When will racing start in Ohio?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When will racing start in Ohio?

Title says it all. I initially thought in April but I’m thinking with the government reaction I don’t think we’ll see any racing in Ohio until the beginning of May or (hopefully) the latter half of April!
    April
    17.65%
    May
    29.41%
    June
    47.06%
    July
    0%
    August or later
    0%
    Not at all
    5.88%

The poll is expired.

2020 Race Counter: 1
    Lincoln (1)

As for racing, hoping for May, but probably June might be the earliest especially if the experts keep saying we are 2-3 weeks from the top of this.

The sad part is even or when racing starts back up will people have money to go to the races whether they are fans, drivers, teams, owners? I am sure many people will be busting out and trying to enjoy getting back to normal, but some will probably slow back into it as well to make sure.

Seeing people being laid off more and more all the time is a bad deal which could be weeks or even a month(s). Most people don't have a clue how to live on unemployment where others deal with it on a yearly basis because of their job. How far will Ohio go of shutting down jobs, the state, etc... See where California has basically asked people to stay at home right now and shutting down 40 million people.

The one thing I am trying to figure out for some people is how are they going to get unemployment checks? Isn't a deal where if your part-time you don't qualify for it or they making a special exception because of the virus similar to doing away with the waiting week? People that live on tips usually don't count all their money for tax purposes so that could likely hurt them now having to claim for it.

Comment

Originally posted by DirtRacer42 View Post
      The one thing I am trying to figure out for some people is how are they going to get unemployment checks? Isn't a deal where if your part-time you don't qualify for it or they making a special exception because of the virus similar to doing away with the waiting week? People that live on tips usually don't count all their money for tax purposes so that could likely hurt them now having to claim for it.
      From what I understand it’s much less restrictive on who can get unemployment benefits right now. That and government is pushing through a stimulus package of $1k to everyone (or something like that) to try and help the economy to recover. Hopefully it all shakes out okay in the end for everyone who’s jobs were affected.

Thankful I have an irreplaceable job in healthcare, even a lot of many nurses are displaced right now with elective surgeries currently done. Not to mention the surgical techs and all the other people that go into that side. Voluntary respiratory testing is done at my hospital right now since they’re obviously a major risk group.
      2020 Race Counter: 1
      Lincoln (1)

Comment

I am trying to stay optimistic through all of this so I hope and voted that we will see some racing by the end of April

Comment

Using other countries just as a control factor, it may unfortunately not be until July. Italy had similar reaction in certain respects, first case was 1/31/20 and yesterday they had 627 deaths alone, with the total surpassing China. China somewhat has gotten a grip on their situation and it started in Nov/Dec for them. Our first cases were March so could be June or July till you start thinking about it.

Then as Tigers said, economics will add another element. I am fortunate too as my company offers continuing health products to doctors & hospitals. A lot of people however do not have that luxury & will either be on unemployment, reduced pay, or lose their business. I'm not sure whatever stimulus is passed will be enough for a lot & I don't mean that in a political sense, just strictly an economic sense. Couple Grand may help with some bills but as far as discretionary money saved to spend on race Tix, concerts, movies, etc it will be tight. Even if the quarantine ends in a month or so, companies across the country will be feeling the effects for a long time

Comment

SOME THOUGHTS
            People Bought season passes to the racetracks and some bought at more than 1 track.
            I was wondering how that will work out.

My work has been work hours cut so I will have less income, still will have a job for now.
            I was being hopeful thinking end of April but I fear it will be closer to August thinking of crowd control.
            So far Ohio has not been locked down like other states but it may be coming if we follow a pattern.

Saw Walmart and grocers offering jobs to those who lost jobs and others with bonus pay offered. Looking for stockroom and grocery pickers so this may help.

Everyone has spent a lot of money getting prescriptions filled for more than 1 time if allowed, groceries and other items for the duration of this. That is money that will not be a available instantly for entertainment. Folks were buying freezers and generators which are big ticket items.

I'm just seeing in my mind when racing resumes, that folks will definitely consider their finances on where they will go if specials or just regular shows. This can really hurt a tracks economy if they do big shows.

We need to keep a positive attitude to get us all thru this and not nit pick each other on here as this may be a source of our social interaction if we are in shelter at home mode.

Comment

Italy is tiny with tons of people think, I don't know, Virginia with Italy population and what's gonna happen?.

why can't we get closer too comparing that Apple to Apple? Instead news, media, etc wants to keep comparing walnuts to oranges

Comment

Originally posted by Jim11h View Post
                Instead news, media, etc wants to keep comparing walnuts to oranges
                That or they lie, bury their head in the sand, and just try and protect certain people or what "he" was saying at one time. Also this type of reporting made it worse for many people because they believed this network and thought it was a hoax, trying to lay blame, and also trying to convince the American people it isn't as bad as many others were saying.

