2014 Wayne County Speedway Season Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2014 Wayne County Speedway Season Thread

cannot wait for saterday nite at wayne county. whose gunna be the one to beat in sprints this year with palker running with the allstars instead of every week at wayne county. i hope lee jacobs comes back to run weekly. any fast guys coming over to race? the late models should be competitive too. gunna be tough to knock conley off the top but markham has looked real good at attica so far. some of th best racing around for jsut $12.

Thinking about it why wouldn't WCS go for Sunday races instead of Friday thought they did that years ago and had success wouldn't it make more sense instead of trying to pull cars from other tracks...as long as the show was over by there sound cut off I think it would be awesome

Comment

Well they are looking at the best time for their situation for their fans and also their teams that race at their track. I am betting that they believe they will actually increase the late model count because they aren't battling with Attica for late models and they are probably hoping that they can get a few of the Attica sprint cars to Wayne County.

Sunday could draw in a lot of sprint cars and late models possible if they wanted to run three nights a week especially where they are located at by drawing guys from Ohio and western PA, but there would have to be something in it such as a bigger purse (IMO) because who knows if something happens on Friday or Saturday night it is most likely that teams will pass on the Sunday show to work on the car.

Would it be great for the area if there was three nights of racing for the fans and teams/drivers/owners ... Yes it would, but again the teams would have to want to do it as well and it hasn't been done in this area in 20 plus years besides special shows.

The biggest reason for Wayne County to choose Saturday is the fans in their area ... most fans wouldn't mind a Sunday show, but the problem becomes a time issue ... no matter how well your prepared or how well your event goes there will always be people not wanting to risk going on a Sunday night because of the time. If you have any type of weather issue such as rain in the morning or early afternoon most fans will likely not go because they are worried the show might not start on time.

They will likely get just as many fans on Saturday and possible more now than they did last year when they had races on Friday night mostly. Remember as well they had a few Saturday night shows last year and maybe they saw a increase of fans to those events and decided it was best for their track and area to go to Saturday night.

I think the partnership with Attica for the late models will probably help draw some of those cars to those two tracks on a regular basis because we saw last year at Attica when Wayne County wasn't running on the same night there was a few of those guys that traveled to Attica.

Comment

i can remember when milstream ran on sunday nites along with lakeville seem like booth tracks had desent car counts along with fans. used to be a good deal for the guys up north and some of us that came up north

Comment

You also have to think about the fans in this sense. With the way the economy is now there are not a lot of fans out there that are going to pay the cost to get into 3 shows every week.

Comment

Originally posted by Shady23 View Post
            You also have to think about the fans in this sense. With the way the economy is now there are not a lot of fans out there that are going to pay the cost to get into 3 shows every week.
            Well I understand that point to a degree, but wondering how many fans that aren't connected to a team/driver/owner/track really go to both Attica and Fremont each week? That would be a interesting survey to see how things really are, but most fans would just zip past you getting to their seats and not get a real accurate reading. I mean Indiana seems to do pretty well with their non-wing racing with a lot of nights of racing during the week along with PA that seems to do well too. Think it might have to do with the perception more than anything since it hasn't been done in a very long time, but think each area pulls a major of their fan-base not associated with each other as well (IMO).

I think one thing that helps out those tracks (Attica and Fremont) is a little distance between them and some good smaller communities in each area that support those tracks as well. They are all close enough that a fan can go to both or either one and not have a long drive and see some good racing which benefits them, but they are also far enough away that I believe they have their own fans as well at each track.

Lets just say somehow I win the lotto (even though I rarely play) and I am able to buy Millstream, knock the whole place down and start over and have races on Sunday night and let's just say I run 410 sprint cars and late models as my regular show on Sunday nights. Think if done right you could have great car counts and also a good fan-base for Sunday night racing, but it all depends on the product you put on the track along with being able to run a quick program that can get fans in and out so they can get on their way at a decent time. No offense to 360's, 305's, dirt trucks, stocks, mod's, etc... but your not going to get a lot of fans there or for that matter traveling to see those type of shows you need two good groups to draw the fans in along with bringing them back on a regular basis as well.

Millstream would most likely be counting on fans from the Findlay area obviously, but then probably further south to the Lima area as well along with maybe some from the Toledo/Bowling Green area where they can come down I-75 and a short drive. Yea, maybe I would get some repeat customers that venture to Attica and Fremont, but I wouldn't think that would be my main fan-base. I think the biggest battle for fans would be the fans that live in or around Tiffin that normally go to Attica or Fremont now on a regular basis. I know a lot of people in that area and yea granted some go to both tracks, but a lot of them usually picks one track to venture to now. Some prefer one track over the other or some like a certain night, or some will look at the possible show and pick which one they would rather go to for that weekend.

Would be a interesting study to see how many fans actually go to both Attica and Fremont on a regular basis or see how many just go to one track and how often and where they live at.

Comment

The key to a Sunday night show is get in, get done, and get out. That means no 5 or 6 division shows, 3 divisions max. People need to be out of the track at a reasonable hour so they can get to work Monday.

Comment

How many 305's plan on going to WCS to make some money on Saturdays?

Comment

0 is my guess

Comment

Mine too

Comment

It would be nice if WCS would add a 305 race to the schedule maybe one of the 3 Saturdays Fremont is closed in August

Comment

Ya I agree. We'd go if purse was the same as Fremonts

Comment

So would we although our racing plans are still up in the air.

Comment

They did 2 years ago, the first night got rained out. 2nd night they only got 8 cars. 5 attica/fremont cars and 3 from PA. I believe, and correct me if I'm wrong, I think it was for 800 to win. Didn't get any support from it so I doubt they do it again. If guys aren't gonna go for 800 to win, they sure aren't gonna for 500. Yeah be nice to see them do it again, but can't blame them for not doing it. Waynesfield would be another place that should try it.

Comment

I think what hurt him was that first night it only rained for 10 min. & he canceled then had open practice & was kinda hesitant to give back the transponder money. Waynesfield would be awesome!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X