2018 All-Stars (ASCoC) News/Results

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Politics at play.
    How dare Mansfield try to one up Eldora by having bigger races not sanctioned. The E controls what happens with these sanctions, otherwise another track would be having a WoO show. Mansfield has the facility and ability to become the top track in Ohio so is therefore a threat.
    Really hope the tracks that have been left out of the loop are successful.
    I was thinking didnt all the races out of state prove to be bad for the former all star owners?
    Seemed like there was quite a following of fans and drivers when they did more Ohio shows and kept Ohio tracks healthy.

Comment

Yeah between both the All Star and Outlaw schedules I really think the everyday weekly sprint tracks got left hanging for the most part. Attica got all of the usual races and I'm happy about that. Wayne County had the now usual 2-3 all star shows which is good. But surprised to see Atomic only with 2 after having multi weekend shows the past few years and that nobody else got an Outlaw show.

Excluding Eldora. Who we all asked for more outlaw shows at tracks not named Eldora. Immediately see more Outlaw races at Eldora.
      2018 Race Counter: 13
      Atomic (1), Attica (4), Mansfield (2), Wayne Co. (1), Fremont (2), Montpelier (1), Eldora (1), Waynesfield (1)

Comment

Originally posted by mdr4774 View Post
        Millstream speedway hosts the ascoc speedweek for 10k. Should be fun.
        Think Helms will and can do a great job at Millstream. Good to see the $10,000 to win is back and wish more of the speedweek shows would offer more than the normal show top prize/purse.

The biggest issue of course with Millstream is the owners of the property, but for the promoter it is starting on time and being able to finish at a decent hour.

Really like the 2 weekends where they have Attica (Fri), Wayne County (Sat) and Millstream (Sun). Missed those type of events which they use to happen all the time with the All-Stars in this area, but usually with 1 different track (Fremont on Sat). Glad to see it back that way which should help bring in a lot of fans and possibly some invaders for those 3 big races.

Originally posted by mudinmybeer View Post
        yea I wont be at millstream and the allstars not going to Mansfield really sucks for the fans since its right in the middle of all the speedweek tracks. makes no sense but I don't think Mansfield needs the allstars or vice versa. Both will thrive this year.
        Politics on both sides.

Let's hope Mansfield has worked out all their issues before these bigger events happen in 2018. I understand the owner wants to be "big-time" and all, but thought one solid year of getting all the bugs worked out or at least part of 2018 started would have helped. Jumping right in to the big weekend at the end of April seems risky for a big-time event. Let's hope weather along with track fixing a lot of their mistakes happen in 2018 and beyond.

Some of the better shows at Mansfield were indeed when the All-Stars were there and ran the shows.

Comment

Originally posted by RRacer70 View Post
          Politics at play.
          How dare Mansfield try to one up Eldora by having bigger races not sanctioned. The E controls what happens with these sanctions, otherwise another track would be having a WoO show. Mansfield has the facility and ability to become the top track in Ohio so is therefore a threat.
          Really hope the tracks that have been left out of the loop are successful.
          I was thinking didnt all the races out of state prove to be bad for the former all star owners?
          Seemed like there was quite a following of fans and drivers when they did more Ohio shows and kept Ohio tracks healthy.
          You seem to forget that Attica has a WoO race and does quite well with it and Eldora.

Politics are in play and works both ways ... fans usually pick one side and don't open their eyes to the other side.

As for the out of state races ... yep that was a issue especially the "plains" trip which made no sense, but also at that time they wasn't offering guaranteed point fund along with getting tow money as well with contingency prizes under Webb. Also back then they usually didn't have at least 2 races or possibly 3 races on the same weekend in those areas as well which the All-Stars have done when they decided to do more traveling the past couple of years. Can't fault them for spreading their wings to some pretty good facilities along with some good race fans and teams/drivers (like Knoxville and PA).

Yes, would like to have seen them run at Mansfield, but guess it wasn't meant to be.

As for the Ohio tracks ... goes both ways as well which they could of added more dates or even 2-day shows, but didn't as well. When a certain track tried to form a group to push out the All-Star speedweek and form their own version of it that created a problem and seems to follow that person wherever he goes and helps out. In a ideal world all would get along and make sprint car racing better, but everybody is trying to show up the other and be the best themselves. Hopefully there is enough fans to go around and enough teams/drivers to satisfy everybody.

Originally posted by GTigers55 View Post
          Yeah between both the All Star and Outlaw schedules I really think the everyday weekly sprint tracks got left hanging for the most part. Attica got all of the usual races and I'm happy about that. Wayne County had the now usual 2-3 all star shows which is good. But surprised to see Atomic only with 2 after having multi weekend shows the past few years and that nobody else got an Outlaw show.

