Random thoughts

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Random thoughts

1) Aaron Reutzel's climb up the 410 ladder is amazing to me. I didn't know who he was until he showed up at the winter races in Arizona and pretty much dominated. Since he's gone 410 racing full time he's been a contender. He's can qualify well, he's got a good team, he's aggressive and passes cars, and he wins races. His aggressiveness does seem to get him in trouble sometimes but that's ok, he's fun to watch. That team can go anywhere and run up front. Since coming to the All Stars I've been able to watch him more, and he's turned me into a fan.

2) I find Chad Kemenah's foray into the Silver Crown series interesting. When he announced his schedule I was immediately intrigued. That type of racing seems to really suit his style. Chad has always been fast, smooth and consistent. That's exactly what you need during those long races on big tracks. If he sticks with it I think he'll be up front sometime next year.

3) i think i need to get to a race at Port Royal. Having Speed Shift and being able to watch several of their races streamed, that place looks cool. It such a big, wide, fast half mile that just seems to lead to huge sliders and competitive racing. The track prep has been pretty spot on every time I've watched a race there. I might have to take some vacation and check it out.

4) I've seen some fairly negative comments about Fremont Speedway and I don't get it. I'm sure everyone going to jump all over me for this, but I don't care. I love that place. I don't live there anymore and don't get to get to the track as much as i used to, but it's where I learned to love racing. When Jim Ford had the track everyone complained about the dusty, dry slick conditions. When Farmer had it the track was to fast and rutty. You can't win. When I was going their every week, which was 10 years ago, they would get 410 car counts of high teens, low twenty's at the end of the season. Now with 4 tracks running Saturday the car count has dropped more. Well, it makes sense with more tracks running and pulling cars. It just seems like Fremont has turned into the local racing punching bag, when it's been the weekly sprint car staple for as long as i can remember.

5) Congrats to DJ Foos and the 16 team on their title. DJ is a hell of a wheelman and the 16 has been around forever. Hope the go for it again next year.

Enjoy.

1) Reutzel impressed me a lot last year after jumping up from the 360's the previous years and looked very good with the All-Stars. Got to believe that team could turn into a WoO team if they want next season, but then again they might be comfortable doing what they are now doing quite a bit of traveling, not having to deal with guys like Schatz and Sweet on a nightly basis, stay closer to their new home-base/shop and still be able to participate in most of the bigger events, bigger payouts, etc...

2) Trying to figure out Kemenah this year and his 410 team and what his future holds. As for the Silver Crown cars I am actually shocked they are still running them when they don't have a lot of cars when they run pavement, don't have a lot of races, and has to be pretty expensive to have cars that you need to switch over from asphalt to dirt and then the purse isn't that big either. They only have 12 races on their schedule.

3) Port Royal track crew nails it almost every single week and wish we seen something like that around here in Ohio. I guess the closest thing right now is Sharon with being consistent with the track prep. That track along with others in PA have really improved their amenities as well for the race fans, for the racers, etc... whether it is on the track, safety issues, fans seating, lighting, etc...

Not surprising that Danny Dietrich was complaining on twitter about the track being to wet all night. Seems like whenever he doesn't do well it is always somebody else's fault or likes to blame somebody for his not running well.

4) Kind if surprised Fremont didn't try and jump and make this weekend a 2-day race weekend after Helms cancelled their race especially with not many options this weekend for sprint car teams.

5) Very good year for DJ.
    Last edited by DirtRacer42; 1 week ago.
    2019 Race Counter: 23
    Tracks: Attica (5), Bubba (3), Eldora (5), Fremont (1), Mansfield (1), Sharon (1), Volusia (4), Waynesfield (1), Wayne County (2).
    DirtVision: 24.
    Speedshift: 29.
    Rain: Way to many to even count already!!

Comment

1. Reutzel looks extremely well funded moreso than some of the regulars. His equipment looks like it would win him races. Not a fan of his after seeing some of his moves on the track. Hopefully that improves.

2. Ohio tracks need to step up to the plate and improve fences and seating, some is starting to look old and used up. Easier access bleachers with steps and handrails and trash cans. Seen boards missing, broken and not being replaced or repaired. Been several fence incidents this year and stronger fencing reinforced with cables and taller would be a huge improvement.

3. Track prep and dirt and clay.

4. Basically sprint car counts have been decent with all the tracks running them this year, all the the various sanctions appearing at the same nights different days.

