Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2018 Silly Season News Thread (Teams/Drivers/Tracks)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2018 Silly Season News Thread (Teams/Drivers/Tracks)

So as has become well talked about the past week or two Paul McMahan is stepping out of the Destiny Motorsports car and PPM is going to take over in that car. So that will be one contender for rookie of the year next year. Any speculation on anybody else who will bump up to the WoO next year as a rookie? I think someone like Carson Macedo could really contend if he got a ride for WoO but I just don't think there is really anything available to where he could do it. I also wonder if any of the teams will "drop off" of the tour going into next season. I really don't think any will to be honest, Greg has got the Hercules sponsor and is funded decently due to that and has obligations at dealerships and so forth which helps maintain his great relationship. Knipp has started to look like he's coming into something this year; I will point out I saw that team had a -12 engine for sale on hoseheads classifieds that they were running with the WoO which absolutely amazes me they were able to hang as well as they did in some races. The only one I could possibly see leaving is Sides, he seems to still like running the WoO but in an interview I think on winged nation he did seem like he is a bit worn out from all the travel. Like I said I think they'll all stay.

Then there is the all stars which I imagine will have a very different field of cars again next year. I imagine the majority would stay that's still on. Kemenah, Armstrong, Smith, Helms (provided he doesn't choose to focus on work, I could see him leaving), Spithaler, Stambaugh. Esh I'm pretty certain will all come back. Probably the matus's, garvin, and mackison's as well. I don't see Campbell staying but I also didn't think he'd run it this year when he signed up so theres that. I do know that I hope the FL swing are not for points this year though. Didn't affect too much in the end but there are certainly some teams that didn't run ASCoC because of it. If it isn't points in FL, I imagine Lee Jacobs will be back on tour. I'd like to see Macedo and Saldana run ASCoC full time as I feel like they could certainly push for a championship. I'd like to see Cap on tour but I don't think the Lane's have the funds to back running the whole schedule and I'm selfishly okay with seeing him run locally. Another that I would say could be a surprise but possibility is someone like Justin Peck. He's got an ASCoC win already and has been fairly successful for his first year in a 410.

And lastly on a local note I saw Kelsey Ivy is jumping into 410s next year so good luck to her in that endevour! I also will speculate that Peterson may jump into 410 full time next year but that's speculation and me talking out of my ass so I said it myself lol.

EDIT: Left out TJ Michael in ASCoC part, I think he'll stay in ASCoC but after regressing a bit statistically this year I could see him running more local stuff. But, he'll likely stay on I think.
    2018 Race Counter: 7
    Atomic (1), Attica (2), Mansfield (2), Wayne Co. (1), Fremont (1)

Jac Haud wasn't supposed to be the permanent driver in the #17. Not to sure lee Jacobs will be an allstar next year since he likes his freedom to pick and choose and plus not have to travel far. Another reason is guys like cole Duncan don't run with the allstars because they work full time jobs. hard to be in other states on Friday night so many times a year. not to mention the sunday shows.

Comment

Macedo will be in the #17 on the WOO tour next year I'd imagine

Comment

I actually didn't mention that car because I'm not certain the 17 will be on tour next year. If so I could definitely see macedo getting that opportunity.

Comment

Originally posted by RYAN5R View Post
          Macedo will be in the #17 on the WOO tour next year I'd imagine
          I think Jac is keeping that seat warm for Sheldon.
          2018 RACE COUNTER: 13

Volusia - 3, Attica - 3, Atomic - 1, Wayne County - 3, Mansfield - 2, Hilltop - 1

Comment

Originally posted by am0ti View Post

I think Jac is keeping that seat warm for Sheldon.
            That's what I am thinking too

Comment

I know we aren't to Thanksgiving yet, and IMO its too early to be thinking about the holiday season, but I'm going to throw this out here anyway. Assuming Santa had some pull in the dirt track world, what would be on your list for the 2018 season? Mine would include (in no order):
              -Good weather for the 100k to win at Mansfield (and good weather in general)
              -More wings at Waynesfield
              -USAC at Waynesfield (BOSS show there this year was one of the best races of the year)
              -One or two more WoO stops in Ohio, preferably not at Eldora (they've had five-six per year the past few years)
              -FAST series travels some more, with more FAST vs OSCS weekends
              -Sheldon getting an Outlaw win(s)
              -Wayne County cheeseburgers sold at every track
              -Personally, I just want to travel more. I love my Friday nights in Attica and splitting my Saturday's between a few tracks more than anything in the world, but there are more tracks out there that I want to see. I think a weekend trip involving Knoxville, Kokomo, and an undetermined Friday race would be fun, as well as PA Speedweek or the ASCoC central PA long weekend they did this year.
              Overall I'm just hoping for a fun year full of great racing and good memories, but these other things would be nice

EDIT: Millstream would be nice as well!
              Last edited by HordRaceWatcher; November 13th, 2017, 03:22 PM.

Comment

- Millstream sold to someone who will put effort into track and run it for specials.
                - Edgewater gets built and able to race on
                - Someone finally puts together a year to beat Schatz on Outlaws (I'm fine with Schatz winning just be cool to see a close race)
                - A stronger All Star Circuit of Champions touring group next year.
                - That the rookies who were successful on tour last year with ASCoC come back
                - Fremont be successful under the new ownership/promoting situation
                - Attica get a second WoO race
                - Just more OH WoO races in general (Atomic, Mansfield, Lima, Fremont, WCS?) As Hord said preferably not at Eldora.
                - USAC race at Fremont/Waynesfield/Limaland
                - FAST series race at Oakshade whether it be 305 or 410
                - Gio Scelzi go Outlaw or All Star.