Excluding Eldora. Who we all asked for more outlaw shows at tracks not named Eldora. Immediately see more Outlaw races at Eldora.
          Think the weekly 410 winged sprint car racing has been hurt by all these local series such as FAST and OSCS. They have went against what was the purpose of when they started at least for FAST. It was created to keep guys local, bring up purses, create interest, and give the fans a small group to follow at Attica and Fremont. The problem became when they started traveling more and the drivers list went down with the purse staying the same as a normal show.

Atomic has some big late model shows that probably took some dates along with them trying to get more local 410 racing back at that track so I believe OSCS will be there a lot more too. Think the OSCS took a hit when they decided to do all that traveling for their teams.

Comment

I honestly don't see the OSCS existing next year... I've mentioned before I think only Danny Smith and Reeser followed the full tour with guys like Ryan Meyers, Josh Davis, and Bryan Nuckles running the vast majority.

The FAST is a good little series in my opinion. I don't really mind the minor amount of travel they do. One far race at Atomic, one decent travel race in Mercer (defunct so that won't be happening) then Waynesfield and Mansfield which are close by. My ideal schedule for FAST IMO would be once at Waynesfield and Lima for a weekend, Mansfield and Wayne County for a swing (I know that won't happen bc WCS is a competing track so to speak) then MAYBE a Sharon/Lernerville swing. Other than that just run 16 races at Fremont & Attica. If there is a backing to increase the point fund for these shows to say a standard of $3500 or $4000 to win I think the series itself could become more of an Ohio regional series than the All Stars. Many of our local teams that run once or twice in the series and come back local don't like having to travel as much as they do with ASCoC and maybe the FAST could become the actual regional series in Northern OH? If Farmer can get financial backing to increase the race purse and the overall point fund it would be really interesting in my opinion. Especially with the crop of all stars that raced last year...
            Atomic (1), Attica (4), Mansfield (2), Wayne Co. (1), Fremont (2), Montpelier (1), Eldora (1), Waynesfield (1)

Comment

Really would like to see Mansfield and Wayne county work together.
              Attica has the in on the politics angle and Fremont used to have it.
              Wayne and Mansfield have a lot in similarities with the racing. Lots of surprise wins and racing with the races not being won from the front roll.
              Promoters/ owners working on programs to go forward with the facilities.
              Those two together working on shows in tandem would be profitable I believe. They are close to each for travel distance.
              I would also like to see some of the wcs staff at Mansfield as that would be a huge improvement.
              But I think that wont happen as they are competing for Saturday night and it will be interesting to see the Fremont angle on Saturday.
              Speedweek at Mansfield would have been a nice addition.

Comment

Yes the all star staff made the show much smoother. The Mansfield pit staff needs gone and new team put in place. Would like to see some of the wcs staff there.
                Was disappointed with the fast show as the fast staff did not live up to trained organized workers.
                Actually fast seemed unable to handle a show of that magnitude which was disappointing and did not much benefit Mansfield.
                I think Mansfield would gain ground not to have fast back.

Comment

The allstar shows were only smoother because they didn't have 140 cars that needed bump started with 3 different divisions. Its the track configuration not whos running the pits.

Comment

Originally posted by mudinmybeer View Post
                    The allstar shows were only smoother because they didn't have 140 cars that needed bump started with 3 different divisions. Its the track configuration not whos running the pits.
                    It had nothing to do with car count. The Allstars knew what to do and how to line cars up. FAST didn’t have a clue wtf they were trying to do at just about every show they had outside Attica and Fremont. Mansfield staff isn’t much better.

Comment

I honestly don't see the OSCS existing next year... I've mentioned before I think only Danny Smith and Reeser followed the full tour with guys like Ryan Meyers, Josh Davis, and Bryan Nuckles running the vast majority.

The FAST is a good little series in my opinion. I don't really mind the minor amount of travel they do. One far race at Atomic, one decent travel race in Mercer (defunct so that won't be happening) then Waynesfield and Mansfield which are close by. My ideal schedule for FAST IMO would be once at Waynesfield and Lima for a weekend, Mansfield and Wayne County for a swing (I know that won't happen bc WCS is a competing track so to speak) then MAYBE a Sharon/Lernerville swing. Other than that just run 16 races at Fremont & Attica. If there is a backing to increase the point fund for these shows to say a standard of $3500 or $4000 to win I think the series itself could become more of an Ohio regional series than the All Stars. Many of our local teams that run once or twice in the series and come back local don't like having to travel as much as they do with ASCoC and maybe the FAST could become the actual regional series in Northern OH? If Farmer can get financial backing to increase the race purse and the overall point fund it would be really interesting in my opinion. Especially with the crop of all stars that raced last year...
                      With the allstars traveling more and more you would think the door is being left open for a regional traveling series. a lot of the allstars from last year couldn't make the a-main when they go to tracks with strong competition. so basically is the tow money worth staying on tour? and if good teams want to travel far and often why not just go outlaw? kemenah and Shaffer don't have nothing to prove by being an allstar. ryan smith could be a low tier outlaw with some backing also. I think last year was a start to a new trend with lee Jacobs, philo, and Shaffer not being apart of any series and running a true outlaw schedule of coming to the shows they wanted to and when they wanted to.