5. Lots of good updates, race outlooks and thoughts are on this msg board even when we dont always agree.

Comment

80 grand for a 50/50 and sadly I didn't win.

Comment

1. I was at Port Royal last night, Aaron Reutzel is lethal fast. I was at Eldora in July for the 4 night Royal weekend as well and was disappointed they struggled. He sat on the pole for the Nationals. I think the team can compete anywhere, but it is relatively young compared to most of the WoO teams and with that will come consistency growing pains. I hope they go full time WoO next year as a team in the 87 (not to the 5 car) and I'd say they would win about 6 races and finish 6th or 7th in the points, which is great for any team.

2. Kemenah has not forgotten how to race, he gets the most out of the equipment he is in. I hope he finds a ride in better equipment next year. Right now Tim Shaffer, Kemenah, PPM, Bayston and Schurenberg are folks in the area that can win in the right equipment that I wish could get a full time shot either in the Ohio/PA area or with the All Stars or Outlaws. The number of rides is less than the number of drivers right now.

3. As long as the track is smooth it's easier on equipment and as long as it's not a dust bowl it's easier on the fans. If it's tacky or slick everyone is racing the same track and we have all seen great races on tacky and on slick tracks. We have all seen freight trains on too tacky and follow the leader on too slick. Just keep the track smooth and keep the dust down/manageable and the track has done it's job IMO.

I was born and raised in Lima, Ohio. My weekends growing up usually consisted of Lima, Fremont and Millstream. Sometimes Mansfield, or Eldora or other tracks for special events. Lima and Fremont must address the car count issue or they will end up just like Millstream. They have brought it upon themselves in various ways that I don't need to go into on here. I do notice on here Lima is a whipping boy while Fremont gets a pass by most. One reason is Fremont has been hard on equipment for a long time and many cars have decided to go elsewhere. Other tracks have stepped up yes, but not long ago, 90% of the 410s that raced at Attica on Friday, raced at Fremont on Saturday. Now 8, 9, 10 cars that race at Attica on a Attica/Fremont weekend have decided to go elsewhere. Part of that is because elsewhere tracks have stepped up and part of that is because Fremont has not. I know this is not the most popular opinion here, as it is a Fremont friendly board, but coming from a neutral space, Fremont is going to be left behind if it doesn't change some things. 101 410s raced in Ohio on 27 July I think it was, only 26 decided they would race at Fremont with no other options, to me that says a lot.

5. Always looking forward to the next race and to next year. Ohio Speedweek and King's Royal weekend can not come soon enough every year. Also want to say I look forward to the updates, previews and the rundowns/results I find on this board, keep it up. The banter is fun too, even when the opinions are wrong (like some of you will feel mine are) I look forward to it.

PS: I've forgotten how to update my race counter (about 20 races ago..lol) can someone help
          2019 Race Counter: 3
          Port Royal (1); Attica (1); Waynesfield (1)

Comment

I agree with Point 4 of the “ armyduke “ post above, but I doubt there is potential for meaningful changes on any front. I attempted to engage 2 members of the new regime at Fremont in a polite discussion a couple months ago and was basically rebuffed and actually treated rudely. So, I’ll continue to attend races there when I feel up to it, but with the knowledge that the “ their way or highway “ approach lives on at the “ track that action built “. I used to attend 100 % of their events, but now down to 60%, and that’s in addition to their reduced schedule.

Comment

I went to fremont Friday and the crowd was fair. $10 admission which was a plus to me. The problem there is the track. The banking is clearly missing and the 410s cant get going. Maybe the wrecks where more frequent with farmer having it wet/rough and with the banking. The mud flying into the stands from the cushion is turn 4 could of been reason to change things to I dont know. I do know it makes it less appealing to drive up there 2 and half hours. Probably wont make it to the jim ford this year since the scheduling is so terrible by all the tracks wanting to run that weekend. I understand the allstars are at atomic the weekend before and Eldora has the 4 crown the following weekend but the local tracks in northern ohio and western pa sucks for the 21st of September. Hopefully next year the jim ford is allstar sanctioned so wcs and Sharon don't schedule against it.

Comment

The timeliness at Fremont has been the biggest issue since they’ve seemed to got track prep figured out. Each of the 5 times I’ve been there it’s started 20-30 minutes late.
                2019 Race Counter: 25
                Attica (10), Fremont (5), Wayne Co. (2), Waynesfield (2), Lawrenceburg (1), Butler (2), Mansfield (1), Gas City (1), Eldora (1)

Comment

Basically Fremont has the same employees as it did before. Really not much of a change as everyone thought it would be so different. You would have to have a total house cleaning for change I believe.

