No announcement yet.

The Future of Sprint Car Racing in NWO?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Future of Sprint Car Racing in NWO?

Putting aside what has been said, who said it, and who tweeted what....my question is simple. What is the future for sprint car racing in northwest Ohio? I grew up going to tracks like Attica, Fremont, Eldora, and Limaland. I've always looked forward for the day to come where I can take my own family to a race at Fremont Speedway and be apart of the "turn4freaks". But I get on here and read the bashing of some people who have done nothing but try to improve the race scene in our area. Some names including Rich Farmer, Jon Bores, Shane Helms, Guy Webb and other track/series owners who have put their own time and money into only wanting to see a good show put on for all. Everyone is so caught up waiting for the ASCoC to collapse and the Renegades to become successful. But have we forgotten what the All Stars used to be? Bud Miller started this series and Bert Emick took over both with one goal in mind, and that was to bring quality racing to tracks all over the country. 35 years of history all going away and you people are supporting that? How can you call yourselves race fans by supporting the fall of what once we all looked forward going to watch? The sad part is I no longer fear for the success of either series. I fear for the success of tracks staying open. Fremont and Attica which we all support every year, hasn't stayed loyal to the All Stars to benefit themselves, they've stayed to attempt to save a series that we all grew up watching. The name itself, ALL STAR CIRCUIT OF CHAMPIONS is what sells tickets. To the general fan, the people who come out every week look at a schedule and when they see that name, they know its going to be a good show. At this point it is no longer who we support. Because regardless of which series survives, if our local tracks don't, it won't matter who you support. Atomic Speedway is 3 HOURS from my house. Attica and Fremont are both on average a half hour. And I'm guessing most of you are in the same area I am. So which track would you rather travel to on a Friday or Saturday night, every weekend? The endless bashing of either series has got to stop, and we all need look at what will benefit this sport, a sport in which we all love. Let the drivers and teams decide where they want to go and come February/March, the decision will be made for itself. But regardless of who becomes victorious, I will be supporting my local tracks, the ones who without them, none of this is even possible.

I think the future is looking good, unemployment's down, gas and oil are down, stock markets way up. Winter expenses look to be lower this year. People will have money to blow on entertainment. I've seen a lot of differences in opinions on the two series, but in the end they'll work hard to be better than the other. Competition always makes the product better. Chili bowl entry's are 300+ life in racing is good

Comment

At the expense of sticking my nose where it doesn't belong, let me take my race track promoter and series director hats off for a moment and tell you where I as a sprint car fan from far away from Ohio think things could work... The following assumes that people, politics and personalities weren't a roadblock... so this is a 'perfect world' proposal.

My personal opinion is that the days of a traditional series covering a circle more than 4-5 hours in average distance is a thing of the past, unless your name is the World of Outlaws - which is unique and is our version of the Ringling Brother's Circus. Coast-to-coast can work when the big circus only stops in your area once or twice a year, as long as it is big enough to keep the animals fed. WoO accomplishes this. Duplicating it would be difficult and a waste of time unless it were for purely ego sake.

For a regional series, the bigger you draw your circle, the higher the cost of the show because you have to pay your talent (drivers) to get there. If your circle gets too big you are limiting yourself to only those who do it for a living which makes keeping them fed and healthy even more expensive - so more bigger shows. I also believe that within any given radius of your circle there's a limited number of big shows the area can handle. You couldn't run 60 shows for $30,000 within a 2 hour radius during a year. The FAST radius is relatively small, so a lower purse works. We try to keep our MOWA circle small for the same reason. The core problem here is that we have two groups wanting to draw a medium-sized circle and between them plop 60 or more expensive races in that circle. Leaders of both the All Stars and Renegades know that won't work and that, more than any other reason is why there is a fight. As long as that is the core plan for both series, they can't co-exist.

Ohio has a need for a medium-sized series. That has been proven. Whether that is the All Stars or Renegades, the market is there. Ohio has also proven that it has room for a small-circle series like FAST.

I would like to see the All Star name be bigger than the circle business. Those of us West of Indianapolis have more or less lost interest in the All Stars because they aren't "our guys" and we never see them anyway. I'd like every series across America not named World of Outlaws to recognize the All Star name as the 2nd tier sprint car series in America. I would then like for it to be enjoyed by all of America and not just Ohio.

