2018 Millstream Speedway News/Results

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2018 Millstream Speedway News/Results

National Speed Sport News reported on Tuesday, 3-13-19, that all All Star events at Millstream have been cancelled. This had been a rumor floating around for a while , but an announcement has now been made. The events have been redistributed to other tracks.

Kind of surprised that Mansfield wasn’t offered an event, or perhaps offered but declined an event. This Millstream development should draw lots of posts to fill in a slow week.😴

Comment

Oops - Sorry. A discussion about this was already started elsewhere.

Comment

Too bad for the track.
        Used to enjoy the races there even though it was a very long drive.
        Guess the rumors we hear of current owners hard to work with a reality.
        No one wants to invest time or money into a place you dont own.
        Sorry to hear that 2 speedweek shows are at Atomic. I would have liked to see one at Mansfield.
        I like the concept a different track for each night.

Comment

Did millstream always have a wall all the way around? I first went there in the late 80's and I just can't remember.

Comment

Originally posted by Motorhead View Post
            Did millstream always have a wall all the way around? I first went there in the late 80's and I just can't remember.
            No. It wasn’t until Earl Baltes purchased the track that it was enlarged and walls added. Prior to that, it was semi banked, and only a guardrail along the front stretch. Interestingly, when the race cars first arrived at the track, the rigs would pass in front of the grandstands on an access road which led to the pits, which were off turn 4.

Comment

Originally posted by Muddy99 View Post

No. It wasn’t until Earl Baltes purchased the track that it was enlarged and walls added. Prior to that, it was semi banked, and only a guardrail along the front stretch. Interestingly, when the race cars first arrived at the track, the rigs would pass in front of the grandstands on an access road which led to the pits, which were off turn 4.
              About what year was this?

Comment

Added comment : I may be off on this, but I think Earl bought it and changed everything in the late 1970’s. All the seating was on the front straight. No hills off turns one and two. In the 1960’s, you paid to get in the grandstands at drive up ticket booths. Some people would hide people in their car trunks. And, the restroom was a large outhouse near the back of the parking lot. But the good news was : The racing was excellent. They used to have specials wherein drivers from northeast Ohio and western Pa. would show up.

Comment

I have fond memories of attending USAC Sprint Car races on a Sunday afternoon at tracks like New Bremen or Dayton, or Winchester, Indiana, then after those ended around 5 pm, hurry up and leave to get to Millstream for Sunday night Super Modified / Super Sprint races. 2 different types of races at two tracks on one day. So, even if the place never reopens, there are lots of positive memories for many people who went in it’s heyday. In it’s modern incarnation, there was Bobby Allen coming from 24th and last to win an Ohio Speedweek event. I’ve never seen a last to first in a Speedweek race since then. 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

Comment

If I remember correctly it also had a figure 8 track in the middle. They also pushed the next heat over turn 4 to the infield.

Don't recall for sure but I think some of what Muddy is talking about was like the Speedweek deal and was called 5 Star or something like that. It ran at like Findlay, Fremont, Eldora, Limaland & 1 other track.

Comment

The Bobby Allen Speedweek win was in the late 1980’s or early 1990’s, and was an actual All Star event, back when Bert Emick was the president of the All Stars. I don’t remember there ever being a figure 8 track. I attended every year it ran from 1961 to the present, but only rarely in recent years of the turmoil.

Comment

Maybe it was the layout in the middle because I don't remember them ever racing on it.

Spent many a Sunday night back in the late 80's up there & working 2nd shift helped a lot !!!!

Sorry about the Speedweek thing, was going back a little earlier than Bert when Pitzer, Allen, Paxton, The Mays, Steve Smith & some others came over.

Comment

I went to a show, I think it was 1988 All Stars, Gordon and Sarah Fisher were running it it. they also had LM's and I was the only fan in the stands rooting for Danny Eichler who was battling someone for the lead most of the race. I remember it having a Restroom then..

didn't go again until two years ago and seen the two BOSS races second was the Halloween deal.. Both good shows. I thought Hamers did great.

Didn't Dean Miracle throw money at this place like crazy and got screwed?

Comment

Unfortunately Chuck everybody that has leased the place has thrown money at it and got screwed. Dean tried as well and couldn't make a go of it because of the owners. I can't understand what they are thinking when they lease the track to a promoter and then won't let them do their job. I guess the ownership has more money that they really don't need to lease it. I would find it hard to believe that anyone would attempt to make a go of this place without owning it. In my mind this was the last opportunity to make this place a viable racing option. The death knoll has sounded in my opinion.

Comment

Yes dean was 1st of the Rowe era. If you've ever spoken with the owner you'd quickly learn he has way different ideas then what we got going. He'd love to make everything revert back 30yrs ago in technology, speed, etc to "create" better cheaper racing and his ideas while some good maybe some are totally out there. Then add in fact that sticks nose where doesn't belong and there goes another promoter and another season. As much as enjoyed millstream over the many years it's never been a special favorite so I say, oh well, let it die with the goof ball owner hands wrapped around it.

there was more events then just all stars scheduled. LM speed week show and another LM show believe were scheduled
                              Last edited by Jim11h; March 14th, 2018, 06:02 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X