Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are the Long Term Effects of COVID...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are the Long Term Effects of COVID...

...on the future of Ohio Dirt Track Racing? I'm thinking there are some good things that could come out of this season.

A few tracks I've seen (Fremont, Atomic, and Jackson Co for example) have all extended their seasons further into fall than in previous years. I'm wondering if we get a good stretch of weather and the tracks get good turnouts for both drivers and fans alike if this could lead into tracks keeping a lengthier schedule into fall. I know many have clamored for such here and with the experiment being put out this year maybe it'll stick around if it's successful.

Outlaws racing at other tracks in Ohio not named Eldora. Saturday's race at Wayne County is the first Outlaw show outside of the Brad Doty Classic to take place at a track not named Eldora Speedway since a June 2016 date at Fremont. Multiple tracks have expressed interest in the past and never were granted a date. With the outlaws getting a bit desperate to fill in dates at this point in the year I think this could open the door for more permanent dates at other tracks. Even if it's just one show a year at WCS it's more variety than we've had in this area for a long time.

Limaland cancelled for the whole year. I'm sure UNOH is probably taking as big a hit as everyone else is financially this year and it makes me wonder if they'll consider either closing or selling the track for the future.
    2020 Race Watch Counter: 11
    Lincoln (1), I-96 (1), Fremont (3), Attica (2), Oakshade (1), Dubuque (1), 34 Raceway (1), Knoxville (1)

2020 Kart Race Counter: 6
    Palmyra (1), Fremont (1), 257 (1), Big B (1), Little D (1), Owl’s Nest (1)

I have seen some silver linings as well. Ability to change scheduling for one which is reaffirmation from last year's speedweeks. Benefits of online ppv (dirtvision & Flo racing) as watching WoO, Attica, and Williams Grove on Friday is nice the add Knoxville & Late Models on Saturday. Crowd wise does not seem like people are staying home to watch instead of going to the track either so maybe more will be branched out.

Outlaws leasing tracks out might be something that could change the business dynamic but we will see if that will continue or if it's something unique for unique times.

I'm cautiously optimistic for Wayne County this weekend. I will be going but I do not know if it will have the team participation that is typical of Ohio tracks which may hurt it's chances & other Ohio tracks for future dates. When you get nearly around 40 to 50 cars in most cases at Eldora & Attica but you get maybe 30 on a Saturday it might not make for good optics on all accounts. I will be going to the race this weekend hoping for the best. It will actually be my 9th race in a month and have tickets to Knoxville next month. Would love to see races at WCS, Waynesfield, and Sharon with the Outlaws.

I like the longer schedules into October. Not everything revolves around football & fans can probably watch most games in the stands. Plus if you can go to football games in the fall & winter you should be able to go races without complaining about the cold.

Comment

I also have concerns on car count at WCS. I am thinking the count will be in the 20s. You have Atomic, Mercer, Fremont that are close. If you are a car that runs good but not up to beating the WoO cars, I would go to one of the 3 as you will probably make the feature and possibly win. You would also have a much better chance of making money. Those tracks will have at least 20 so there is at least 60 cars not coming.

I'm not on all the twitter feeds so dont have any accurate guesses of who is going where.

I think WCS will have a packed house with fans as this is the first WoO here since 1985 and you have the folks like seniors who avoid going to Eldora.

Unfortunately a packed house is not what WoO will base future reference on in my thinking. I'm thinking the car count number is what they would most look at.

Politically Eldora would control the WoO shows as many have mentioned other tracks in Ohio have tried to get shows.

Yes politics plays a big part and I hope folks realize that.

Hopefully this opens doors to other tracks in Ohio to be able to host a WoO show.

Comment

Originally posted by RRacer70 View Post
        I also have concerns on car count at WCS. I am thinking the count will be in the 20s. You have Atomic, Mercer, Fremont that are close. If you are a car that runs good but not up to beating the WoO cars, I would go to one of the 3 as you will probably make the feature and possibly win. You would also have a much better chance of making money. Those tracks will have at least 20 so there is at least 60 cars not coming.

I'm not on all the twitter feeds so dont have any accurate guesses of who is going where.

I think WCS will have a packed house with fans as this is the first WoO here since 1985 and you have the folks like seniors who avoid going to Eldora.

Unfortunately a packed house is not what WoO will base future reference on in my thinking. I'm thinking the car count number is what they would most look at.

Politically Eldora would control the WoO shows as many have mentioned other tracks in Ohio have tried to get shows.

