2018 Fremont Speedway News/Results

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Food For Thought View Post
    To clarify my previous post, which appears to have been misunderstood, I’ll word it differently : Football ( especially high school and college ) have been around longer than racing, but for some reason, everyone seems to claim it is football that causes tracks to close early. Tracks DID NOT used to close in early to mid September many years ago, even though football was played then too. I agree that some small town schools might draw away fans from races, but not on a large, across the board scale. With global warming here to stay ( according to scientists, not me ) I would like to race until mid October, especially since I spend the big bucks buying and sponsoring race cars. 🌤🌤
    Good Point on Sponsorships. It is hard enough to get sponsors, you would think that shorter seasons could effect those efforts even more?
    2018 Race Counter - Total- 24 + (Rainouts-11) Atomic-2, Attica-5, Eldora-8, Fremont-1, Limaland-2, Mansfield- 2, Waynesfield-3, Wayne County-1

Comment

Originally posted by Food For Thought View Post
      I would like to race until mid October, especially since I spend the big bucks buying and sponsoring race cars. 🌤🌤
      What team? (teams)

Comment

Economy is good right now. Sponsors are not as hard to come by as you would think. As an owner/driver you have to be able to sell what you are doing and how it can help a business or just be personable and a guy with money may want to help you out.

Comment

Originally posted by racemak View Post
          What team? (teams)
          Not divulging name, just as all posters here use aliases. But, what I posted is true.

Comment

Some more food for thought? Why don't Ohio tracks Race during the day in the early Spring and late Fall like PA.? Just a question?
            2018 Race Counter - Total- 24 + (Rainouts-11) Atomic-2, Attica-5, Eldora-8, Fremont-1, Limaland-2, Mansfield- 2, Waynesfield-3, Wayne County-1

Comment

Originally posted by Racechasser View Post
              Some more food for thought? Why don't Ohio tracks Race during the day in the early Spring and late Fall like PA.? Just a question?
              Agreed. In early Spring, there is still abundant moisture in the ground, and with daytime temps in the high 50’s to maybe 60’s, a track surface will hold up. Added bonus to an afternoon event is it won’t be as cold as a nighttime race in early Spring.

Comment

Agree ... Especially if a track is running Friday night they could easily run Sunday afternoon for the first month or so and switch back when the temperatures get to be warmer and Saturday could just make them earlier in the day shows. Most times you could probably get away with it till mid-April or even a little later and might be better for the crowds early on. Then first races in May start going back to normal times or adjust accordingly especially with so many on social media, Radio, TV, etc... a lot easier to get the word out on times/races nowadays then before.

"Back in the day" before I was born or when I was just a little kid I remember my dad and grandfather telling stories on Sunday's going to Mansfield at noon I believe and then Findlay was at 6 or something like that and they did the double quite a bit back in the 60's and early-mid 70's.

PA ... next week ... They have Lincoln early at 2 and then Port Royal at 5 (410 sprints $4,000 to win, late models $2,200 to win) and seems that some of the teams are going to try for the double.

Comment

Listen I love racing guys. But here's my reasoning why not to. So Lincoln had a car count of 20 in the one division they ran for $4k to win. The event lasted an hour and 40 minutes past the scheduled start time so not a whole lot of concessions being sold. I can't imagine that they get enough of a fan count to make up for the back gate having few competitors and make enough off of concessions/memoribilia to even come close to breaking even. And that's with above and beyond the most diehard sprint car racing fans around you. I will say that the past few years the weather has been mostly good through later in October but that's been a trend the past few years. I also know it takes some hard cajoling to get my dad to go to the Attica opener as 2 years ago we went and froze pretty bad, my dad went to the car after the 410 feature.

The problem is, yes your diehard fans will go to these events which will draw a smaller car count. But the cold and value will likely scare off many casual fans. It's a business decision not to race then. The March-October season is when there is enough fans and good weather to go around which is why the majority of Ohio tracks race within that time frame. Any further either way and your car counts and fan counts start to really drop off. For instance, the last 410 race in Ohio last year that was a Local show, Atomic only drew 14 410s. With the presence of the All stars the final two races at Mansfield and Eldora on October 13th-14th drew a count of 39 and 36 respectively.
                  2018 Race Counter: 18
                  Atomic (1), Attica (5), Mansfield (3), Wayne Co. (2), Fremont (2), Montpelier (1), Eldora (1), Waynesfield (1), Kokomo (1), Limaland (1)

Comment

Originally posted by GTigers55 View Post
                    Listen I love racing guys. But here's my reasoning why not to. So Lincoln had a car count of 20 in the one division they ran for $4k to win. The event lasted an hour and 40 minutes past the scheduled start time so not a whole lot of concessions being sold. I can't imagine that they get enough of a fan count to make up for the back gate having few competitors and make enough off of concessions/memoribilia to even come close to breaking even. And that's with above and beyond the most diehard sprint car racing fans around you. I will say that the past few years the weather has been mostly good through later in October but that's been a trend the past few years. I also know it takes some hard cajoling to get my dad to go to the Attica opener as 2 years ago we went and froze pretty bad, my dad went to the car after the 410 feature.

