Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do We Need a Traveling Series to Support Our Local Tracks?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Do We Need a Traveling Series to Support Our Local Tracks?

    I have been going to the races for 59 years. Living only 20 minutes away from Fremont has been a luxury to say the least from a race fan's perspective. I see many posters say they won't support Fremont Speedway anymore because of their support of the All-Stars. Granted, Guy Webb's remarks were reprehensible to say the least. Since I am a fan and not a driver or owner I am not on the "inside" to know if all the allegations about misdoings are true or not.
    The fact is that I don't need to be a fan of any series to support my local track. I have several t-shirts that I buy when I have followed the All-Star Speedweek program. The fact is that I terribly missed the races for a few years before Jimmy Ford resurrected the races at Fremont Speedway. I will continue to go there every Saturday and watch the races no matter what series is there. I WANT TO WATCH RACES! I don't need a certain series to be there as a reason to go to Fremont Speedway on Saturday night. I DO NEED FREMONT SPEEDWAY TO BE OPEN SO I CAN GO THERE TO WATCH THE RACES ON SATURDAY NIGHTS!

  • #2
    Attica seems to think so

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by 4thturnfreaks View Post
      I have been going to the races for 59 years. Living only 20 minutes away from Fremont has been a luxury to say the least from a race fan's perspective. I see many posters say they won't support Fremont Speedway anymore because of their support of the All-Stars. Granted, Guy Webb's remarks were reprehensible to say the least. Since I am a fan and not a driver or owner I am not on the "inside" to know if all the allegations about misdoings are true or not.
      The fact is that I don't need to be a fan of any series to support my local track. I have several t-shirts that I buy when I have followed the All-Star Speedweek program. The fact is that I terribly missed the races for a few years before Jimmy Ford resurrected the races at Fremont Speedway. I will continue to go there every Saturday and watch the races no matter what series is there. I WANT TO WATCH RACES! I don't need a certain series to be there as a reason to go to Fremont Speedway on Saturday night. I DO NEED FREMONT SPEEDWAY TO BE OPEN SO I CAN GO THERE TO WATCH THE RACES ON SATURDAY NIGHTS!
      i think a traveling series is good, it is good to support your local track as u have. but when a series promoter or a track owner has no respect for the guys that support them is when you have a problem. as far as fremont i have seen some good races there and have raced there in the past. but as a racer who wants to race for a series that gives you post dated checks. as mr liski would say is THATS JUST BUISNESS to me that is bull''''''t . a good buisness man would have money put aside to cover any problems. i under stand you need fremont open but mr farmer has put himself in the corner on this deal with the allstar & renegade battle. as he should have sit and waited for the out come. as for fremont i will not take my race car there but now that attica has booked renegade i will be there to try and support them on fridays. one way to look at it you can alway go to millstream they are doing a lot of work up there should be nice this year. AND YES WE NEED TRAVELING SERIES

      Comment


      • #4
        Well the problem is ... a lot of these local drivers/teams are becoming part of a traveling series now.

        Also with Webb's comments ... many drivers/owners/fans/tracks have took a stand in not attending these events, even tracks, or scheduling them.

        I believe that was the turning point and "final straw" for many of these people. Especially when many drivers/teams came out saying they wouldn't attend any All-Star races.

        A place like Attica which has had many All-Star races every year means they would lose out on a lot of guys that normally drive there even when the series isn't. How many times have we seen many of these traveling series guys at Attica during the beginning of the year when the series aren't running. A lot of very good shows are at Attica especially early on in the season because of the drivers/teams that show up.

        Comment


        • #5
          " I DO NEED FREMONT SPEEDWAY TO BE OPEN SO I CAN GO THERE TO WATCH THE RACES ON SATURDAY NIGHTS" You do realize Fremont is not the only track in the country that runs on Saturday nights right?

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by DirtRacefan View Post
            " I DO NEED FREMONT SPEEDWAY TO BE OPEN SO I CAN GO THERE TO WATCH THE RACES ON SATURDAY NIGHTS" You do realize Fremont is not the only track in the country that runs on Saturday nights right?
            Not speaking for him, but I am betting he either lives in Fremont or around Fremont and probably enjoys 410 racing. So for him that might mean he has to travel a long distance to see 410 racing on a regular basis. That is something a lot of fans will likely not do is travel along ways on a regular basis.

            Also I think what he is saying as well is ... support the local tracks ... not a series. Without the local tracks there isn't any series.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by ErocWolverine View Post
              Also I think what he is saying as well is ... support the local tracks ... not a series. Without the local tracks there isn't any series.
              This is what I keep trying to tell everyone. I hope this becomes more evident as we go along. This whole thing is a huge disappointing mess.

              Think about it. Does Central PA care what the hell is going on between the All Stars and Renegades? Hell no. Know why? Their local racing program is stronger than anywhere else in the country and the fans pack the stands EVERY weekend...not just when the traveling circus comes to town. Lots to be learned from the Central PA model!
              ~~ Connect with me on LinkedIn ~~
              http://www.linkedin.com/in/bryanautullo

              Comment


              • #8
                I doubt very seriously that with gas prices as low as they are if I do any travelling with Waynesfield running Saturday nights. Might be a little like Montpelier sprinkled in there when the Field is not running. Would like to get to the Burg again, it's been along time & I have not been there since it's reconfiguration.

                Unless Limaland gets car counts up or adds another division it's just not worth it for me. Mainly special shows (co-sanctioned) or when they run another division like trucks.

