2018 Great Lakes Super Sprint (GLSS) News/Results

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2018 Great Lakes Super Sprint (GLSS) News/Results

So, last year they ran quite a few cosanctioned NRA races down in OH and when they initially released their schedule for 2018 they ran all but 2 races in MI (Plymouth speedway in Indiana for both). Recently they released that they will be racing at Beckley Motorsports Park in West Virginia and I've gotta say I just plain out do not understand that. Firstly, their are no other 360's to join in the race down there. Secondly, from Detroit, MI it is a SEVEN HOUR drive. No offense but even if I was following for points there is no way I would be traveling seven hours. Thirdly, the OVSCA hosted an event at Beckley WV on a one off event as Lizard Creek rained out before travellng occured. There were 8 cars. If southern OH drivers aren't willing to drive there why in the world would people so far away do it? I don't get it. That is all. Hope they get in a good show but I highly doubt many will make the trip.
    2018 Race Counter: 17
    Atomic (1), Attica (5), Mansfield (3), Wayne Co. (1), Fremont (2), Montpelier (1), Eldora (1), Waynesfield (1), Kokomo (1), Limaland (1)

I went to run a Friday nite show @ beckley many years ago, maybe late 80's?? It was $4K to win. It rained out and the promotor decided to run the show the following day. It was not announced in print and this was pre internet. My logic then was that the only ones who knew about the change were those that were there Friday and he'd end up cancelling Saturday due to lack of cars/fans. I left to go run atomic. ....he ended up running Saturday with 4 cars and far as I know he paid the purse. Seems I remember Danny smith won it.

Comment

This is one of those things that everybody want to make their little series bigger than what he should be, needs to be, etc... everybody wants to be the next WoO, All-Stars, etc... we have seen it in Ohio way to much the past couple of years where series went from two local tracks to benefit the local racers to trying to run all over Ohio on "off weekends" and parts of PA. We have seen a series that was based at one track and then tried to explore northern Ohio to then go out of business or later bought by somebody else.

GT ... as you stated it makes no sense to make these guys drive that far for a one day show, but on their web-site they are making it a fun, family activity that all the teams, drivers, and family wanted to do by going to a new event every year, but couldn't pick say Lima who runs 360's or a couple of other tracks in Ohio that would be less than half of that drive? The only one that might make money that weekend might be the winner because of what their purse is along with the amount just to start the race will be less than traveling to this event one-way.

Good luck to them ... let's hope they don't have about 3-4 trailer issues on the way down there or that might be a good excuse to tell the series when they cross the Michigan border that we have trailer issues and won't be able to make it this year.

Comment

Well that's a neat Idea to sort of have a vacation to a new event each year. They ran both Lima, Waynesfield, Attica, and maybe Fremont last year so if they wanted a new track really couldn't do that. Think it would be neat for them to co-sanction a race with NRA at Baer Field's dirt track. Not too awful far from both groups and would be a good race on a short track I'd think.
        Atomic (1), Attica (5), Mansfield (3), Wayne Co. (1), Fremont (2), Montpelier (1), Eldora (1), Waynesfield (1), Kokomo (1), Limaland (1)

Comment

Originally posted by GTigers55 View Post
          Well that's a neat Idea to sort of have a vacation to a new event each year. They ran both Lima, Waynesfield, Attica, and maybe Fremont last year so if they wanted a new track really couldn't do that. Think it would be neat for them to co-sanction a race with NRA at Baer Field's dirt track. Not too awful far from both groups and would be a good race on a short track I'd think.
          I could maybe understand it if it was a 2-day show some place, but not one day. Sounds like they are using the "new track" just to make it look good ... like they couldn't find another track within 250 miles so they had to go to one that is roughly 430 miles from Detroit and 7 hours away and likely for a lot of these Michigan followers a lot longer than that distance since most live on the western side of the state and a little further north some of them.

Comment

Although I'm skeptical that many teams from Michigan will go I do believe GLSS will do everything they can to make it work. I feel like GLsS is a pretty tight nit group. My guess would be he talked to some of the teams. In the past I believe he offers insentives for trips. Whether it be money or a free place to stay. It sounded from the press release they aren't trying to expand traveling but do 1 trip a year.

Comment

Originally posted by MIRacing View Post
              Although I'm skeptical that many teams from Michigan will go I do believe GLSS will do everything they can to make it work. I feel like GLsS is a pretty tight nit group. My guess would be he talked to some of the teams. In the past I believe he offers insentives for trips. Whether it be money or a free place to stay. It sounded from the press release they aren't trying to expand traveling but do 1 trip a year.
              Good points ... just seems like a long way to go to race a 360 for one night and 300 to start the feature.

Going from their home base of Merrill, Michigan ... it is 513 miles... by car is roughly 8 hours, 53 minutes ... again seems like a long trip for a 360 race that is a 1 day event. That means most teams have to leave Friday night and stay some place or get up very early Saturday morning and try and make it there by 4:00pm when most tracks open the pit gates.

Understand they can only go where they are wanted as well so maybe some tracks turned them down and this might be way they had to go this far, but seems unlikely.

Does WV or southern Ohio even have many 360's in the area? Realize they might be hoping or thinking a lot of the NRA guys will go down there since they aren't racing that weekend or at Lima, but wonder if they will especially coming off a 5 day races possibly in a row for their own speedweek shows going from June 29th through July 3rd?

Comment

Originally posted by ErocWolverine View Post

Good points ... just seems like a long way to go to race a 360 for one night and 300 to start the feature.

Going from their home base of Merrill, Michigan ... it is 513 miles... by car is roughly 8 hours, 53 minutes ... again seems like a long trip for a 360 race that is a 1 day event. That means most teams have to leave Friday night and stay some place or get up very early Saturday morning and try and make it there by 4:00pm when most tracks open the pit gates.

