No announcement yet.

2017 Mansfield Motor Speedway News/Results

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No way you could have all three putting on weekly sprint car shows.

I just don't see sprint cars venturing to hilltop to race or a large amount of cars on a weekly basis. Would hilltop even pay well enough to have a weekly sprint car division?

I agree with you Mansfield has some of the best facilities around from when they had the NASCAR truck series. I could see Mansfield trying to compete with Attica, but why? If I was Mansfield I would set up either Saturday night and advertise the largest weekly paying shows in Ohio and pay 3,000 to win and 500 to start the feature or have special shows on Sunday.

(IMO) Mansfield and Attica would be fighting over the same sprint cars and not sure that is a good thing for both or even the sport.

Comment

I'm not sure if Mansfield would run sprints if they did go dirt anyways. Especially if they ran Saturdays. If they ran Friday's with a good super late model payout, super stocks and compacts I think they'd be able to do fine with a few specials and sprint races sprinkled through.
      2018 Race Counter: 7
      Atomic (1), Attica (2), Mansfield (2), Wayne Co. (1), Fremont (1)

Comment

Compacts have no reason running on any half mile track IMO. It's not safe

Comment

Mansfield ran compacts this year on Friday's with the asphalt. They could obviously run different support classes I was just throwing out examples.

Comment

It was ran half assed too

Comment

Originally posted by ErocWolverine View Post
              No way you could have all three putting on weekly sprint car shows.

I just don't see sprint cars venturing to hilltop to race or a large amount of cars on a weekly basis. Would hilltop even pay well enough to have a weekly sprint car division?

I agree with you Mansfield has some of the best facilities around from when they had the NASCAR truck series. I could see Mansfield trying to compete with Attica, but why? If I was Mansfield I would set up either Saturday night and advertise the largest weekly paying shows in Ohio and pay 3,000 to win and 500 to start the feature or have special shows on Sunday.

(IMO) Mansfield and Attica would be fighting over the same sprint cars and not sure that is a good thing for both or even the sport.
              They'd have a lot more competition trying to run on Saturdays with Fremont, Wayne County, and Atomic running. Plus we know the Attica and Fremont regulars don't travel from those two tracks on a regular basis. I think they'd have a lot better luck picking up the Wayne County, and Atomic cars on Friday than trying to steal cars from 3 tracks on Saturday.

Same with Hilltop. If they matched Wayne County's purse on Friday nights they would probably pick up all of those cars, plus maybe a few others from the Columbus area that normally stay home on Friday. And they wouldn't be fighting over the same late model cars that they currently do on Saturdays.

Comment

Mr Milliron , owner of Mansfield track, keeps upping his asking price!

Comment

Originally posted by mitchum15 View Post
                  They'd have a lot more competition trying to run on Saturdays with Fremont, Wayne County, and Atomic running. Plus we know the Attica and Fremont regulars don't travel from those two tracks on a regular basis. I think they'd have a lot better luck picking up the Wayne County, and Atomic cars on Friday than trying to steal cars from 3 tracks on Saturday.

Same with Hilltop. If they matched Wayne County's purse on Friday nights they would probably pick up all of those cars, plus maybe a few others from the Columbus area that normally stay home on Friday. And they wouldn't be fighting over the same late model cars that they currently do on Saturdays.
                  Couple of questions ... I haven't been to Mansfield track in a very long time, but was the asphalt over the same track or did they make it different with them going to asphalt and thinking about adding NASCAR? If I remember correctly Mansfield to me reminded me of a bigger Findlay by a little bit? Am I thinking correctly? Would locals from Wayne County or Attica/Fremont even think about running there on a weekly basis with the size of the track when they are use to running the smaller tracks?

As for cars:

I just don't see guys from Atomic area coming to Mansfield on a Friday night for sprint cars.

We hardly see any of the Wayne County guys (in that area) running at Attica on Friday so not sure those same guys would go to Mansfield either?

If they go to a late model division ... that would hurt Attica quite a bit because they have several guys down in that area that comes to Attica on Friday.

Honestly I know everybody wants to be a 410 division or fans want them too, but just not seeing it. I could see 360's with the opportunity with Lima not running now and then maybe running special 410 shows. I just don't know why people don't think a Sunday show would work around here when they seemingly work quite well in PA?

Comment

Sunday is the answer IMO. But I feel Friday is a better alternative to Saturday if they didn't wanna do Sunday given they're 30 minutes away from WCS and about an hour from hilltop. Could even do Sunday afternoon (say 4 or 5 maybe) to try and ensure late nights wouldn't be an issue. Unless somebody buys the track nothings gonna happen anyways, but certainly hoping for the best.

