2017 OH/MI 360 (NRA,GLSS, ASCS) News/Results

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2017 OH/MI 360 (NRA,GLSS, ASCS) News/Results

Looks like quite a bit of changes coming in Ohio on the 360 front. Hearing Ron Hammons has purchased the NRA 360's from UNOH. Limaland is removing the 360 class from its weekly program and only having the NRA 3-4 times. The rumor is Lima will fill the other nights with nonwinged sprints (similar to Waynesfield) and other specials. Makes you wonder what is going to happen to 360 racing in the future in Ohio. Without UNOH gotta wonder if other tracks (Montpeiler, Eldora, etc) will step up and take shows. Anyone else heard anything.

360's been kinda stale in Ohio except at Lima. Going non wing an interesting challenge but not sure where else runs them Friday nights. Know gas city did but last knew they closed. 2 close tracks running same division could be very beneficial to both tracks. This should be good to see how plays out. Were 360 counts way down? Wonder what brought this about

Comment

If NRA only has a few races at Limaland, then I guess it will be a traveling series. Will Attica and Fremont have NRA events? Maybe both tracks can have an all sprint car show with 410's, 360's, and 305's. I remember Attica did it about 10 years ago.

Comment

360 car counts have been slowly declining in recent years in this part of the country ( Ohio / Mich ). For several years in Michigan, a typical car count was 17-20. At a higher than normal paying event at Lima this summer there were about 17-18 cars, while FAST 305's drew about 30-31 the same night at Lima. The class is still doing okay out west and at special events ( Knoxville 360 Nationals , 360 Short Track Nationals in Arknsas, etc ), but unfortunately it appears there is a continuing decline around here. If Lima does add the non wing Sprints, it might help create a nice back to back situation between Lima and Waynesfield.

Comment

That should have been done years ago but somehow I feel like Limaland was too big to partner with the Field. The non wing deal is declining as a half dozen or so has gotten hurt & I doubt very much that any of those will return. The Field had 13 cars at the season ender.

Tim Allison and others would either hang it up or would go 410 if it were to go topless. Mad Max is going 410 racing.

Actually all 3 divisions out there were declining & it didn't seem like they were worried about it, seemed quite pleased actually. Mods seemed to be getting healthy counts mid season

Comment

Originally posted by Sprintcarfanatic View Post
            That should have been done years ago but somehow I feel like Limaland was too big to partner with the Field. The non wing deal is declining as a half dozen or so has gotten hurt & I doubt very much that any of those will return. The Field had 13 cars at the season ender.
            I think the nonwinged car count at Waynesfield is a little deceiving as there are more choices for the nonwinged guys to run in OH with the BOSS series. Seems when Waynesfield runs against a BOSS race they struggle for car count as you said the season closer only had 13 cars but they were running against a BOSS race at Atomic that had 34 cars the same night. Most nights Waynesfield doesn't have competition for cars they are getting in the 30 range. Probably the eye opener for Lima was when they had the BOSS series and drew 40 cars for basically the same purse as the NRA.

Comment

The above 2 posts are good ones . There seems to be a decline in non wingers too. I'm guessing it's more due to occasional competition from BOSS. Possibly with 2 tracks in close proximity to one another running them , more new teams may form up, especially since expensive motors are not a necessity on a quarter mile with no downforce ( wings ) . This might take a couple years to take hold, but I think there is a better chance of that happening than new 360 teams forming up. Ken Langhals tried transitioning 410 racing to 360 racing in Ohio 20 years ago and it didn't work. He formed the Sprint Bandits and operated 3 tracks simultaneously. Initially the car counts were good but attendance was largely dismal. Since that unsuccessful attempt, it's been largely Lima and SOD in Michigan.

Comment

Is it true that it costs about the same to race a 360 as it does to race a 410? I heard or read that somewhere.

Comment

after watching the last 360 show at Eldora and seeing 30 360s I think the cars and interest is still there just need to give them a reason to come and run. this car count was also with very few GLSS cars being there.From what I have heard the purse will be raised for weekly shows and a couple nice special events.

Comment

That same show at Eldora also had 50 non wing cars.

Comment

Staggerman, BOSS actually took about 8 to 10 cars from Waynesfield. They averaged around 26 a couple of years ago. Tommy Rhodes Jr, Tim Calicoat, Rob Guy, Dave (can't remember his last name), Mark (drove for Luchini ), Andy Conley & Jim Dues all got hurt the last few years out there. That's 7 cars right there. Mike Dunlap has been going to Michigan to run with a wing on Saturdays. Lee's Hydraulics has evidently closed shop so I suppose they are done.

I can remember when they started 360's, only had around 7 cars. Gus Wasson was 1 of them. Same for the mods.

Comment

Dave Disinger ,Mark Silva,and Kevin Klatte.

Comment

360 racing in Ohio isn't that great for several reasons because of 410 racing in Ohio. Always enjoyed the 360's whenever I attended Eldora and really missed them for the King's Royal weekend.

360 racing usually does well in areas that 410 is either non-existent or isn't very popular. 360 racing really doesn't have a lot of places to race on a Friday or Saturday night besides a few places in Ohio or Michigan. PA has a few "358", but mostly on the eastern side of PA so you can't attract those from the western part of the state to come to Ohio. Indiana and Michigan don't really have many cars either that support the 360 racing.

For 360 racing to gain ground in Ohio or keep alive places like Attica, Fremont, Atomic, Wayne County, etc... need to come together and promote the 360 racing. Not saying they have to have a weekly division, but they need to have special events to promote or even keep 360 racing alive in Ohio. This could be done when 410 racing isn't at the track on certain nights or create a all wing night or all sprint car field night.

If your a 360 team you have to travel to one part of the state in Ohio or be in that area to make it work or travel to Michigan on Saturday night. Just not many options for 360 racing in Ohio right now.

Comment

The reason they get less cars when BOSS races is the payout! Its just the common sense factor, Waynesfield pays $300 for 4th in the non wing A, where if you are a BOSS regular that is what it pays to start the A at a BOSS show. If the pay was better, more cars would come there more often, Hopefully Lima pays AT LEAST the NRA pay out each week because they have to potential to have one of the best weekly non wing shows in this part of the USA with the right pay. Indiana guys showed this year they will pull here for the right $$ and IF which i hope, they pay a points fund like they did to the 360s, holy crap, that would be HUGE for non wing guys!!!!

Comment

plans for the new nra is to secure new tracks with a higher weekly payout. Tracks being talked to include attica, Fremont, Waynesfield, lima, Eldora, millstream, montpilier in., 6 races in mich. and tow money to the top 5 in points to 360 Knoxville nationals.

Comment

Working...
                              X