Understand they can only go where they are wanted as well so maybe some tracks turned them down and this might be way they had to go this far, but seems unlikely.

Does WV or southern Ohio even have many 360's in the area? Realize they might be hoping or thinking a lot of the NRA guys will go down there since they aren't racing that weekend or at Lima, but wonder if they will especially coming off a 5 day races possibly in a row for their own speedweek shows going from June 29th through July 3rd?
                Racing is expensive. Also remember Michigan is a very large state

Comment

Originally posted by MIRacing View Post
                  Without the OH guys coming to run GLSS last year the car counts would have been 10-15 cars. Going to interesting this year when there is no NRA support and they are running against each other. Could be some slim fields for GLSS.

Comment

Reminds me of the Auto Value Super Sprints (AVSS) back in the day when they took a summer weekend off and had a camping/canoe trip to Northern Michigan. Many of the teams and drivers were from Indiana also. Maybe same concept for GLSS and figured, hey....why not bring the cars along and have some additional fun. Also, the NRA Sprints are not scheduled that weekend either. I am not sure how many of the Southern Ohio sprint teams have 360's but I know Danny Smith and believe several others do down that way so who knows. Great to get out to a new track and wish them all the luck for success with the show. The GLaSS is half full in my eyes!

Comment

we ran there last year we sat and watch them work on a water truck for 4 hrs. [4 oclock till 8 oclock ] when we got there around 4 oclock track was not graded or any water put on it the track had rocks all over it some as big as 57 limestone. I loaded and left before we fired motors. We had 4 cars finish feature everyone else had flats some team went through 3 or 4 tires during the evening look like you took a gun to them they were chunked out. they wanted us to come back this year our guys said no. Good luck to GLSS it will be a money losing trip for there guys

Comment

2018 Schedule (LINK): 2018 GLSS Schedule (2018)

Purse (LINK): INCREASED PURSE FOR 2018

INCREASED PURSE FOR 2018

Merrill, MI – This season, teams running with Great Lakes Super Sprints will see another increase in the nightly payout. Raising the nightly purse a $1,000, the new purse will be $12,100.

First, second and third will be $2,000, $1,500 & $1,000 respectively. Twentieth place pays $300 and if you are a member of GLSS and complete the B-Main and miss the cut, you go home with $200. Teams that Qualify, but have problems and cannot make it out of the heats will receive $150 in tow money.

Great Lakes Super Sprints was formed in September 2015 with a goal of keeping 360 (cu in) winged sprint car racing strong in the Great Lakes Region. One of the ways to achieve that goal was to support the 360 teams and push for better payouts.

The response has been noticeable amongst the members of Great Lakes Super Sprints. More teams have been updating their cars and improving their engines. This has been reflected in the over all quality of teams running with GLSS. This has been a win-win situation for our partner tracks and most of all for sprint car fans.

When Barry Marlow started GLSS, he was told by a 50 year sprint car veteran that there are a lot of important details to take care of running a series and treating people right is one of them, but he would always end his conversation with a reminder for Marlow..."Barry, It's all about the money!" We joke about that little phrase, and know that it is important to do what you say you're going to do, be fair with everyone, and treat people with respect, but at the end of the day that little phrase rings true...It is all about the money! So Marlow feels it's important to give back in other areas like a solid points fund and parts from our vendors.

At the current time, the minimum points fund payout for 2018 is set at $28,000 paying out the top twelve places. New for 2018 members will be a Sprint Car Parts Draft to be held the day of the Great Lakes Super Sprints banquet, December 1, 2018 at Michigan International Speedway in the Michigan Room.

The Sprint Car Parts Draft will be something that any member that runs 80% of the specified races is eligible for. All the parts and equipment that has been provided by our supporting sponsors will be listed and given away in the draft. The lowest qualifying team will have first pick in the draft, and so on. We are hoping we are able to have 5-6 rounds in the draft. With the support of our vendors, we should be able to add an additional $1,000-$2,000 worth of products put directly in our members hands at the end of the season.

Driver Memberships this year will be $100.00 and will come with $100,000.00 of supplemental medical insurance and a $10,000 AD&D policy. Crew and family members that would like to have this insurance as well and be a member of GLSS can join for $50.00 per year.

Any friends and fans that would like to be a member of Great Lakes Super Sprints can join (with no insurance) for $25.00 per year. All members will receive the new 2018 GLSS t-shirts.

Membership forms and a pdf of the 2018 purse can be found on our website at www.greatlakessupersprints.com . Click on the Rules/Forms button and go down to 2018 Memberships.

Many thanks to our series supporters, their support is what keeps us running!Engler Tool & Machine, Topp Performance Race Parts, Campbell Performance, Kistler Engines, Outerwears Performance Products, Ultra-Shield Race Products, Wings Unlimited, CR Racing, Saldana Race Products, Bell Helmets, Dominator Race Products, Keizer Wheels, Schoenfeld Headers, Simpson Race Products, BMRS and Hoosier Midwest.

2018 Regular Payout
                        1st $2,000.00
                        2nd 1,500.00
                        3rd 1,000.00
                        4th 850.00
                        5th 750.00
                        6th 650.00
                        7th 550.00
                        8th 500.00
                        9th 450.00
                        10th 400.00
                        11th 390.00
                        12th 380.00
                        13th 370.00
                        14th 360.00
                        15th 350.00
                        16th 340.00
                        17th 330.00
                        18th 320.00
                        19th 310.00
                        20th 300.00

B-Main Only $200.00*
                        Take Green Flag Tow $150.00
                        *GLSS Members

Comment

That's not too awful of a payout for 360s. Best of luck to our friends up north

Comment

Working...
                          X