Comment

Sprints at hilltop? have any of you seen a 410 sprint show there? its terrible. tracks too banked and small. they cant get going. if hilltop was smart they would run wingless there on Saturday night and u wouldn't need a top dollar motor to win just like in the super late division you can win with a crate a motor. not to mention theres quite a few safety concerns for the 410 sprints to run on a weekly basis especially the catch fence.

Mansfield is going to put fremont out of business if stewart has a hand in it. that pissing contest must of been worst then it was originally made out to be. I can see Saturday night being the night and they will work with wcs for sprints to keep them in business. might be the beginning of the end of the fast series being fremont and attica. don't forget theres quite a few 305s around the attica Mansfield area. weekly super lates are dying in ohio and western,pa so I don't think it would be smart to run them even if the money was right unless theres a way to create cars/teams in the area. not sure a good payout can revive that division or not. this is sprint car country around here anyway so im sure sprints are in the plans if this does happen at Mansfield.

Comment

In reply to the question about the size and shape of the track when it was dirt vs. pavement, I'm not 100 % positive, but I believe the length and the shape / banking are approximately the same now as when it was a dirt track. I don't see it surviving as a paved track or a dirt track, regardless of who is promoting it. It will eventually join Findlay, McCutcheonville, Bryan, New Bremen, Dayton, Tri County near Cincinnati , and a couple others as a pleasant memory from the past.

Comment

I hope Mansfield stays pavement and has 4 or 5 special events on Sunday afternoons. There are plenty of pavement series that could race at Mansfield. ARCA, USAC Silver Crown, ISMA, Main Event Late Models, ARCA Truck series, Must See Sprints, AVSS sprints, and more. A return of the NASCAR trucks could happen in 2018. With good promotion (something this track has been missing) I think Mansfield could succede on Sunday afternoons.

Comment

Think with Eldora ... Mansfield is probably out of the question if they kept it asphalt and getting a NASCAR truck race. Not to often anymore does NASCAR want to saturate one area with their events anymore because of car counts and what it cost to attend. Just look at the races in the south that seemingly crowds are getting smaller and smaller because fans don't travel as far and they have several tracks to pick from nowadays to attend a race.

Think Mansfield could be a special event track, but again nobody wants to hear that or a Sunday track only. Heck they could run on nights that Attica doesn't run 410's on Friday night which happens quite a few times during the year and then the same thing on Saturday nights with other tracks. Could run 360's there as well to try and grab that market or night of racing for 360's since they don't have that many tracks to race at in or around Ohio.

Eldora (granted they have history and one of the better tracks around), but they have become a special events track over the years especially since Tony took over. Could actually have all different kinds of cars, events, and special shows at Mansfield track. Which means you have to rely on fans that like to see that type of stuff along with being able to bring in a different variety of series ... 410 local racing when you can, 360 racing/305 racing, non-wing (Boss series), USAC sprint/midgets/silver crown, All-Stars, WoO which they have the stands to hold them unlike other tracks in Ohio, WoO Late Models, Lucas Oil Late Models, and maybe even try and get the 360 Lucas Oil national series to Ohio (they came to Michigan last year). Then even have events like tractor pulls, demo derbies, local shows full of stocks, trucks, etc... to fill the schedule out. Maybe even have ARCA come there and let them run on the dirt like they do a couple times a year still which they could try and have it a couple of weeks before the Eldora truck race which might bring some names to the track to get some seat time in a similar heavy vehicle on a similar dirt track.

Granted to do this they need to probably offer a better to win prize along with a bigger purse through the field to attract cars and fans. Then have some Sunday special events as well. Also need a lot of advertising and good management to tell the fans when your racing and what your racing.

Your right though management/ownership has been a major problem there, but you could say that about any struggling track nowadays. Just look at Findlay as a prime example which at one time was one of the better tracks in Ohio with some of the bigger car counts, big shows, big crowds and had a lot of success under Earl. After he sold it the place was never the same and continued to spiral downward and the place hasn't seen any major upgrades since Earl put the concrete walls up however many years ago that was (late 70's-early 80's)????.

Comment

Mansfueld didn't have anyone in the stands hardly for the special events this year from what I've heard. People only filled the stands when they had the Freedom Fest deal where it was free admission

Comment

Hearing lucas oil latemodels at Muskingum July 3rd and at mansfield July 4th

Comment

Working...
                                X