Iowa

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iowa

I went out for a race-cation to Iowa with a couple of Michigan buddies this past weekend.

Night one we attended the Sprint Invaders (360) at Dubuque Co. Fairgrounds Speedway along with IMCA mods, sport mods, and hobby stocks. Some of the notable names in attendance were eventual winner and former ASCS national touring member Seth Bergman, Knoxville regular Lynton Jeffrey, MOWA regular Paul Neinheiser, Canadian Alex Hill, former Sprint Invaders champs in chris Martin and Kyle Schultz, Midget ace tucker Klaasmeyer. and Californian Kyle Offill. The 3/8th mile track was well prepped for its annual sprint car show and the racing did not disappoint. Two solid grooves on a smooth racetrack and the 360 sprints absolutely whipped around the northeast Iowa oval. Bergman dominated utilizing the top groove of Dubuque. New name to me and extremely likable young man JK Hickle in the 63 coming from the state of Washington (currently California) was running third until the car broke late in the race.

Night 2 we went to West Burlington and 34 Raceway for the all star and IMCA 305 show.27 all stars checked in including future winner Kyle Larson. The grandstands were excellent but remaining facilities were pretty outdated. The track was narrow but heavy rains the day before May have impacted that. Larson won and tied the record for most consecutive wins in ASCoC. Cody Wehrle came from row three in the IMCA feature to win his 3rd straight at 34.

The third and final night we attended the famed Knoxville Raceway at Marion co. Fairgrounds. They started quite a bit late with the heats pushing off at 906 local time (730 “start”). Sounds like this is routine from what I heard from locals. Racing was good, facilities are completely unmatched. Gotta start on time though... Got to witness Larson make history with his 7th consecutive ASCoC feature win.
    2020 Race Watch Counter: 11
    Lincoln (1), I-96 (1), Fremont (3), Attica (2), Oakshade (1), Dubuque (1), 34 Raceway (1), Knoxville (1)

2020 Kart Race Counter: 6
    Palmyra (1), Fremont (1), 257 (1), Big B (1), Little D (1), Owl’s Nest (1)

Thank you for your viewpoint.

I'm amazed to hear that Knoxville is not efficient on starting times.

Is it to get more people to spend money on concessions and souvenirs to carry the weekly show? Did the locals say?

How do they manage to run the Nationals on time if they cant run the weekly show on time?

Seems they spend a small fortune advertising for what I have seen and having an amazing facility and sounds like they had a full time staff there.

Comment

Originally posted by RRacer70 View Post
      Thank you for your viewpoint.

Is it to get more people to spend money on concessions and souvenirs to carry the weekly show? Did the locals say?

How do they manage to run the Nationals on time if they cant run the weekly show on time?

Seems they spend a small fortune advertising for what I have seen and having an amazing facility and sounds like they had a full time staff there.
      It being run by the fairgrounds of like a non-profit group so they use up all the money and goes back into the track/facilities.

They was likely a hour behind

Comment

Originally posted by RRacer70 View Post

We asked someone when the GA Gates opened and they said 6, but they never open on time and laughed.

Turns out they weren’t wrong. My only thinking is it takes a while to park trailers in the infield and they can’t start until they’re in the pits. They don’t park the rigs in the middle for nationals. But given you do it every week you’d think it’d be done more efficiently.

Racing was pretty good though and I would certainly be open to going back.

However Dubuque is one hell of a hidden gem. They run one Sprint Invaders show a year during their fair and IMCA stuff semi weekly. I highly recommend visiting that track.
        2020 Race Watch Counter: 11
        Lincoln (1), I-96 (1), Fremont (3), Attica (2), Oakshade (1), Dubuque (1), 34 Raceway (1), Knoxville (1)

2020 Kart Race Counter: 6
        Palmyra (1), Fremont (1), 257 (1), Big B (1), Little D (1), Owl’s Nest (1)

Comment

Originally posted by GTigers55 View Post

We asked someone when the GA Gates opened and they said 6, but they never open on time and laughed.

Turns out they weren’t wrong. My only thinking is it takes a while to park trailers in the infield and they can’t start until they’re in the pits. They don’t park the rigs in the middle for nationals. But given you do it every week you’d think it’d be done more efficiently.

Racing was pretty good though and I would certainly be open to going back.

However Dubuque is one hell of a hidden gem. They run one Sprint Invaders show a year during their fair and IMCA stuff semi weekly. I highly recommend visiting that track.
          I know they normally start hot lapping at 645 & from what I have seen on dirtvision they are usually pretty close at Knoxville. All the times I have gone out and talk to the locals they always talk about how efficient the people are there. The Nationals I don't think they start hot lapping until 7:45pm and run everything through pretty quick.

They posted Hot Laps were estimated at 7:15pm so not sure if there were issues beyond their control Saturday because that is somewhat unlike them. Although, the amount of 360s & 410s to hot lap & qualify everyone and then to have heats in about 1.5hrs is pretty good. Sounds like it was an off night on the start time, if you haven't gone during Nationals, you are missing out. Next year if we are back to normal we are doing I-55 and then heading to Iowa the rest of the week. 2022 we are doing 360 - 410 Nationals.

Comment

Working...
          X