Take a look at some of the dates -- only days apart or even just a week.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim11h View Post
                  Italy is tiny with tons of people think, I don't know, Virginia with Italy population and what's gonna happen?.

why can't we get closer too comparing that Apple to Apple? Instead news, media, etc wants to keep comparing walnuts to oranges
                  No one is saying we were Italy, just the reaction was similar. I get that some people are upset but some of you really need to stop blaming the media on this. A lot of people are leaning on a crutch the past number of years that just because individuals react a certain way towards whatever topic it's because of the media. All of the precautions that have been taken are because scientists at the CDC & WHO suggested them. When this whole thing began all I heard was people quoting their favorite political talking head on whatever news organization & not 1 person mentioned what medical professionals were saying, that's on people not media. The CDC told people to wash their hands, cover their mouths & some carried on like it was an inconvenience to them so they bought toilet paper instead.

Facts are you can actually have this in your body for 14days before symptoms show. Fact is it can come on slow then hit you. Fact is that there are not a lot of tests still to see how many people have it so many may currently think they have a cold or flu but actually have this. Fact is it this is highly contagious. Fact is other countries in the world have been infected & eventually took similar precautions.

Apples to oranges is everyone who compares this to the flu. It is not the flu & this was said by the head of The WHO, and they are far more intelligent than anyone on this board or politician. Yes quite of few people die from the flu every year but again it's apples to oranges. It is not like any other virus and the numbers will only climb. Many people have been hospitalized for weeks not just because of quarantine, but because they feel like crap and can't function. Even though in most cases none of us most likely would not die, who the heck really wants to feel like that and risk getting it multiple times in your life. Think of the last time any of you had the flu, in some cases you felt like "death" as some have said. Who actually wants to feel worst than that.

The conflict I have with this is I agree with the approach as scientists & medical experts who only have a stake in the health of humans have suggested. However, the economic impact is not something the world is able to withstand. That isn't to be political, that's just regular supply demand. There is a way but I don't think you can coordinate it among that many countries as it's a global economy

Comment

When the Green Flag drops the Bull$hit Stops !!! That's when we Race !!!

Comment

People just like to start crap. Been said that a couple people around here has the Virus when in reality no cases have been confirmed in or around Allen County Ohio or at least the last I heard anyway.

Comment

I've heard twice from Dr at John Hopkins Dr's on radio and once again they were instrumental in the big dance canceling. I'll take their view and still saycompare Apple to Apple

Comment

Originally posted by Sprintcarfanatic View Post
                          People just like to start crap. Been said that a couple people around here has the Virus when in reality no cases have been confirmed in or around Allen County Ohio or at least the last I heard anyway.
                          The problem is though that test are so hard to come by unless your showing "death-like" symptoms. Heck even the governor yesterday along with his medical expert stated that they aren't likely to test people unless they get worse. That is the one problem I have with all this is testing isn't readily available and we should have been preparing for 2-3 months instead of 2-3 weeks especially when we seen how quickly it was spreading in China.

So hard to really tell how quickly it is spreading, who all has it or even who might of had it weeks/months ago and didn't even know it or thinking it was flu-like symptoms and took care of it similar ways of dealing with it that way.

Comment

To pull this thread back on topic, I voted for June. Might be late June around Speedweek time. Subject to change based on how the next couple of weeks play out.

Comment

Originally posted by Jake B. View Post
                              To pull this thread back on topic, I voted for June. Might be late June around Speedweek time. Subject to change based on how the next couple of weeks play out.
                              As for the topic, the virus is part of the topic on when we go back racing so it is a big impact and discussion shouldn't be frowned upon with people discussing it especially with very little racing, very little posting here, and not much else to discuss or how this all impacts not only racing, but life as we know it currently and going into the new normal whatever that will be.

It is amazing how people frown about chatting things here and almost seems like they would rather have no threads, no post, and have this place dead than have discussions. Sorry, but the virus is a big part of us right now and no matter the topic or thread its impact likely effects everybody and just about any topic that is started or talked about here.

As for when we go back racing or any other sporting event, mass gatherings, etc... I am thinking longer and longer each day because this hasn't even reached it's peak yet and even when this does start dying down will the government allow mass gatherings right away or try and hold off as long as possible so it doesn't start back-up again? How will this effect racing, MLB, NBA, and also going into fall sports such as football and beyond.

Comment

Working...
                              X