Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weekend Outlook 9/12-9/14

Weekend Highlights

-The big news in Ohio this weekend is the Dean Knittel Memorial at Atomic Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. 3 straight nights of All Star Circuit of Champions action as the points battle between reigning Champion Aaron Reutzel and 6 Time ASCoC champion Dale Blaney heats up. Thursday night features only one division with the sprints making up the previously cancelled speedweek show. Friday the all star 410s are accompanied by an unsanctioned open 305 show with the all stars paying $5,054 to win. Saturday night the all stars compete for a $12,554 to win purse in honor of Dean Knittle and will be supported by a $3554 to win Super Late Model show and a $3k to win open 305 show.

-Season Championship nights wrap up Saturday at Oakshade and Fremont respectively. Devin Shiels is seeking another track championship at Oakshade as he has a 51 point lead over the 77 of Steve Kester heading into the final night. Meanwhile in Fremont, Californian hotshoe Buddy Kofoid holds a 9 point lead of DJ Foos. The Gibsonburg Ohio driver of Nate Dussell still holds an outside chance with only 29 markers back. As for DJ Foos, he is seeking to pull of the 410 triple crown for northwest Ohio, already claiming the Attica Raceway Park championship and the AFCS championship.

Weekend Plans

-I plan on heading to Gas City Speedway Friday for the American Ethanol Modified series as well as the weekly Non Wing sprints, compacts, and an appearance by the USAC D2 Midgets. Satuday night I'm planning on staying close to home and headed over to Fremont Speedway for season championship night.
    • September 12th
      • Atomic Speedway – ASCoC 410 Sprints
    • September 13th
      • Atomic Speedway – ASCoC 410 Sprints, 305s
      • Moler Raceway Park – Late Models, Modifieds, Sport Mods, Mini Sprints
      • Raceway 7 – Test N Tune
    • September 14th
      • Atomic Speedway – ASCoC 410 Sprints, Late Models, 305s (Dean Knittel Memorial - $12k+ to win Sprints, $3k+ Late Models, $3k to win 305s)
      • Fremont Speedway – 410 Sprints, 305 Sprints, Trucks (Track championship)
      • Midway Speedway – Late Models, Modifieds, Sport Mods, Modlites, Compacts, Stocks, Wedges
      • Oakshade Raceway – Late Models, Sportsman, Stocks, Compacts (Season Championship)
      • Raceway 7 – Late Models, E-Mods, Econo-Mods, Compacts ($5k to win LMs, $2k to win E-Mods – 9/15 raindate)
      • 35 Raceway Park – IMCA 305 Sprints, Compacts, Stocks

2019 Race Counter: 31
    Attica (10), Fremont (6), Wayne Co. (2), Waynesfield (2), Butler (2), Gas City (2), Lawrenceburg (1), Mansfield (1), Eldora (1), Oakshade (1), Big B (1), Montpelier (1), Rumble in Fort Wayne (1)

Fremont was great last night. 21 410s, 21 305s, and 26 Trucks. Started on time, last checkered waved at 9:45. Track was slick but no dust once when sun went down at all. Good night of racing! Brad Mitten was door to door with pole sitter Kent Brewer coming to the line for the checkered.
    Attica (10), Fremont (6), Wayne Co. (2), Waynesfield (2), Butler (2), Gas City (2), Lawrenceburg (1), Mansfield (1), Eldora (1), Oakshade (1), Big B (1), Montpelier (1), Rumble in Fort Wayne (1)

Comment

Dust was pit side and water truck went MIA for 2nd week.

Comment

Sounds like they listened to someone by starting show on time and kept it moving.

Comment

Originally posted by RRacer70 View Post
          Sounds like they listened to someone by starting show on time and kept it moving.
          I wrote about the timeliness issue earlier in the week, and stayed away this weekend due to late hours. Will try them this weekend , but with my luck, they might be back to foot dragging. Their timeliness or lack thereof has been an on again, off again problem which varies week to week. Maybe they are reading PIT GATE weekly to get some feedback and can make the show move along 2 weeks in a row on Sept. 20 and 21. I’ll be first in line to congratulate them if they can get it right on this 2 day show.

Comment

I'll be supporting WCS this 2 day weekend show. WCS has always done their 2 day show on this weekend of Sept. Sadly Fremont moved to same weekend for Jim Ford this time.
            So wont be finding out their time management this upcoming weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by RRacer70 View Post
              I'll be supporting WCS this 2 day weekend show. WCS has always done their 2 day show on this weekend of Sept. Sadly Fremont moved to same weekend for Jim Ford this time.
              So wont be finding out their time management this upcoming weekend.
              Didn’t have much option with the Dean Knittle. I’d expect the Ford to be an ASCoC again next year. At least I’m hoping.