The problem is, yes your diehard fans will go to these events which will draw a smaller car count. But the cold and value will likely scare off many casual fans. It's a business decision not to race then. The March-October season is when there is enough fans and good weather to go around which is why the majority of Ohio tracks race within that time frame. Any further either way and your car counts and fan counts start to really drop off. For instance, the last 410 race in Ohio last year that was a Local show, Atomic only drew 14 410s. With the presence of the All stars the final two races at Mansfield and Eldora on October 13th-14th drew a count of 39 and 36 respectively.
                    Not sure where you are getting your information. I have been to March afternoon events in Pa., and the crowds are above normal, due to pent up demand over the long winter. And, most people would rather sit in the sunlight with temps in the 50’s or 60’s, rather than in the mid to high 30’s at night in March like your father and many others have encountered. People don’t pay by the hour, so a show which lasts 90-120 minutes is irrelevant. As for car counts, they drop off around here after July 4, and fields of 20-22 Sprints is not rare, so why is it bad in March ? As a side note to that, car counts in Pa. in March are not always 20. We need a little more variation and experimentation around Ohio, not same old same old, year end and year out. You young guys are the future of the sport, not old guys like me, so start thinking outside the box. 😀 ( disclaimer - just an opinion based on past experience ).

Comment

Originally posted by GTigers55 View Post

Think what I mean or others might mean is some places starting earlier than they currently do ... not Lincoln like where they start first of March, but closer to the first of April.

Attica/Atomic ... think they start just about the right time to be honest ... Attica 3/23 Atomic 3/16.

*** Would like to see Attica have a practice on the Saturday or Sunday before the first race just to let teams get the bugs worked out and possibly new teams, new drivers a chance to hit the track for some laps before it starts to count.

Fremont/Wayne County ... start a month earlier than April 14 ... such as March 24 or 31st in the afternoon.

Mansfield ... have a couple or more regular shows say on a Sunday afternoon before their big event to work out some bugs. I personally would have liked to seen this happen before the big event there.

*** Local shows and regular payouts you don't need a huge crowd to break even as well ... something to remember as well. That might also tempt some All-Stars to break out their cars as well to get ready for the season since they have 2 months off from their Florida start of the season for some and others a chance that didn't make the trip to Florida a chance to break down the car and work some bugs out before the points start.

Comment

I completely understand your points. I've never been to PA (even in the state at all) so I just wouldn't expect the crowds to be there this early. If I'm wrong apologizing for talking out of my ass. I try to avoid doing that most of the time on here . Anyways, I definitely get there are some tracks that could probably be starting earlier and/or running later in the year than the currently do (Limaland, looking at you). Atomic has seemed to consistently have the most racing weekends the past few years. Don't know if back in the K-C Raceway days if that was the same or not.
                        Atomic (1), Attica (5), Mansfield (3), Wayne Co. (2), Fremont (2), Montpelier (1), Eldora (1), Waynesfield (1), Kokomo (1), Limaland (1)

Comment

Atomic is in the southern part of the state too where its just a bit warmer which helps also. Knowing your fan base is why these tracks are scheduling the way they are. Its a crap shoot with weather in ohio and if the weather is good in the beginning of the year there is profit to be made and if not your going to lose. A lot of fans are itching to get out to a race in march so its better to have a show early rather then late in the season. Attica prolly has the most consistent fan base of weekly tracks and when weathers cold the fans don't show. At the end of the year you need a show worth going to and potentially sitting in the cold. Problem is were spoiled by fall and if you want fans to show up then its going to take a show most likely with sanctioning fees and tracks aren't willing to gamble. nobody really cares to come see $2500 to win sprints or latemodels in October with a few support divisions and that about what tracks would be willing to roll the dice on.

Comment

Business is about taking risks. Without risks there is no forward progress, just the same old same old. You will not reap the benefits of actual success unless you take risks, unless of course someone is considering skipping out at some point? Probably why not many partnerships last a long time. Just sayin

Comment

Fremont changed up their engine rules for the late model class this year. Basically allowing all variant forms of limited late models to race in the same division. Good idea to try to increase the car count of the class before having to scrap it altogether.

ENGINE:

There are two engine package options starting in 2018.

Option 1.

OPEN engines meaning any combo or size allowed. Must be carbureted and made of iron or steel. The intake manifold is allowed to be aluminum. Open engines will be required to weigh 2500 pounds

Option 2.

GM crate engines either the 602 or the 604 engine is allowed. Engines must have seals or will be considered open engines. Crate powered cars will have weight rule of 2300 pounds. Note 604 is not allowed as open engine with the Aluminum heads if modified from seals

Comment

Business is about taking risks. Without risks there is no forward progress, just the same old same old. You will not reap the benefits of actual success unless you take risks, unless of course someone is considering skipping out at some point? Probably why not many partnerships last a long time. Just sayin
                                Agree 100%. Many people won’t take risks in business because there is less chance of guaranteed ( and positive ) results. Thus, we often have same old, same old, same old. Here’s a real tongue twister : “ If you always do what you’ve always done, you’ll always get what you’ve always got “.

Comment

Working...
                                X