The All Star "Circuit" would go back to being a form of individual regions. Basically certain existing races in each region would receive the additional designation as All Star events. So perhaps 10 races in Pennsylvania count as All Star races. 10 in Ohio. 10 in Illinois/Wisconsin, 10 in the NSL territory, 10 in California etc. All of those regional races accumulate points toward qualifying for the National Championship.

You basically race your way into the All Star Championship Series through your success at these regional All Star races. If you are a regional big name driver, you petty much have to be at the All Star shows in your region - so the talent will still be there. The All Star Championship Series is kind of an NCAA bracket or knockout (new chase type of format) where you have to race good in one round to advance to the next. So maybe there are 3 Regional Championship races that feed into a final National Championship. Instead of awarding season point money, the Championship is a race with a very healthy purse so that simply by making it you have earned the equivalent of a 10th place traditional points fund. Plus you are also still able to race for points in your regional series (IRA/MOWA/NSL/Renegades etc). The Championship would pay $50k to win. You might even be able to show up at the Championship and try to race your way in if you didn't get an automatic birth though your Regional. This would be a huge show with the whole sprint car world watching - guaranteed.

Under this scenario, I as a fan in Illinois care about what's happening at a race in Ohio or Pennsylvania or even California because it's affecting a series that my local guy is also participating in. It also keeps the All Star name relevant and the Championship meaningful.

I don't claim to have the details figured out.... but there's a hole here that the All Star name could fill and that is in uniting the various regional series and tracks across the country into a National Championship structure. My guy racing in Illinois is racing close to home earning his way into a Nationally recognized championship. It would take a totally different way of thinking and perhaps a different set of personalities to work. But as a guy who runs a regional series that actually gets along with and cooperates with its neighboring series... believe it or not... series can actually work together in peace.

Just my thoughts. I'll go back to minding the store here in Illinois.
      Last edited by kdobson; December 30th, 2014, 04:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BGRacer View Post
        Putting aside what has been said, who said it, and who tweeted what....my question is simple. What is the future for sprint car racing in northwest Ohio? I grew up going to tracks like Attica, Fremont, Eldora, and Limaland. I've always looked forward for the day to come where I can take my own family to a race at Fremont Speedway and be apart of the "turn4freaks". But I get on here and read the bashing of some people who have done nothing but try to improve the race scene in our area. Some names including Rich Farmer, Jon Bores, Shane Helms, Guy Webb and other track/series owners who have put their own time and money into only wanting to see a good show put on for all. Everyone is so caught up waiting for the ASCoC to collapse and the Renegades to become successful. But have we forgotten what the All Stars used to be? Bud Miller started this series and Bert Emick took over both with one goal in mind, and that was to bring quality racing to tracks all over the country. 35 years of history all going away and you people are supporting that? How can you call yourselves race fans by supporting the fall of what once we all looked forward going to watch? The sad part is I no longer fear for the success of either series. I fear for the success of tracks staying open. Fremont and Attica which we all support every year, hasn't stayed loyal to the All Stars to benefit themselves, they've stayed to attempt to save a series that we all grew up watching. The name itself, ALL STAR CIRCUIT OF CHAMPIONS is what sells tickets. To the general fan, the people who come out every week look at a schedule and when they see that name, they know its going to be a good show. At this point it is no longer who we support. Because regardless of which series survives, if our local tracks don't, it won't matter who you support. Atomic Speedway is 3 HOURS from my house. Attica and Fremont are both on average a half hour. And I'm guessing most of you are in the same area I am. So which track would you rather travel to on a Friday or Saturday night, every weekend? The endless bashing of either series has got to stop, and we all need look at what will benefit this sport, a sport in which we all love. Let the drivers and teams decide where they want to go and come February/March, the decision will be made for itself. But regardless of who becomes victorious, I will be supporting my local tracks, the ones who without them, none of this is even possible.
        the race tracks that are taking sides are hurting themselves, not the fans. They should have scheduled both series to begin with....it's not the fans fault

Comment

With all due respect Jason Curlis...from reading your replies on other post, it seems like you have personal issues with some promoters, not any series or track.

Comment

Nobody wants the ALLSTARS to die or go away just the person that has ran it in ground since the day he took over.

Comment

With all due respect Jason Curlis...from reading your replies on other post, it seems like you have personal issues with some promoters, not any series or track.
              Only the ones that have had blinders on, no need for them to take sides

Comment

i will be at Attica and Fremont to watch Sprint car races. If its the Allstars or Renegades or FAST it depends on my personal schedule whether i will be there or not. Not who's trying to ruin who or who said what to who. Simple as that.