Yes politics plays a big part and I hope folks realize that.

Hopefully this opens doors to other tracks in Ohio to be able to host a WoO show.
        I don't think it's political as much as it's business. Eldora is one of the original tracks, they make money together it's as simple as that. The WoO basically the same every year and for 15+ years they have had 2dates in May, Kings Royal, 4crown. Yes they have added 2 weekday shows but that really isn't taking anything away from other tracks. And other tracks have had Outlaw dates during that period as well so I tend not to buy the theory that Eldora prevents other tracks from being scheduled just simply by telling the Outlaws not to go to a specific area. Looking at the schedule it looks like most tracks re-up their dates for the following year as long as the program goes well. For a few years we had Outlaw races at Attica, Limaland, Fremont, and Eldora and I doubt Eldora told people to move the BDC to Attica then don't schedule Lima & Fremont at all.

Comment

Unfortunately long term is causing some health depts. to rule no grandstands like Attica.
          Very hard on the business.

Comment

Saw a few asphalt tracks cancel events this weekend including Midvale & Kil Kare. I believe Midvale has decided to postpone is entire schedule. As RRacer70 said Attica stated no grandstands. Not sure what it will look like on Saturday but I think if it is anything like the Doty classic then WCS might go the same way as Attica. I hope that is not the case

Have to wonder about the Labor day shows if no grandstand seating is allowed for the All Star shows. Was looking forward to going to all of those shows

Comment

Originally posted by Sprint14 View Post
              As RRacer70 said Attica stated no grandstands.

Have to wonder about the Labor day shows if no grandstand seating is allowed for the All Star shows. Was looking forward to going to all of those shows
              Do you mean general admission tickets? When did they say no grandstands?

Attica has been flirting with the rules this year with the "pit pass" participation rule and seeing the place packed like at the Doty race. Wasn't surprised that the following WoO show was cancelled, but was surprised they was allowed to have regular shows still.

As for the future who knows because things are changing all the time, but people don't seem to be following the rules though. Seems they don't believe it still or don't care, but then will be the ones complaining when race tracks get shut down for not following the rules.

Comment

In pics I saw of WCS, there were pics of lines and everyone crowded together with no masks.

Saw a comment somewhere on people watching PPV they noticed the same and thought it wasnt good if the state or health depts saw that. Also folks who wore masks were surprised how many did not.

General admission also used to be referred to as grandstand tickets at many tracks.

I think some had to close grandstands or mark off every other row and pits were told to not sit in small pit stands but to space out in grandstands at some tracks I had read.

It truly is a week by week playbook.

Comment

Originally posted by DirtRacer42 View Post

Do you mean general admission tickets? When did they say no grandstands?

Attica has been flirting with the rules this year with the "pit pass" participation rule and seeing the place packed like at the Doty race. Wasn't surprised that the following WoO show was cancelled, but was surprised they was allowed to have regular shows still.

As for the future who knows because things are changing all the time, but people don't seem to be following the rules though. Seems they don't believe it still or don't care, but then will be the ones complaining when race tracks get shut down for not following the rules.
                  Correct GA Tix. Not sure if that means you are or not allowed in grandstands or not but it was a quick thing I saw on Facebook this past week. I was at the Doty and a number of people were buying pit passes and sitting in the granstands. I was talking to one of the crew guys after that event and he asked me, "how strict is Ohio on the whole Covid thing?" I told him pretty strict but a lot of people are not following guidelines either out of "protest", or "rights", or just whinnying because they are asked/told to do something. He said "I sure hope they don't see any photos of this thing cause that 31st race probably ain't going to happen."

I wasn't surprised when it was cancelled either for the 31st. Somewhat surprised about the weekly show. I went to Fremont last Saturday & it seemed that you could get a distance from others pretty well so maybe that is why. Portsmouth during speedweek said they were only allowed 2500 GA Tix & had taped off sections of the grandstand. People were still buying pit passes and removing the tape. Hardly any masks as we were probably the few that had them on.

Future is up in the air but then again, only really a couple months left with labor day weekend the big one. I don't think 4crown will happen. Seems people are still being hard headed about things instead of following simple rules. My dad has complained non stop during this thing and was anti mask but he said even though he hates them and is against them that if people would just wear them then things might get back to normal quicker. Kind of makes a valid point. Whether you are for or against them now it's kinda like being back in school. You don't necessarily want to do what the teacher says but the sooner you & everyone does it, the sooner you can get to recess or fun time

Comment

Working...
                  X