Comment

A couple big Non WIng races in Ohio-IN 20k plus or 10k and a lot through the pack>
                  Ohio NON WING speed week. Maybe two fri-sat-suns in spring or fall.
                  No wings at Four Crown Sat night.
                  Just wishin

Comment

GTigers, Just seen a thing on FB about a couple All Star Races at Millstream next year, I have my doubts. They screwed Hamer and Miracle. both who put tons of money into the place.

Comment

Originally posted by Charles Nungester View Post
                      A couple big Non WIng races in Ohio-IN 20k plus or 10k and a lot through the pack>
                      Ohio NON WING speed week. Maybe two fri-sat-suns in spring or fall.
                      Just wishin
                      Adding on to the Four Crowns bit.. I wish it'd actually be truly "4 crowns" again. I don't like that there is an Outlaw race for the crown one day and then the next day have the All Stars run the next day during the 4 crown when they aren't actually getting a "crown" per say. Either run 2 classes both nights so it's 4 crowns or split the 4 classes into two days. I.e. Quali and heats Friday and Mains the next? Who knows.

Comment

Well to say the least I believe Atomic has listened to the fans. McCown has decided to go back to having both late models and 410 sprint cars weekly. Glad to see that he decided to go back to a more normal format although kind of a bummer for the 305 guys as that cuts their races close to in half. Also to note in his release, no more than 4 classes per night. Here is an excerpt from their release on facebook
                        "*********Our main weekly program will consist of 410 Sprints, Late Models, Modifieds and Sport Mods************
                        37 nights of racing
                        Here are the number of races per class:
                        27 -410 Sprints
                        26 -Late Model
                        36 -OTP Industrial Solutions Modifieds
                        30 -Sport Mods
                        8 -305 Sprints
                        12 -Crazy Compacts"

In regards to Sharon Speedway, the people there announced a 12 race "super series" regarding 6 $3k to win 410 Sprint car shows and 6 $2k to win Big Block Modified races. In addition to this, they mentioned that there would be 3 all star races there this season. A total of at least 9 410 races per this release. However, on a negative note this seems to make the rumors that Mercer is closing seem more solidified which is sad to see, but hopefully between PPMS and Sharon you'll have a "weekly" program of sprints in the Western PA region.

Comment

So I wonder what happens to the OSCS then? Do they don't travel as much as last year since Atomic is racing weekly again with the 410's and since so many of the regular Atomic guys were part of the OSCS?

As for Sharon ... think like a lot of tracks they have found out that 410 winged sprint car racing puts butts in the seats if they are willing to put up money for them they will usually get a good car count as well.

Now how does Sharon running these shows effect tracks like Wayne County who run weekly 410/LM shows as well, if at all? Also with possibly more local events near the PA border effect teams that decided to go on the All-Star tour? Not saying these few shows will matter, but it is early for 2018 schedules so will be interesting to see how other tracks add/subtract certain dates.

Comment

As for some of the posters who say they would like to see other tracks in Ohio get WoO races ... start talking to those "other" Ohio tracks and telling them you want to see a WoO race at their track because they are the ones NOT putting up the money or asking for dates. Think for that to happen a lot of these Ohio tracks need to start updating their facilities as well. We have seen the past couple of years in PA where several of their tracks (Port Royal and Susky to mention a couple) are putting a lot of money into their facilities and being rewarded with bigger shows such as All-Star events and WoO shows.

Would be nice if we did see more tracks in Ohio get dates along with being able to see some of the best in sprint car racing a lot more in Ohio like the WoO teams seem to hit a lot of different tracks in California and Pennsylvania.

Wouldn't be as good of show if you take the 410 winged cars away and one reason they was added.

The thing I like about it ... it shows the differences in the speed when you can run the wings and non-wings on the same night/same show.

GTigers, Just seen a thing on FB about a couple All Star Races at Millstream next year, I have my doubts. They screwed Hamer and Miracle. both who put tons of money into the place.
                            How did the All-Stars screw the Hammers?

The Hammers knew going into the deal at Millstream who they had to work with and who the owner of Millstream was ... also they knew going into the deal that Millstream needed a ton of work as well.

The only complaint I really had with their shows at Millstream was starting on time and getting done at a decent time on a Sunday night show. You need to be prompt with those issues when trying to lure in a Sunday crowd knowing they all work the next morning.

Originally posted by GTigers55 View Post
                            Adding on to the Four Crowns bit.. I wish it'd actually be truly "4 crowns" again. I don't like that there is an Outlaw race for the crown one day and then the next day have the All Stars run the next day during the 4 crown when they aren't actually getting a "crown" per say. Either run 2 classes both nights so it's 4 crowns or split the 4 classes into two days. I.e. Quali and heats Friday and Mains the next? Who knows.
                            Actually the all-stars are part of the 4-crown ... the WoO is part of the weekend, but before the 4-crown. Brady Bacon mentions this because he took part in the 4-crown weekend and stated that he was the only guy on Saturday to go after the bonus money that Eldora was putting up still if a driver won all 4 divisions on Saturday being part of the 4-crown.

From Eldora site: Tim Shaffer outraced Shane Stewart into turn one at the drop of the green flag and then held off a late race challenge from Donny Schatz to capture Friday night’s World of Outlaws Craftsman Sprint Car Series BeFour The Crowns Challenge at Eldora Speedway.

If you want the old 4-crown format you need to add the modified again like what Hewitt did and won.

The WoO and All-Stars help put butts in the seats that is why they were added to the show.

Comment

II never said the All Stars screwed the Hamers, I meant the owner of the track. Hamer wanted to run it again last year and for some reason no deal was struck. Better to let is sit than run? Makes no sense to me.

Comment

Working...
                              X