Comment

Originally posted by GTigers55 View Post

Didn’t have much option with the Dean Knittle. I’d expect the Ford to be an ASCoC again next year. At least I’m hoping.
                I am not really seeing it with how the All-Star schedule is right now especially if it is the same time/weekend as this year or really anytime in September!

The Attica races which one use to be the Dirt Classic for $10,000 to win and Wayne County with the Jacobs $10,000 to win race the first weekend which is 4-race Labor Day weekend.

The following week they are in PA with a couple of races which include the Tusky $52,000 to win race. Can't see the All-Stars giving up those big races if they have anything to say about it.

Then the following weekend being at Atomic for Dean Knittel race which is just going to keep growing bigger and bigger with the announcement of next year race being $15,554 top prize and a good purse throughout the field with a lot of extra money added for various awards like this years and they said one day they would like to see it grow to $54,000 to win someday.

Then the following weekend doubt the All-Stars will change to the Ford race especially if the PA tracks wants to keep the All-Stars with having a 3-weekend race for $5,000 at Williams Grove, $20,000 at Lincoln with a good purse for the Dirt Classic, and $5,000 at Hagerstown.

The season wraps up at the end of the month with the Four Crown weekend at Eldora where the All-Stars finish the year on Saturday night and the WoO are at Eldora on Friday night so they aren't going to schedule against that date either.

Best bet is to move the Ford date if they want to get the All-Stars back now and would be interesting to see if Fremont would want to move the date till after the 4-crown race weekend which would be the first weekend in October which I think they could get a lot of invaders/cars/drivers/teams and get a lot of fans especially if they know a big car count/names are coming in for a 2-day finale of the All-Stars? That weekend the only issue is I am sure some of the All-Star teams (top 4-5 teams) would like to venture with the WoO that weekend when they go back to Williams Grove for the $56,000 to win race on Saturday night, but then you got to factor in the weather and all kinds of things if you go any later, but think that weekend would likely be the best especially if Fremont wants to keep it that late in the year.
                2020 Schedule: Likely 50 races, but hopefully make 25 again because of rain.

2020 Race Counter: 0
                Tracks: 0
                Dirtvision (WoO): 0
                Speedshift (All-Stars): 0
                Rain: 0

Comment

Originally posted by DirtRacer42 View Post

I am not really seeing it with how the All-Star schedule is right now especially if it is the same time/weekend as this year or really anytime in September!

The Attica races which one use to be the Dirt Classic for $10,000 to win and Wayne County with the Jacobs $10,000 to win race the first weekend which is 4-race Labor Day weekend.

The following week they are in PA with a couple of races which include the Tusky $52,000 to win race. Can't see the All-Stars giving up those big races if they have anything to say about it.

Then the following weekend being at Atomic for Dean Knittel race which is just going to keep growing bigger and bigger with the announcement of next year race being $15,554 top prize and a good purse throughout the field with a lot of extra money added for various awards like this years and they said one day they would like to see it grow to $54,000 to win someday.

Then the following weekend doubt the All-Stars will change to the Ford race especially if the PA tracks wants to keep the All-Stars with having a 3-weekend race for $5,000 at Williams Grove, $20,000 at Lincoln with a good purse for the Dirt Classic, and $5,000 at Hagerstown.

The season wraps up at the end of the month with the Four Crown weekend at Eldora where the All-Stars finish the year on Saturday night and the WoO are at Eldora on Friday night so they aren't going to schedule against that date either.

Best bet is to move the Ford date if they want to get the All-Stars back now and would be interesting to see if Fremont would want to move the date till after the 4-crown race weekend which would be the first weekend in October which I think they could get a lot of invaders/cars/drivers/teams and get a lot of fans especially if they know a big car count/names are coming in for a 2-day finale of the All-Stars? That weekend the only issue is I am sure some of the All-Star teams (top 4-5 teams) would like to venture with the WoO that weekend when they go back to Williams Grove for the $56,000 to win race on Saturday night, but then you got to factor in the weather and all kinds of things if you go any later, but think that weekend would likely be the best especially if Fremont wants to keep it that late in the year.
                  Another option would be that Atomic move the Dean Knittle race. I mean last year it was in July I believe and it is not like Atomic necessarily has a tradition with keeping events on the same date. Freedom 40 has been in July, August, and not October I think. The Old Open Wheel Championship was in October 2104 (Renegade sanction), then August (All Star), then September or October again for the All Star Finale in 2016. The night the Stars came out was usually around July 4th now it is typically the Speedweek date in June.

I think GTigers has the right hope. I think if Atomic could be willing to move the Knittle ( and it is possible) then the All Stars could sanction the Jim Ford Classic and Fremont gets a few more Fremont dates in 2020.