Comment

Im watching from the stands and all I seen was the fourwheelers pushing the cars out on the track and all the way around to the opening in turn 1 and 2. I guess the allstar officials could have better people but it still wasn't noticeably smoother to me other then the fact the last allstar show had no support divisions and still a long delay. I think even if the allstar officials were at the great lake nationals it still wouldn't of been over much more sooner then it was because of the track configuration.

Comment

Im with Mud in Beer. That pushing all the cars around the track caused 7-10 minute delays between every racea at Mansfield. push em out from the track entrance three wide and fire em all from there, Tell the Quads to get to the infield or out the back as quick as possible. That show could have been done at midnight, Not three am

Comment

I find it funny how I manage to get the blame for Mansfield not having an All Star event. I will also be to blame for Wayne County only having 3 events this year and Atomic with just one event in 2018. Over the last couple of years I have been accused of trying to start a FAST Speedweek this is not true however it has made me think what that could look like compared the current one.

Sanction fee last known to me $9500 per night so lets say mother nature is kind and they get 7 events of the 9 in that is 66,500 then lets add some manufacturer funds 15,750 that is 82,250 without a single sponsor one or the weeks percentage of the annual commitments of the series. That number would be roughly 12% of the gross for the season. So I think it is safe to assume that we could get to 100K pretty easy for the week with all that included. So now where does it go....... Tow Money lets be generous giving to the 15 followers of the series and give them 250 per night so 3750 remember 7 nights 26,250 leaving 73,750 yet to spend. Let's now pay that points fund as of last season $3000 that takes us to 70,750. Advertising is done by the tracks and the remaining cost from an event falls onto the tracks. I know that the staff helps run the event and so forth just keep in mind that most all the tracks on the schedule race weekly and have staff for that. So 70,750 isn't bad to cover the staff for a weeks work.

So let's now look at what a Farmer program would look like and you can tell me what I am stupid enough to have missed. Lets reduce the sanction fee by 4000 to 5500 so we get the same 7 nights mother nature provided that get us to 38,500 and we will also try for the same manufacturer funds of 15,750. I feel that we could raise 10,500 in sponsors let's face it I am not a super star who can offer a name on my many time outlaw championship team nor can I bring funds from NASCAR to my series. So this gives us working capitol of 64,750 so what can we do with this. Lets pay the same 250 tow money but since we have such a good following for the week let's pay the top 20 in Speedweek points not series points that is 35,000 that leaves us with 29,750. Here is where it gets good people points fund for the week is 26,125 that pays 5000 to the winner and 500 to the 24th car for the week not a bad way to go I think. So we do have a couple bucks left over at 3625 that money would cover travel and rooms for the staff to assist as needed. The 4000 that the tracks saved could do a few things one reduce ticket cost by a couple bucks per person or they could do some entertaining things for fans or they could do a bit of both.

Since I have been blamed for this many times that is how I would operate Ohio Sprint Speedweek. I have always raced, owned cars, and promoted events for the love of the sport never for the money. I have been lucky enough to win as a driver also as a car owner with many great drivers I have also won several promoter awards nominated from my peers. I have nothing to prove in this sport and nothing to gain but more work. I have held off and not said a word while my name has been drug through the mud for something that is not facts. There are many great people in this sport who give all they have to compete and to attend so tell me why we can't give some back to them

Farmer
                            Last edited by Rich Farmer; November 18th, 2017, 06:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich Farmer View Post
                              I find it funny how I manage to get the blame for Mansfield not having an All Star event. I will also be to blame for Wayne County only having 3 events this year and Atomic with just one event in 2018. Over the last couple of years I have been accused of trying to start a FAST Speedweek this is not true however it has made me think what that could look like compared the current one.

Sanction fee last known to me $9500 per night so lets say mother nature is kind and they get 7 events of the 9 in that is 66,500 then lets add some manufacturer funds 15,750 that is 82,250 without a single sponsor one or the weeks percentage of the annual commitments of the series. That number would be roughly 12% of the gross for the season. So I think it is safe to assume that we could get to 100K pretty easy for the week with all that included. So now where does it go....... Tow Money lets be generous giving to the 15 followers of the series and give them 250 per night so 3750 remember 7 nights 26,250 leaving 73,750 yet to spend. Let's now pay that points fund as of last season $3000 that takes us to 70,750. Advertising is done by the tracks and the remaining cost from an event falls onto the tracks. I know that the staff helps run the event and so forth just keep in mind that most all the tracks on the schedule race weekly and have staff for that. So 70,750 isn't bad to cover the staff for a weeks work.

