2017 Mansfield Motor Speedway News/Results

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2017 Mansfield Motor Speedway News/Results

...that Mansfield Motorsports Park (aka Spitzer Motor Speedway) is going back to dirt. The source i heard this from even said it's a rumor. If it is going to dirt only thing I can guess is that they didn't bring in as much money as they expected. But anyways if so I'm glad, dirt is just much better racing in my opinion. Be interesting if they do go back if they stick to primarily Saturday's or switch to another day if they go to dirt. Really hope it is true though, gives me another track around 30 minutes from where I live to go and watch (Attica is about 35). Source in link: https://www.facebook.com/OVDTR/?hc_ref=NEWSFEED
    2018 Race Counter: 7
    Atomic (1), Attica (2), Mansfield (2), Wayne Co. (1), Fremont (1)

I heard a rumor that Stewart bought it.

Comment

Originally posted by RYAN5R View Post
      I heard a rumor that Stewart bought it.
      I was always told that stewart wanted to buy wcs but the previous owners wanted to charge him a fortune for it because they knew he had money and if this is true about Mansfield it would make sense and wouldn't be good for other local tracks. Actually they could easily close 3 tracks on Saturday night if they pushed for it. lets face it fremonts only surviving from the fast series and high car counts in the 305 division. hilltop is only making it because of super latemodels run there over wcs because you don't need a high dollar motor to win. wcs has been making it off there 4 allstar dates and bringing the southern sprints up every other week. if Mansfield opens and runs 410, 305, and super lates with stewarts name and money backing it id say grass will be growing at at least one or two of the mention tracks sooner rather then later. the way cars and teams been disappearing there just isn't enough cars to go around now let alone adding another track.

Comment

Every track that ever closes down or goes up for sale Stewart's name is always attached to it ... to save it or buy it.

As for Mansfield ... if I was them I would run special Sunday shows like they use to in the old days. I remember going there for speedweek shows "back in the day" and always thought it was a great track. Obviously it is a lot different now compared to back then that is for sure.

I remember hearing my dad and grandpa talking about how they use to go to Mansfield for the afternoon shows and then head to Findlay for the night show on Sundays and all the sprint guys would be thrashing around trying to make both shows.

Comment

It's been decades since Mansfield drew any kind of crowds, including when it was dirt as well as pavement ( except for the NASCAR Trucks ), so I don't see this as a threat to any other tracks if it did reopen as a dirt track, including ownership by Stewart. I remember going there for an All Star race in the mid 1990's on a clear and warm Sunday, and the event was cancelled because there were fewer than a hundred souls in the stands just before hot laps were to begin. It sounds nice to have new tracks coming on stream, but so many are struggling now, it's the last thing we need. I felt Findlay wouldn't make it, and from what I'm hearing on the grapevine, they won't be opening in 2017. We need the other tracks mentioned in these posts to survive. This isn't intended to be a negative post. On the contrary, we need to keep what we have and not bring more capacity on board when there is no increase in demand.

Comment

The facility is too big for weekly racing, so special events may be the way to go. An ARCA race could work. Maybe USAC Silver Crown. ISMA filled the grandstand about 10 years ago. USAC sprints filled the grandstand too, but they no longer race on pavement. I attended a Sunday afternoon AVSS race at Mansfield last season. Car count was low, but the speed was awsome. I really hope this place stays pavement and re-opens in 2017 on Sunday afternoons.

Comment

It will never make it as a weekly asphalt track. Asphalt is dead in this area thanks to bad promoting. It's got a chance if someone would make it dirt again and run it right.

Comment

Originally posted by Racing's Vigilante View Post
                I felt Findlay wouldn't make it, and from what I'm hearing on the grapevine, they won't be opening in 2017.
                The Hammer's are good people, but they took on more than they could handle with Findlay. They did a lot of good things with cleaning the place, up, sprucing it up, and having some neat events before the races for everybody that wanted to participate, but they failed (IMO) on the things that mattered the most. Three issues with Findlay ... Track prep, timing, and divisions.

