveling series. First night racing after the Stewart/Ward incident we warned all drivers about the rules and staying in vehicle on track for safety concerns. There was a small wreck and a driver got out of his mildly wrecked car to see if he could repair car to continue. He took no actions towards another competitor. We knew he had to be DQ at minimum. Problem was the driver was the son of the series owner, our boss. We kind of looked at each other with trepidation when a voice came across our radios saying he got out, DQ his son, which was done. We did not (at least for that incident) lose any credibility with other drivers and owners in the series.

We watched Jac Haudenschild get parked for the Attica Speedweek main for not having his radios on or not connected. This is a lot more serious violation and public action/statement needs made. The statement can be as simple as " for violation of rule book". The integrity of the series is at stake. Good thing MavTV was not at this race! I'm hoping Tony reflects and finds better way to deal with the anger issue when in heat of the moment.

2019 All Star rules (page 27)
    I) 1. r) Any Competitor who exits their car onto any area where other cars are still moving will be subject to disqualification and/ or fine and/ or suspension and/or loss of points and/ or any other action deemed appropriate by All Star Officials. Maximum= $500

Tony Stewart is a martinet who rules his series as he pleases. Should the owner of a racing series also be a competitor? Probably not.

Comment

Mad Anthony Wayne doesn’t have a great deal of personal accountability. It’s a shame someone didn’t beat his ass years ago to show him he isn’t as untouchable as he thinks he is.

Comment

A lot of words for all that?

I have seen plenty of drivers exit their cars after a wreck.

Should we start fining guys for rough driving such as the deal with Cap Henry and Brock Zearfoss?

Sprint car racing doesn't need to become Nascar with all their rules and fines, suspensions, warning, etc...
        2019 Race Counter: 20
        Tracks: Attica (3), Bubba (3), Eldora (5), Fremont (1), Mansfield (1), Sharon (1), Volusia (4), Waynesfield (1), Wayne County (1).
        DirtVision: 23.
        Speedshift: 20.
        Rain: Way to many to even count already!!

Comment

The reason the rule is in effect is because of the Stewart/Ward situation. So just because it was Tony the rules shouldn't apply? For a guy that is all worried about safety why does this particular situation not bother you 42?

Comment

Originally posted by DirtRacer42 View Post
            A lot of words for all that?.
            Pot meet kettle.

Comment

Originally posted by JK47 View Post
              The reason the rule is in effect is because of the Stewart/Ward situation. So just because it was Tony the rules shouldn't apply? For a guy that is all worried about safety why does this particular situation not bother you 42?
              Didn't say it didn't bother me, but to go on a 7 paragraph rant about being fined or suspended I don't believe he should be fined or suspended.

Thanks for caring about safety!
              Tracks: Attica (3), Bubba (3), Eldora (5), Fremont (1), Mansfield (1), Sharon (1), Volusia (4), Waynesfield (1), Wayne County (1).

Comment

Similar situation at Mansfield where Dylan Kingan got out of the car after him in Hobaugh wrecked in the C main. Kingan was DQ’d for the night. I think if anything happens that’s what it should be. Don’t hurt the pocketbook, don’t suspend them, just dq them for the night and loss of points (I.e no show points).
                2019 Race Counter: 22
                Attica (8), Fremont (4), Wayne Co. (2), Waynesfield (2), Lawrenceburg (1), Butler (2), Mansfield (1), Gas City (1), Eldora (1)

Comment

Originally posted by GTigers55 View Post
                  Similar situation at Mansfield where Dylan Kingan got out of the car after him in Hobaugh wrecked in the C main. Kingan was DQ’d for the night. I think if anything happens that’s what it should be. Don’t hurt the pocketbook, don’t suspend them, just dq them for the night and loss of points (I.e no show points).
                  Well said.

Comment

Nothing will come of it. He’s probably invoked “ Executive Privilege “. He’s done a lot of that , but most of it has been behind the scenes things that aren’t apparent to the public. It’s Wednesday now and nothing has been announced, so the matter is closed. Out of sight, out of mind.

Comment

Originally posted by DirtRacer42 View Post
                      A lot of words for all that?

I have seen plenty of drivers exit their cars after a wreck.

Should we start fining guys for rough driving such as the deal with Cap Henry and Brock Zearfoss?

Sprint car racing doesn't need to become Nascar with all their rules and fines, suspensions, warning, etc...
                      Thanks for proving my point. I did not want to post a remark which appeared me having a beer in one hand and one finger typing with the other like a short tweet. I waited a day and tried to give reasons why this may be important.

Additionally, you are correct, it is nice when we see drivers walk away from crashes. THAT IS THE POINT - safety.

No rule is any good without a penalty and enforcement. To DQ someone from remainder of the night is no penalty when it occurred in the B main.

Comment

Provisional would be affected if eligible, just pointing out is all, but your correct that could be piss poorly written rule

Comment

Originally posted by GTigers55 View Post
                          Dunno how you get Dq'd when the frame is junk. you are hilarious sometimes.
                          2018 Race Count 14.5 : Mansfield (2) , Lawrenceburg (1) , Attica (8) , Wayne County (2) , Waynesfield (1) , Skyline (.5)

Comment

Come on MAN even the Dems says NOBODY IS ABOVE THE LAW !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Jaybo777 View Post

Dunno how you get Dq'd when the frame is junk. you are hilarious sometimes.
                              That’s what was announced to the fans when I was at Mansfield 🤷🏻*♂️.
                              2019 Race Counter: 22
                              Attica (8), Fremont (4), Wayne Co. (2), Waynesfield (2), Lawrenceburg (1), Butler (2), Mansfield (1), Gas City (1), Eldora (1)

Comment

Working...
                              X