Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sandusky or Mansfield ? Which track sells 1st and which one would you buy?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sandusky or Mansfield ? Which track sells 1st and which one would you buy?

be interesting to see what happens with these tracks

Sandusky for sale?

Comment

“IF” both tracks were for sale, my guess is Sandusky would sell first because there are more possibilities there for commercial development than Mansfield, although both have commercial development potential. I doubt Sandusky, if sold, would continue as a race track. Same guess for Mansfield. Doubt it would be a race track if sold. Not busting anyone or anything, just answering the hypothetical question posed. My first visit to Sandusky was around 1961 or 1962. In it’s heyday, was a Mecca for super modifieds. Unfortunately, it’s been a very low key operation for years now.

Comment

As food for thought said it probably depends on commercial development at this point. From a pure racing sense, Sandusky would probably be in more people's budget as I am sure Mansfield would come with a hefty price tag so based on that it would probably sell faster as a race track (if for sale). For me, it would depend on budget. If its mega millions money and I do not really have any financial concerns it would be Mansfield. I think the facility itself would sell tickets as long as you brought in the talent/competition to sell tickets. If you do 5-10 mixed special events with some key sanctioning bodies and independent shows you would get a decent crowd to travel in.

I always wanted to go to Sandusky Speedway but never had the opportunity to make it up there for a race. Hopefully the opportunity still exists.

Comment

Sandusky can sell easier where ot is located for commercial use and likely what the owner is hoping for I am betting.

Haven't been to Sandusky speedway in along time, but doubt things have changed that much which means most of the facilty is worn down/tired and needs a lot of work. From that standpoint alone Mansfield makes the better/smarter choice if price tag was the same which I doubt it likely is. Last point asphalt racing in Ohio seems to be fading while dirt racing is seeing a steady climb so that again favors Mansfield.

Comment

Would like to see Mansfield stay active as I really enjoyed the shows there. The facility is very nice. The bleachers are some of the best.
            It is definitely a track to run special events at as there is adequate parking, camping, seating, pit area and very close to a major highways for traveling.
            Did I hear the owner had already sold off quite a chunk of the land there?
            How would that affect the track operation?

Comment

Sandusky more likely to sell but I agree for commercial use.

Mansfield less likely to sell but if it does I think it stands a better chance to race. Too many other fields to build factories in around Mansfield not to mention the spot where the GM factory was in Ontario has been for sale around a decade.
              2020 Race Watch Counter: 11
              Lincoln (1), I-96 (1), Fremont (3), Attica (2), Oakshade (1), Dubuque (1), 34 Raceway (1), Knoxville (1)

2020 Kart Race Counter: 6
              Palmyra (1), Fremont (1), 257 (1), Big B (1), Little D (1), Owl’s Nest (1)

Comment

ThorSport uses the speedway for testing. I hope they buy the track.

Comment

Sounds cliché but Tony Stewart or someone with big ties to nascar would be best option to buy Mansfield. Place is well suited for a nascar on dirt race. Tony prolly wont let the trucks go elsewhere besides Eldora unless hes involved since that would make his race less special. As nice as it was with Cody running it I don't see what could be done there. Special events only track hasn't seemed to work. Fans didn't flock to it with the money he put out. Its to big of a track to run weekly.Not enough 410s or latemodels in the area either. Cant run smaller divisions since the place is so huge and the cost of opening the doors would be way more then they could make. Location is bad being in the middle of the state for weather systems passing through. Im not sure how the current owner is going to sell it. Has to be worth more as a race track then land. I don't see the land being in high demand unless the airport some how really needed to expand.

I don't know 1 thing about Sandusky.

