Not open wheel racing anymore

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not open wheel racing anymore

Check out the Indycar Grand Prix of St. Pete on TV this afternoon. The 2015 cars have fenders. They are the ugliest cars I have ever seen. Cars with fenders are just plain wrong for the Indy 500. Clearly Indycar has lost its mind. The fenders gotta go or this series is in trouble.

Originally posted by racemak View Post
    Check out the Indycar Grand Prix of St. Pete on TV this afternoon. The 2015 cars have fenders. They are the ugliest cars I have ever seen. Cars with fenders are just plain wrong for the Indy 500. Clearly Indycar has lost its mind. The fenders gotta go or this series is in trouble.
    Actually think they have had something similar for a couple of years. They wanted to protect the cars/drivers especially on the high banked race tracks where they run so close together and bump each other at high speeds when two tires meet it isn't a good thing.

Here is the 2014 version:

Comment

I hope sprint cars never sprout fenders in the name of safety. One thing I like about motorcycling is that it is as dangerous today as it always has been. (I never wear a helmet when I ride and have not since I was 17)

Comment

Originally posted by racemak View Post
        I hope sprint cars never sprout fenders in the name of safety. One thing I like about motorcycling is that it is as dangerous today as it always has been. (I never wear a helmet when I ride and have not since I was 17)
        They tried it before with the silver crown cars especially when they was racing at the bigger tracks, but no idea if they still are or not. Cannot see how they could do it with a sprint car with the banking that they are on along with the rough tracks and being on dirt would just collect in them.

Remember in sprint car racing the bars use to be a lot closer just to protect the mufflers and some teams starting making them as wide as the tires and beefed them up.

Comment

Eroc, yer computer skills and insight always impress me. Silver Crown cars have returned to their regular configuration. The cars in yer pic are from a few years ago when NASCAR had imput in what "Silver Bullet" cars looked like. These cars raced at Richmond, Martinsville, Loudenville and maybe Bristol. They nearly killed Silver Crown.

Comment

I watched most of that garbage yesterday. I really don't think the Indycar series is long for this earth. The Indy 500 will continue in some form or another, but I don't think the series can survive much longer. JMO

Comment

As a child I couldnt wait for the Indy 500 and other indy car races on TV... and my opportunity to watch the 500 live & in person. ( My parents had 4 tickets for 43 years sitting in the Tower Terrace) I waited my turn to go and loved every minute of it back when the news of the day was what foreign driver was entered. For a long time now its been what American Driver is entered? This discussion is older than dirt. It will never be the same because of this basic question; "When was the last time you seen a, in no particular order.....A T- shirt worn at a Fri or Sat night local track around the country with the names; Sage Karam.....Gabby Chaves.....Stefano Coletti....Francesco Dracone....Carlos Huertas....Simona De silvestro... on the shirts!!!???? How about that cool Marco Andretti , Will Power, James Hinchcilff, Juan Pablo.... ,etc T shirts???? I loved the IRL concept and the hopes of seeing more of the Drivers we grew up watching on the local,regional and national level series' I'm old school I loved every thing about seeing Gary Bettenhausen running a Buick V6 balls out for a shot at the pole, Tom Bigelow, Sammy Sessions, Stan Fox, AJ Foyt, Mario Andretti, Kenny Schrader, Billy Boat, Pancho Carter (my Fav.),Johnny Rutherford,Davey Hamilton, George Snider, The Unsers, jesus even Tyce Carlson!!! ok Jack Hewitt,Steve Kinser and JJ Yeley in the same 500!!!

They needed to keep the series 95% ovals... they need more "grass roots" drivers period! just my opinion but Im sure most agree. You cant tell me its changed to the point that todays talent can't run a indy car on a oval... I know, its all about the money but they need all us fans that bought $300 worth of someone's t-shirts that made it to the Indy car series, those good ole fasioned open wheel sprint car fans, the fans INDY CAR FORGOT ABOUT.....

Comment

Originally posted by RJ Willey View Post
                They needed to keep the series 95% ovals... they need more "grass roots" drivers period! just my opinion but Im sure most agree. You cant tell me its changed to the point that todays talent can't run a indy car on a oval... I know, its all about the money but they need all us fans that bought $300 worth of someone's t-shirts that made it to the Indy car series, those good ole fasioned open wheel sprint car fans, the fans INDY CAR FORGOT ABOUT.....
                Agree with you ... The problem is those cars go way to fast on ovals and have to many issues when they do run at places like Texas because they look like a NASCAR race at Talladega or Daytona.

As for more "grass roots" racers ... agree completely, but again all the money is in NASCAR and you see all these owners/drivers/teams picking all these guys up that have talent at such a young age and have them either be a developmental driver, test driver, or have them run the K&N series. NASCAR has way to much money and any driver that has ability that is usually young is getting snatched up pretty quick nowadays and INDY car owners don't have that kind of money to sit on a guy for several years and let them develop so they have to go with the guys that bring a sponsor with them so they can either get a seat in their car or Indy lights cars.

Comment

The Indy 500 used to be the world's best drivers in the world's fastest cars. The CART/IRL split put a end to that and the 500 has never been the same. The whole point of racing is to go faster than is reasonable, safe, and prudent. The pole speeds at Indy are about what Rick Mears ran 30 years ago. With the exception of a few drivers, The talent level in Indycar is abyssimal. Indycar officials say speeds will be higher at Indy this year and a track record is possible. If true, I expect many crashes

Comment

Working...
                  X