One of the first races they had you had drivers/teams actually leaving the track after hot laps because they couldn't see 5 feet in front of them. Track prep has been a huge issue with Findlay since it returned and the fans don't need to be coated with dirt before the first set of hot laps are over time after time. You cannot just start working on a track the day of the event or the day before and think everything will go smoothly.

Also when you continue to have events start late especially on a Sunday night and have these events push past midnight without weather issues your not only going to lose the drivers/teams, but the fans in the stands as well. Need to start the races on time (7:00 at the latest) and end at a decent hour (10:00 or before) so fans and drivers/teams can get home at a decent hour to get ready for work the next day. It got to be they wasn't even listing a starting time anymore besides saying hot laps at 6:00 with no other information being provided.

Always said that having a Sunday show at Findlay could work and has in the past, but you need to have a good show as well. Nobody else in the area is running so you can tap a good amount of drivers/teams to the area if your providing a good show, good purse, and good conditions.

You need to limit your divisions to probably 2 such as the 410's and Late Models, 410's and 360's, or 410's and 305's. You could probably even mix it up all the time or rotate those other classes/divisions, but you must have the 410's to bring in fans on a consistent basis. The problem (IMO) that hurt them was having the trucks/stocks jammed together and bringing in so many of them that helped drag the events on and on. I believe they used the stocks/trucks to help pay purses because they knew they would get a lot of them to come to Findlay.

Findlay was always a great track and have fond memories of the place as a kid, but it needs major work and a lot of money to turn it around and also a owner to sale it to somebody that actually wants to make it into something and not just rent it out because people aren't going to put a lot of money into it if they don't own it or feel like they can get their money out of the place. It has went downhill ever since Earl sold the place and continues to struggle to stay open today and has more to do with ownership than anything else (IMO).

Comment

Sunday tracks aren't going to thrive in this day and age. A sunday show here or there can be profitable but that's about it. If stewart wanted to take over weekly racing around here at Mansfield I think he could. he already owns the allstars and Eldora. all the big shows are at his track or sanctioned by him in the state other then the doty at attica. you mean to tell me that if tony put a nice racing surface and facility at Mansfield with an excellent weekly purse and point fund it wouldn't be successful? he controls everyone weekly schedule now with allstar dates and the big shows at Eldora and doesn't even have a weekly 410 track over this way.

Comment

Originally posted by racemak View Post
                    ISMA filled the grandstand about 10 years ago.
                    Pretty sure I was at that race. I think it's the last asphalt oval race I went to, ISMA puts on a pretty good show even for being on asphalt. I wanna say it the first winged car I watched, before my family and I started watching dirt racing primarily at Attica.
                    2018 Race Counter: 7
                    Atomic (1), Attica (2), Mansfield (2), Wayne Co. (1), Fremont (1)

Comment

ISMA only had 24 cars at the hymiler and that"s their "big" race at Sandusky. Only about 12 finished

Comment

Originally posted by RYAN5R View Post
                        ISMA only had 24 cars at the hymiler and that"s their "big" race at Sandusky. Only about 12 finished
                        Everyone makes a big deal about that when they could drive south down Rt 4 weekly and see a better show for $15

Comment

Originally posted by Jay72c View Post

Everyone makes a big deal about that when they could drive south down Rt 4 weekly and see a better show for $15
                          Most people go for the party.

Comment

It will be dirt in 2017...Stewart will have a part in it. All Stars/WoO May 27th! Memorial Day Weekend, get your campers ready!!!!

Comment

Mansfield has one of the nicest facilities of any track I've ever been to, dirt or asphalt. If they laid dirt over top of the asphalt that would be pretty cool IMO. I think they could make a run at racing on Friday nights. Nobody except Attica races on Fridays.

In my opinion Hilltop should switch to racing on Friday instead of competing with WCS on Saturday. If they moved to Friday nights and added sprint cars they would likely be a whole lot better off.

Comment

Working...
                              X