Comment

Originally posted by mudinmybeer View Post
                    Sounds cliché but Tony Stewart or someone with big ties to nascar would be best option to buy Mansfield. Place is well suited for a nascar on dirt race. Tony prolly wont let the trucks go elsewhere besides Eldora unless hes involved since that would make his race less special. As nice as it was with Cody running it I don't see what could be done there. Special events only track hasn't seemed to work. Fans didn't flock to it with the money he put out. Its to big of a track to run weekly.Not enough 410s or latemodels in the area either. Cant run smaller divisions since the place is so huge and the cost of opening the doors would be way more then they could make. Location is bad being in the middle of the state for weather systems passing through. Im not sure how the current owner is going to sell it. Has to be worth more as a race track then land. I don't see the land being in high demand unless the airport some how really needed to expand.

I don't know 1 thing about Sandusky.
                    When it opened they had a lot of fans there, but the track let those fans down many time over.

Also hard to get fans there when you don't bring in the WoO or All-Stars for big events and try and be a "special events only" type of track.

I don't get the "the track is to big for regular events" because in PA that is all they have is big tracks and seem to do quite well with it.

As for special events you need more than a handful to draw a crowd or even any type of regular fan-base.

Comment

As has been mentioned, Sandusky Speedway needs a ton of work in order to get it up to modern day racing. The only big race they still have is the Hy-Miler which is the "Nationals" for the supermodifieds. They still draw a decent crowd for it but it could be so much better. Kevin Jaycock isn't going to put the effort or money into the track. The value of the property where it is located would certainly seem to be for commercial development. Tying it into a package with the former Kroger property located nearby, it certainly could be a big time development.

Mansfield on the other hand needs to remain a race track in my opinion. I doubt it would be a highly sought after property for commercial development as it stands right now. The location is suited for a race track but again it would take someone with deep pockets to make this happen. Why Cody bailed would be a good bit of information for anyone thinking of taking this project on. Time I guess will tell.

Comment

I think Cody's interest shifted to becoming an owner of the Team Zero Bloomquist team and his Dirt Draft Game.

All those rainouts killed his money invested in the track I would believe.

Probably less headache with his new acquisitions.

Comment

Originally posted by Mud Packer View Post
                          Why Cody bailed would be a good bit of information for anyone thinking of taking this project on. Time I guess will tell.
                          That was his last year of leasing the track so he had to decide on buying it or not racing I believe.

Comment

Sandusky will sell at sheriffs sale eventually. It's behind in taxes
                            Last edited by RYAN5R; February 24th, 2020, 07:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DirtRacer42 View Post

When it opened they had a lot of fans there, but the track let those fans down many time over.

Also hard to get fans there when you don't bring in the WoO or All-Stars for big events and try and be a "special events only" type of track.

I don't get the "the track is to big for regular events" because in PA that is all they have is big tracks and seem to do quite well with it.

As for special events you need more than a handful to draw a crowd or even any type of regular fan-base.
                              Cody had some good/great ideas but the execution at times seemed to be the drizzling sh!t$ at times. The late nights, dusty track, rocks, etc didn't help matters.

Looking back on it, it just seemed like he thought he could throw big money around & get a crowd & be a bit of a trailblazer. I remember everyone talking about how much better the SCWC would be compared to the Kings Royal because its "purse" was bigger. However when you looked at it by position, only the winners share paid more than the KR & everything after 2nd paid less. Then you had lack of cooperation with other tracks which I know some people don't care about, but I'm someone of the opinion of grow the pie instead of getting a bigger piece. Some of his tactics seemed to me he didn't care about the health of the sport overall, just his own business which is fine, but I think some were blinded by the high $$ winner share and thought he was helping.

The lack of cooperation & lack of planning came back to bite them last year with rainouts & especially the SCWC rainout. How can you not have a back up plan for a show like that. Kings Royal has raced till morning the following day & so has Knoxville. World 100 & Dream have been rescheduled before. Now I know a lot of rain fell that weekend but not having anything planned beforehand when you have that kind of money is a little senseless. I think it all came down to his eyes were bigger & put more on his plate than his stomach could handle

Comment

Working...
                              X