Another Prominent Track to Close.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Prominent Track to Close.

Very sorry to recently read that East Bay Raceway in Florida will be sold and closed after the 2024 season. I attended their “ East Bay Nationals “ for 410 Sprint Cars for 22 consecutive years ( 1983-2004 ), until the current owners tossed out the 410’s after the 2004 running of the event. Their winter schedule consisted ( and still does ) of 10 to 14 consecutive nights of racing featuring various classes. The 410’s ran for 4 consecutive nights. Over the years it ranged from open comp, to WoO, to All Star sanction. The 410’s always drew fields of 50-60 cars each night on the extremely racey 3/8 mile “ Clay by the Bay “ oval. Over the years, a lot of Ohio based teams made the trip south each February to compete. I’m just writing this for those who might also have attended the East Bay Winternationals at one time or another. One of my many recollections is seeing 13 year old Jeff Gordon making his first start in a Sprint Car at the track. A yellow number 16, in around 1984 or so. I’d be interested in reading any recollections others may have of the track or the Winternationals.

Word on 4m is track near by will keep winter nationals alive after eastbay gone. Arizona & new Mexico been making a strong winter push last few years as well but their late model and modified shows currently.

Comment

I had just read that it was sold to developers on another site and has 5 years left and then gone.

Also read that Bubba was in financial issues and might be closing.

Comment

Bubba saying their tax issues fixed

Comment

Speaking of tracks closing LOLMS put out 2020 schedule and Mansfield is not on it. So it looks like Sommer is done?

Comment

Heard he did not sign the contract to buy. Walked away.
            Evidence was strong at last race. Upkeep was not done. Trash and bleachers not done. He was not as visible like other races. Buying the Bloomquist team and starting Dirt Draft Fantasy Racing app.
            I think too many irons in the fire.
            Now he is promoting Kokomo race and Port Royal.

It's a shame about Mansfield after being brought back to life. Really like that facility.

Comment

YES it was obvious at the Dirt Million he just wanted to get it over and get outta town. Maybe somebody else will step up but not looking good.

Comment

Originally posted by DERF View Post
                YES it was obvious at the Dirt Million he just wanted to get it over and get outta town. Maybe somebody else will step up but not looking good.
                Think he thought he could take over a track full-time and bring the money in quickly with some of these bigger events and all the time, but the problem is you have to keep up on the track and not just appear right before the races. Also when the schedule came out this year and saw less events that previous or not a ton more had a lot of people wondering if this was it for the track. He seems to like events where it is get in and get out type of deal.

Wish Mansfield would be taken over by somebody (like Helms group) who could turn it back into a track that has 12-15 events a year. Likely won't happen since they have gotten their feet wet in Waynesfield, but would be good to have a track like Mansfield with their facilities having some bigger shows that some of the smaller tracks in Ohio cant.
                2019 Race Counter: 25
                Tracks: Attica (5), Bubba (3), Eldora (7), Fremont (1), Mansfield (1), Sharon (1), Volusia (4), Waynesfield (1), Wayne County (2).
                DirtVision: 42.
                Speedshift: 32.
                Rain: Way to many to even count this season!

Comment

I think the Ohio weather did in the purchase of Mansfield.

Comment

Originally posted by RRacer70 View Post
                    I think the Ohio weather did in the purchase of Mansfield.
                    I would say only having what 5 events scheduled did that more than anything and tells me he was looking to hit it big with few events and get back home.
                    2019 Race Counter: 25
                    Tracks: Attica (5), Bubba (3), Eldora (7), Fremont (1), Mansfield (1), Sharon (1), Volusia (4), Waynesfield (1), Wayne County (2).
                    DirtVision: 42.
                    Speedshift: 32.
                    Rain: Way to many to even count this season!

Comment

Mansfield has a dirt (clay) problem. What they need is a Farmer

Comment

Lasalle Speedway in Illinois for sale as well.

wouldn't be shocked if there some truth to farmer wanting mansfield but think was as promoter not owner. Mansfield fit the bill for what Cody was doing, specials only. There's not enough cars to go around anymore. Friday is hilltop, Attica, & lima. Saturday is Fremont, Wayne County, & occasionally Eldora. Big fast half mile tracks hard on motors and really hard on equipment when crash. That alone deters few cars

Comment

Lasalle closed pretty early on this year. Sounded like the few shows they had were kind of a crap show. The Thaw Brawl namely had a lot of controversy around it.
                          2019 Race Counter: 30
                          Attica (10), Fremont (6), Wayne Co. (2), Waynesfield (2), Butler (2), Gas City (2), Lawrenceburg (1), Mansfield (1), Eldora (1), Oakshade (1), Big B (1), Montpelier (1)

Comment

Farmer was there first year and had a lot of his Fremont staff there.
                            There was the Great Lakes Race Disaster which was BOSS and Farmer's deal.
                            Then didnt Cody and Farmer not work together anymore?

Comment

Originally posted by RRacer70 View Post
                              Farmer was there first year and had a lot of his Fremont staff there.
                              There was the Great Lakes Race Disaster which was BOSS and Farmer's deal.
                              Then didnt Cody and Farmer not work together anymore?
                              Great lakes disaster was the car counts being way higher than I think anyone expected.
                              2019 Race Counter: 30
                              Attica (10), Fremont (6), Wayne Co. (2), Waynesfield (2), Butler (2), Gas City (2), Lawrenceburg (1), Mansfield (1), Eldora (1), Oakshade (1), Big B (1), Montpelier (1)

Comment

Working...
                              X