So let's now look at what a Farmer program would look like and you can tell me what I am stupid enough to have missed. Lets reduce the sanction fee by 4000 to 5500 so we get the same 7 nights mother nature provided that get us to 38,500 and we will also try for the same manufacturer funds of 15,750. I feel that we could raise 10,500 in sponsors let's face it I am not a super star who can offer a name on my many time outlaw championship team nor can I bring funds from NASCAR to my series. So this gives us working capitol of 64,750 so what can we do with this. Lets pay the same 250 tow money but since we have such a good following for the week let's pay the top 20 in Speedweek points not series points that is 35,000 that leaves us with 29,750. Here is where it gets good people points fund for the week is 26,125 that pays 5000 to the winner and 500 to the 24th car for the week not a bad way to go I think. So we do have a couple bucks left over at 3625 that money would cover travel and rooms for the staff to assist as needed. The 4000 that the tracks saved could do a few things one reduce ticket cost by a couple bucks per person or they could do some entertaining things for fans or they could do a bit of both.

Since I have been blamed for this many times that is how I would operate Ohio Sprint Speedweek. I have always raced, owned cars, and promoted events for the love of the sport never for the money. I have been lucky enough to win as a driver also as a car owner with many great drivers I have also won several promoter awards nominated from my peers. I have nothing to prove in this sport and nothing to gain but more work. I have held off and not said a word while my name has been drug through the mud for something that is not facts. There are many great people in this sport who give all they have to compete and to attend so tell me why we can't give some back to them

Farmer
                              Personally I'd love you to expand the FAST series so Ohio has a true regional series again since the ASCoC apparently have little interest in racing regionally anymore. Thanks for what you do promoting our sport!

Comment

Personally I'd love you to expand the FAST series so Ohio has a true regional series again since the ASCoC apparently have little interest in racing regionally anymore. Thanks for what you do promoting our sport!
                                The numbers for following the FAST series has went down since they start traveling a lot more so not sure they want to keep doing that because it might turn into what happened to the OSCS series which was basically nothing more than a couple of guys that ran the entire series and actually hurt the sprint car programs at their home tracks as well.

What is kind of funny is not that long ago people complained about the All-Stars being in Ohio to much and watering the product of the "All-Stars" down by not making it "special event" or when they had an off night when Webb owned them you could see most of them over at Attica for the 14.00 cost (back then which is now 15) and then the following week you would basically see the same show for 20.00 (22.00 now) and people complained about that as well not understanding the extra money going to the purse and such.

You still can see the All-Stars almost every couple of weeks some place in Ohio for most of the year. After the speedweek shows they aren't around as much, but still can see most of them at the bigger races such as the WoO race at Attica for the Doty race, then you have the 3 WoO shows which is part of the Kings Royal. After that point they go on their little break from Ohio (which probably isn't a bad thing because all the big races in a short period with speedweek, Doty, and King Royal) with their Knoxville, NY, and PA stops which also include most of the series going to the Knoxville Nationals as well and in some cases for both the 360 and 410 events. Then they come back for the final stretch in the early and also late September back in Ohio to finish up the season. Also each time the WoO's are in Ohio (8 races) the All-Stars usually show up as well and are usually off those weekends because of it.

OH ... 20 races.
                                PA ... 14 races which covers eastern and western part of the state.
                                NY ... 7 races.
                                FL ... 5 races.
                                IN ... 2 races.
                                WI ... 2 races ... IRA races.
                                IA ... 2 races.
                                IL ... 1 race ... Nascar weekend.
                                MN ... 1 race.

Total ... 54 races.

Think for the most part it is about right the amount of shows in Ohio vs. other places. Yea, would like to see them hit a few more tracks such as Mansfield and maybe hit another couple of tracks throughout the year more frequently, but they try and keep the same amount of dates each year and more and more places want to see this series and can't blame them for trying to make it bigger, but also want to see it stay the same as well. Don't really like the 2 weekends in NY and think 1 weekend would be enough, but understand it. Also don't really like the Knoxville weekend, but again understand it because of being Knoxville along with the trip to Jackson which is paying a WoO type of purse for the event. Seeing more and more PA tracks on the schedule with both western and eastern part of the state I believe to keep those western PA guys happy and trying to keep them on the tour along with trying to entice some of the eastern PA guys to either run with the All-Stars a lot more or maybe even convince them to try the full tour like Smith has done the last couple of years.

Comment

Working...
                                X