Comment

Atomic had a great date for the Knittle race as they were not up against other tracks. They had 40 cars and an unbelievable crowd. I think they will keep that date cause that was a money maker.

It just seems Fremont would do better doing the
                    first full weekend of Sept. Doing the Jim Ford classic then and you have the chance of really good weather. or something else at end of season where you are not up against so many other tracks running.

Comment

Originally posted by Sprint14 View Post

Another option would be that Atomic move the Dean Knittle race. I mean last year it was in July I believe and it is not like Atomic necessarily has a tradition with keeping events on the same date. Freedom 40 has been in July, August, and not October I think. The Old Open Wheel Championship was in October 2104 (Renegade sanction), then August (All Star), then September or October again for the All Star Finale in 2016. The night the Stars came out was usually around July 4th now it is typically the Speedweek date in June.

I think GTigers has the right hope. I think if Atomic could be willing to move the Knittle ( and it is possible) then the All Stars could sanction the Jim Ford Classic and Fremont gets a few more Fremont dates in 2020.
                      But why ask them to move it? I see no reason why Atomic would want to switch or even if they was asked to switch to be in favor of it especially if they have the exact same schedule next season. Right now with a big event with the total purse and to win becoming bigger and bigger would be tough for the All-Stars to tell them to move the date right now unless they felt comfortable with another date especially when Atomic basically said this event is going to get bigger and bigger with their hopes to have it a 54,000 to win event someday.

Not sure why Fremont can't move the Ford race because it has already been moved before along with the fact that they haven't been with the All-Stars in awhile so if they want a bigger date they might be forced to move the event. Again I believe if Fremont want to get back with the All-Stars with some bigger shows they might have to be the one to move their dates/special events around. The Knittle race at least to me seems to be growing quite rapidly and turning into a lot bigger event than the Ford event was or currently is right now. Also besides the bigger to win event they had a very good payout as well and announced it is getting bigger for 2020.

With Fremont having the fair and the amount of time they shut down the track for it it really makes it tough to try and make it work when they really want it especially when you see these All-Star dates in PA for big money and now the Atomic race as well.

Here is a crazy concept actually run a sprint car race in Ohio during October? I know it isn't something nobody wants to do even though PA and so many other places are doing it on a regular basis. Heck if the weather starts getting colder than have a early flex starting time or maybe even run a Sunday afternoon show. I know crazy idea.
                      Last edited by DirtRacer42; September 18th, 2019, 12:31 AM.
                      2020 Schedule: Likely 50 races, but hopefully make 25 again because of rain.

2020 Race Counter: 0
                      Tracks: 0
                      Dirtvision (WoO): 0
                      Speedshift (All-Stars): 0
                      Rain: 0

Comment

Originally posted by DirtRacer42 View Post
                        Here is a crazy concept actually run a sprint car race in Ohio during October? I know it isn't something nobody wants to do even though PA and so many other places are doing it on a regular basis. Heck if the weather starts getting colder than have a early flex starting time or maybe even run a Sunday afternoon show. I know crazy idea.
                        October 5th - Atomic Speedway - Freedom 40 FAST 410 Sprints $5k to win
                        October 12th - Waynesfield - FAST 410 Sprints
                        October 18th - Atomic - 410 Sprints
                        October 26th - Atomic - 410 Sprints

All due to weather. I would bet on atomics 26th date will get cancelled due to cold weather and rain. Typically happens to about 80% of these late year shows it seems.

Comment

I remember when Fremont ran a sprint race in November before the Thanksgiving week and they had their stock cars also. It was late 80s and early 90s. I don't remember what they called the race.
                          Weather was crisp but good and the crowd and cars were there.
                          Unfortunately the weather patterns have changed.

Comment

Scheduling has me irritated this year with these end of year shows. Jim Ford this weekend is really disappointing. I usually go every year but this year its not worth it to me. WCS ,Sharon, Plymouth are all running this weekend. Eriez is running against Sharon too with the other divisions. The weather has been better in October then usual the last few years. Tracks want to start earlier when its 34 degrees in March but not run in the fall. Im irritated that 3 shows I usually attend 2 out of 3 every year is running the same day. Apple Fest, Jim Ford and WCS which makes all these shows less interesting. Jim Ford used to pull cars from Michigan,indiana, and western pa but now its just a Fast series show with the locals. Schaffer going to fremont I seen on twitter but im betting that's it for invaders coming in. Im just going to go to Sharon Friday since I got a free pass and WCS on Saturday since its closer. The good news is next weekend is still September and nobody will be running. 4 hours to Eldora or 3.5 to atomic.

Comment

Yes I always try to attend the final race at WCS and would have tried the Jim Ford classic if it had not been on the same weekend as WCS.
                              Just saw an ad that Hilltop is doing 2 day final show next weekend but no sprints but a 5k for late models.

Comment

Working...
                              X