Group Qualifying

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Group Qualifying

I know this has been a topic with very strong opinions through the years, but is it worth revisiting with weekly 410 tracks to going to this?

I understand WoO and All Stars wanting to stick to single car. Some fans enjoy watching it but lets face it, not very many.It usually drys up a racing surface especially in the Ohio area rather quickly, especially killing a surface on two-day events.

I know Knoxville Championship Cup has some form of group qualifying.
    Attica implemented group qualifying on FAST nights in 2014.
    Port Royal is implementing group time trials on certain events in 2015.
    Williams Grove still handicaps.
    Fremont is still single car this year (I assume?)
    Others?!?!

When are we going to see group qualifying become the standard? As a fan I'm all for it.

Some of these tracks have gotten their names drug through the mud for implementing these procedures but there are more and more tracks going to it, and I don't see it doing anything but improving the racing, depending how the line-ups are drafted from the time trials.

I like group qualifying, but not for every event. For a regular show pill draw works just fine and the luck factor should even out over the course of a season. Group qualifying works well for the Lucas Oil Latemodels and is something the ASCoC and WoO should probably try. Anything is better than single car qualifying.

Comment

I like the group qualifying, if you keep yuor time for the A main if you make it out of your heat.just sayen ..

Comment

Originally posted by racemak View Post
        I like group qualifying, but not for every event. For a regular show pill draw works just fine and the luck factor should even out over the course of a season. Group qualifying works well for the Lucas Oil Latemodels and is something the ASCoC and WoO should probably try. Anything is better than single car qualifying.
        I really liked how the Lucas Oil Late Models did the 3 cars for qualifying. Seemed to go pretty fast and was really organized with how they had the cars set up ahead of time and ready to go once it was their turn.

Really think they could go to 4 cars if they wanted to for tracks like Attica / Fremont and stagger them out, but it is probably less chance of problems having 3 cars on the track and having them really spread out.

Comment

I like the pill draw. Nothing better as a fan than seeing Blaney or Reed or someone like that have to come from mid-pack to win instead of starting on the front row. It levels the playing field for the little guys who don't have the hp output for a good qualifying run but can race with the best of them given the opportunity. (Paging Mr. Smith. Paging Mr. Smith)
          ~~ Connect with me on LinkedIn ~~
          http://www.linkedin.com/in/bryanautullo

Comment

I wish to report any and all comments referring to group qualifying in a positive light as offensive.
            Looking for home security? try www.rssmonitoring.com Looking for eternal security? try www.ohiograce.comt

Comment

I like single car qualifying, it's better for taking photos of individual cars. If you don't want to watch qualifying, come to the booth and buy a photo.

__________________________________________________ _________

http://www.cjgilbertphotography.com/

Comment

Qualifying for big shows, pill draw for local events. If you want to learn how to properly qualify cars, go to Attica, Fremont, or Eldora and take notes

Comment

Since the sport is called racing not qualifying, in my opinion your qualifying time should only set the heat race starting positions. After that you race for your spot. Saw an All Star show at East Bay in the early 90's where Lance Dewease was fast qualifier, started on the pole of his heat and dropped like a rock out of a transfer spot. Came back and won the B from the pole because he got his time back. Started on the pole of the A because he got his time back. It was a total CROCK for all of the guys who worked there rear ends off all night to run well in the RACES. Group qualifying is fine as long as the drivers are OK with it, Pill draw is fine with me also.

Comment

Pretty sure thats how the LM's do things. Qualifying sets the heat races, and then how you finish in your heat sets up where you start in the A or B

Comment

Although their group qualifying was great, the Lucas Oil Latemodels need to change how the heats are set. As fast qualifier, Bloomquist started his heat on the pole. He won the heat and as fastest qualifier he started the feature on the pole. He won the feature. Bloomer is a consumate pro and I'm a fan. He may have won anyway, but thanks to his starting position he never passed a car all nite and was never challenged for the lead. This is not a complaint and I enjoyed the race.

Comment

As a fan, I like group qualifying. It combines hot laps and qualifying thus saving time and for the low budget teams saves them fuel. Fans win, racers win! It's a win-win for everyone.

Comment

I'm with CJGilbert. As a photographer, I like single car qualifying for getting clean single car shots.

Comment

Pill draw sets heats...passing points in heats sets featch. ASCS has it right. I'd keep single car (2 lap) qualifying for big shows though.

Comment

Working...
                            X