Not sure who does the track prep currently but ever since they changed the track formation back how many years ago, it has not been Fremont. That was the secret to Fremont that made the track racy.

Maybe they need to revert to the old formation.

Lima on the other hand is being run by the school that really does not have its heart in racing. It's more like playing with racing. They have Lima to justify the school programs. It serves it purpose first for the school and secondary for weekly racing. I don't see Lima changing any time soon.
                  That would require someone to take action on the drainage there as the main concern.

Comment

Originally posted by GTigers55 View Post
                    The timeliness at Fremont has been the biggest issue since they’ve seemed to got track prep figured out. Each of the 5 times I’ve been there it’s started 20-30 minutes late.
                    Most races there this year ( the overwhelming majority ) have started late from 30-45 minutes. They pushed back the start time last week due to it being a Friday show and still started 35 minutes late. Tried discussing this with one of the new management team and he was on the defensive and his reply was to ask me if I’ve always done everything 100% correctly in my life. With that kind of attitude, I have zero faith in the new “ team “. I give them one to two more years before it tanks. Been going there regularly since 1961 but it’s the worst it’s ever been. Hopefully, a miracle will occur and their arrogance will subside.

Comment

Originally posted by Food For Thought View Post

Most races there this year ( the overwhelming majority ) have started late from 30-45 minutes. They pushed back the start time last week due to it being a Friday show and still started 35 minutes late. Tried discussing this with one of the new management team and he was on the defensive and his reply was to ask me if I’ve always done everything 100% correctly in my life. With that kind of attitude, I have zero faith in the new “ team “. I give them one to two more years before it tanks. Been going there regularly since 1961 but it’s the worst it’s ever been. Hopefully, a miracle will occur and their arrogance will subside.
                      I have never understood why some promoters play the defensive card whenever there is the least amount of constructive criticism thrown there way. Why would someone say "do you do everything 100% correct in your life." That is just an idiotic response.

If you install roofs and you sell on the fact it will be done on the day the install starts and 2 days later it's not done, would the response be, "well do you do everything 100% correctly." If you to a business at 10 that says it opens at 9 do you think they would say "well do you show up to work on time every day."

Your customers are telling you ways to make yourself better. Some of these guys need to check their ego & leave it at the gate

Comment

Seriously that is the wrong attitude to take with paying customers. They could at least listen and answer they will check into it. They had better listen to the paying customers or there wont be any. Im not meaning that folks need to nitpit them to death but just let them know that something really bothers them.
                        Mansfield listened about the rocks and worked on that.

Its not easy just taking up the track to run it even though 2 members are related to wife of former promoter so should be able to ask advice. Also the wallet may not be fat enough to pay track prep folks with some knowledge. Lots of factors to consider cause this is no easy job. There is so much to running a race track and the hours you have to put into it are more than you can imagine when you are restarting a track.

Since Fremont and Attica do the AFSC together maybe they could get advice from Attica.

Hopefully they are kinder to folks and lose the egotistical approach and realize folks want the track in action.

Comment

I really haven't had any issue with the track prep there since the first 4 or 5 shows, which is the norm for a new regime it seems to get it figured out. I do wish there was a wee bit more banking to the track but it hasn't been dusty, and it's slick and racy but not 16 seconds in qualifying slick either.
                          2019 Race Counter: 25
                          Attica (10), Fremont (5), Wayne Co. (2), Waynesfield (2), Lawrenceburg (1), Butler (2), Mansfield (1), Gas City (1), Eldora (1)

Comment

I'm guessing you to wrong person. I have idea whom said that and he's far from in charge that I can see. 2 people I have spoken to have listened and we're excited to hear feedback and talk. The 3rd well I have no use for that idiot. Told them then he'd be best where nobody could talk to him like infield. One big thing I notice is too many chiefs and not enough Indians. They need 1 strong in charge voice then divide bosses to area's like accident, track prep, pits, etc and rest of people listen to them

Comment

ORRRRRR PERHAPS they are doing it run people away OH look we are losing money at the race track GUESS we will have to close. Now what are we going to with that land across the street? Do you think anybody would want to BUY it??

Comment

Working...
                              X