Comment

I will go to any track Atomic, Fremont, Attica, Eldora, Waynesfield, Limaland, etc no matter what. All Star shows however, sorry I probably will have to think about saving my money. I live in Columbus and most tracks are around 2 hours away. Sorry, when you start bashing drivers that have helped build the series over the years, I have a problem with that. Over the past couple of years, I'd much rather go to a FAST show at Attica or Fremont rather than an All Star show because honestly, the same drivers are usually there. To me, it seems that all of this is surrounded by 1 person, Guy Webb. I understand that he invested his own money and time and I'm just a little fan with too many student loans to even think about investing money other than an admission fee. Lord knows if I ever get money I would probably invest it into the sport. I truly believe though, he wants to make the sport better however, there is a difference between wanting too and actually doing. For almost every single driver who is currently running your series to say its not worth running with you and I'd much rather take a chance on a new series that no one knows about is saying something. The renegades may not have started on the most friendly of terms but, I think after the recent comments of Mr. Webb has had show us that maybe these people were just tired of dealing with him. From all I have read from credible people such as Swamp, and even Rich who has come on here and voiced his opinion without having too in a professional manner, they have all said that they have had some sort of unpleasant experience with Guy Webb and have had disagreements. You cannot treat the people who are working with you and for you like the drivers forever and expect them to keep coming back. The drivers maybe independent contractors but they are still the talent that Guy Webb is counting on for putting on a show at a track. The drivers, tracks, and owners all invest money into the sport and I think they do not want to be treated in a negative manner and after the comments recently published I do not blame them. To call a guy like Danny Smith and Tim Shaffer B-C level and trying to hang on is ridiculous. I honestly would love to see him sale the name to someone else now while he can still possibly get some money out of the name, give someone else a chance and bring all sides together and solve the mess. I will still be supporting all tracks and go to local weekly shows, however I am not going to pay extra money for the All Stars.

Comment

This by far is THE most educated and sincere post I have read since this mess started!!

Comment

BG Racer you are very correct in your statements and we thank you for supporting local tracks. I can say that our team at Fremont Speedway is working very hard to put together an exciting schedule for 2015. We are also working to grow the FAST Series again in 2015. We are focused on providing the local racer the best weekly and points pay we can afford all while keeping the ticket prices the same for 2015 and keeping our food affordable for the family. During this entire process the focus is and will be to protect Fremont Speedway and the racers and fans who race with us.

Comment

~~Let the drivers and teams decide where they want to go and come February/March, the decision will be made for itself. But regardless of who becomes victorious, I will be supporting my local tracks.
                        I agree 100% with what you said and have said so before on here. If we don't support our local tracks they won't be here for us or our kids to enjoy. It's not about being a "nut hugger". It is about local pride and support. Supporting your local track is like supporting your small town store. If you don't support it the store won't be there when you need it most

. I've always looked forward for the day to come where I can take my own family to a race at Fremont Speedway and be apart of the "turn4freaks".
                        Awesome!! The 4th turn is where some of the best local support fans sit! Bring on the family and I am sure Jon will find a bright yellow JLH shirt to fit your kids!

Comment

Can you honestly say that Fremont speedway had no idea how Guy Webb conducted business with the driver and owners that raced at your speedway and others in the local area. All these drivers were regulars at Fremont speedway. You say you were out there to protect the racers, them why was Fremont so set against the new series after all they were mostly all local racers that raced at Fremont.

Comment

Originally posted by Sky hawk View Post
                            Can you honestly say that Fremont speedway had no idea how Guy Webb conducted business with the driver and owners that raced at your speedway and others in the local area. All these drivers were regulars at Fremont speedway. You say you were out there to protect the racers, them why was Fremont so set against the new series after all they were mostly all local racers that raced at Fremont.
                            Maybe, just maybe there are behind the scene things that we arent aware of as to why the local tracks are conducting business the way they have chosen. I doubt ALL of the new series laundry and business doings are out for the entire racing world to see.

Comment

How well do u know Webb? I do know him now and from years before he owned the stars. Hell Danny Smith drove for him years ago. Were u at wayne county in the rain out? That is when the drivers and owner said enough is enough. Ask driver and owners in Pa about Webb and the crap he pulled out there. He can not be trusted, his word means nothing anymore. Bullcrap walks and money talks, way to much bullcrap and not enough money.

Comment

Working...
                              X