                My Question is will these guys still frequent the local shows when not running Renegades. I believe they will unless the grapes are really soured.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by ErocWolverine View Post

                  Not speaking for him, but I am betting he either lives in Fremont or around Fremont and probably enjoys 410 racing. So for him that might mean he has to travel a long distance to see 410 racing on a regular basis. That is something a lot of fans will likely not do is travel along ways on a regular basis.

                  Also I think what he is saying as well is ... support the local tracks ... not a series. Without the local tracks there isn't any series.
                  Thank you Eroc! That was exactly my point!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Sprintcarfanatic View Post
                    I doubt very seriously that with gas prices as low as they are if I do any travelling with Waynesfield running Saturday nights. Might be a little like Montpelier sprinkled in there when the Field is not running. Would like to get to the Burg again, it's been along time & I have not been there since it's reconfiguration. Unless Limaland gets car counts up or adds another division it's just not worth it for me. Mainly special shows (co-sanctioned) or when they run another division like trucks. My Question is will these guys still frequent the local shows when not running Renegades. I believe they will unless the grapes are really soured.
                    I'm would think the Renegades will run Attica on Friday nights & Wayne County/Atomic on Saturdays.. A few may show up at Fremont when it is a FAST races & the purse is $3000 to win or more..

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by swamp View Post

                      This is what I keep trying to tell everyone. I hope this becomes more evident as we go along. This whole thing is a huge disappointing mess.

                      Think about it. Does Central PA care what the hell is going on between the All Stars and Renegades? Hell no. Know why? Their local racing program is stronger than anywhere else in the country and the fans pack the stands EVERY weekend...not just when the traveling circus comes to town. Lots to be learned from the Central PA model!
                      The only thing the Central PA guys care about when Ohio comes to town with whatever series is to beat them and take the bigger money home with them.

                      This is why the Central PA area is so good because they don't have a traveling show and their drivers stay at home ... I remember when a lot of the all-stars/WoO guys were basically the Ohio area guys with a few others ... such as Jac, Ferkel, Blaneys, Jacobs, Kemenah, Linders, Kerr, Smith, .

                      If you took all the all-stars, renegades, and WoO guys that use to drive for these series the Ohio area would be stacked as well if there wasn't a traveling series and seen some of these teams/drivers every weekend. Again though you might not have that many teams either locally if they had to only race weekly as well.

                      One thing that the PA guys do is have some pretty good payouts without bringing in a series as well. Their speedweek shows and their own special shows, memorial shows, etc... all have good payouts and no series tied to them. So when the series comes to town the locals are ready.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by ErocWolverine View Post

                        The only thing the Central PA guys care about when Ohio comes to town with whatever series is to beat them and take the bigger money home with them.

                        This is why the Central PA area is so good because they don't have a traveling show and their drivers stay at home ... I remember when a lot of the all-stars/WoO guys were basically the Ohio area guys with a few others ... such as Jac, Ferkel, Blaneys, Jacobs, Kemenah, Linders, Kerr, Smith, .

                        If you took all the all-stars, renegades, and WoO guys that use to drive for these series the Ohio area would be stacked as well if there wasn't a traveling series and seen some of these teams/drivers every weekend. Again though you might not have that many teams either locally if they had to only race weekly as well.

                        One thing that the PA guys do is have some pretty good payouts without bringing in a series as well. Their speedweek shows and their own special shows, memorial shows, etc... all have good payouts and no series tied to them. So when the series comes to town the locals are ready.
                        You and Swamp make very good points. That was my intent when I started the thread-to get some dialogue going about the pros and cons of traveling series.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Renegades will go to Wayne county not Fremont because of farmer and that's a fact! As far as the traveling being needed I think only if your track doesn't have sprints on weekly basis. I just gone springs put butts in the seats no matter if it's 20 or so.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            A track such as Attica or Fremont most definitely needs a traveling series to come in at least 3 times a year. The reason being is the fans that attend those tracks are used to being able to see the travelers a couple times a year. Now a track such as Oakshade does fine with only having one traveling series come in oncr but they are not used to seeing them more than once. I agree totally that the traveling series can't survive without the locals but it will be hard for our local tracks to survive without the travelers also. It would take a very very creative promotion and marketing plan to make it work. Best of luck to all the local tracks. I know I enjoy going to local shows more often than not just because of cost.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              From a business stand point yes we probably do. Most people on the forum including myself will go to a "local/weekly" show but we would be the hardcore fans. The fans that only go to a few races a year will only go to All-Star/Outlaw shows because of either name recognition or perceived higher value that those shows have. Just look at the stands when you have gone to a local show versus going to an Outlaw Show or All Star show. Typically there is a noticeable difference in attendance because of the name. You have fans that will go to any type of show, you have fans that will only go to the big shows (speedweek/Kings Royal/etc) and the fans that will only go to Outlaw/All Star shows.

                              Its all about ticket shows and weekly shows do not sell as many tickets as traveling shows. Places like Central PA/Knoxville have basically created a "Brand" for themselves. It is something that they have taken years to develop and the tracks in the past have tried their best to help their local racers out while bringing in special events to bring in more fans to increase the amount of hardcore fans they have. People in those areas talk about their brand of racing just as much as high school/college football so its kind of a way of life for some. I think Fremont and Attica have done a good job in trying to create a brand and an identity for sprint car racing for Ohio with things such as the Fast series and helping local drivers/teams out and giving them an opportunity to race and giving fans something more than just a regular weekly show. Things like the Fast Series and tracks working together is what helps local drivers establish an identity for themselves and create there own brand so when the Outlaws or anyone else comes to town the crowd is cheering for the locals and not the series. But the tracks need to sell tickets in order to stay open and a traveling series helps sell more tickets. In the end its still a business and the tracks and promoters need to make money in order to keep everything afloat.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X