Fremont Speedway not panicking over Attica's decision to drop All Stars,

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fremont Speedway not panicking over Attica's decision to drop All Stars,

http://www.pennlive.com/sports/index.ssf/2015/01/fremont_speedway_not_panicking.html#incart_river

Fremont Speedway not panicking over Attica's decision to drop All Stars, evaluating situation

Dale Blaney swept the Jim Ford Classic at Fremont Speedway last season. Blaney went on to capture the All Star Circuit of Champions title. (Jeremy Elliott | jelliott@pennlive.com)

Print
    By Jeremy Elliott | jelliott@pennlive.com
    Follow on Twitter
    on January 02, 2015 at 9:39 PM, updated January 02, 2015 at 10:06 PM

Reddit

Rich Farmer isn't worried. He isn't going to panic, sweat or make any rash decisions that will affect his speedway.
    That isn't good business.
    Farmer is the promoter at Ohio's Fremont Speedway. Along with Attica Raceway Park, the two tracks have been a major part of the All Star Circuit of Champions schedule over the years, hosting 10 to 11 races a season.
    A few weeks ago, the All Stars released a schedule that included six dates at Fremont and five more at Attica. That's a big chunk of the 50 shows on the 2015 slate.
    That changed Friday. Attica Raceway Park gave its five dates to the rival Renegade Sprint Series, a surprise to many fans and people in the business. It also has some wondering if Fremont is going to follow suit.
    "Attica deciding to go with the Renegades has no bearing on what we do at our facility," Farmer said. "We will evaluate our position, and we are in the process of doing that.
    "I have contracts, but they are not fully executed. From Day 1, I have made a commitment to the All Stars."
    Continued Farmer, "We don't race for 120 days or so. I won't release a schedule until mid-February. I do not have a timetable. We will sit back, evaluate and do what we feel is best for the sport, first, and what is best for Fremont Speedway."
    Last week, Illinois' Jacksonville Speedway dropped the All Stars off its schedule after series promoter Guy Webb's comments about Renegade drivers in a recent Area Auto Racing News article.
    Now that Attica has chosen the Renegades, it leaves a big hole in the All Star Circuit of Champions schedule as far as dates and prestige.
    The most notable is Ohio Speed Week, a staple in the Buckeye state. With the departure of Attica, the nine-race series is down to eight, and you have to wonder if any other tracks on the slate are going to follow the same path.
    "I would be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed," Farmer said. "But by the same token, everyone has a business to run.
    "They made the decision that was best for their business. I talked to them [Attica] and respect their decision. They have a business to run and that is important."
    So does Farmer.
    Fremont has a rich history with the All Star Circuit of Champions. With the exception of Eldora Speedway, the one-third mile facility has hosted more races under the series banner than any other facility.
    Farmer isn't ready to give up on the brand. There is too much tradition to simply throw away the past.
    "My support for the All Stars is the rich tradition of the oldest winged Sprint Car body in the country," Farmer said. "We share the tradition guys like Fred Linder, Frankie Kerr, Lee Osborne, Joe Gearte, Kenny Jacobs and others helped build.
    "We cherish what those guys created and the traditions set forth, and that is what we are supporting at Fremont Speedway."
    Taking a wait-and-see attitude might be the best play.
    The All Star vs. Renegade battle has been a grind on local tracks and competitors throughout the Ohio region. Car owners and promoters have been pulled in different directions.
    But Farmer has other concerns. Fremont is home to a successful weekly program that features 410 Sprints, 305 Sprints and Dirt Trucks, and he isn't about to let it slip.
    "Our No. 1 focus is the racers that come to Fremont every week," Farmer said. "Those are the guys we want to take care of first.
    "This All Stars-Renegades thing and traveling groups is second. Our locals and that program is our No. 1 priority."

It's good not to panic. No one left on the Titanic panicked....... Until they realized all the lifeboats were already launched .

Comment

why would the 2013 regional promotor of the year picnic any ways any loss at the back gate in sprint car team will be made up with the addition of the 602 late models to each night

Comment

And just how many 602 late models are there and WHO are the drivers. Do u know there names. Name reckonation is half the battle to putting Asses in the seats.

Comment

I think he meant name recognition. There are a few 602 guys that people will know Tim and Steve Sabo along with Chester Fitch are names that the fans at Fremont Speedway will recognize

Comment

Working...
          X