Ohio Sprint Speedweek as we new it is done

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ohio Sprint Speedweek as we new it is done

I am glad I got out to a few of the speedweek shows last year. The car counts last year were incredible! When you take Attica, Wayne County and Atomic away from speedweek it is simply not the same and never will be. They are all great tracks to watch sprint cars at. Sad for all of us race fans from Ohio! Hopefully in time we will have it back the way it was no matter who the sanctioning body is, but not this year . It is too bad that what Bert Emick built has fallen. Only one man to blame Mr. Webb!

there will be a speedweek this year with the renegades with most of the same tracks as before

Comment

Dannyfan I hope you are correct, but we need a couple of more dominoes to fall.

Comment

I'm very serious and I think everybody will be very happy in the end. Yes a couple more things need to happen but they are closer then people realize.

Comment

They should be able to add Millstream which is much better track for sprint car racing than 35 or Moeler. Would love to see them get Waynesfield to switch. I love watching the 410 cars on that track! As far as other traditional speedweek tracks that leaves Lima, Sharon, Fremont & Eldora. Which one will be the next to switch?

Comment

It won't be Fremont. To many issues with farmer. I believe it will be Waynesfield and don't think Liam will be to far behind.

Comment

Waynesfield wont and I doubt lima will as unoh is the all stars title sponsor

Comment

Unoh won't be for long from what I hear. Let's just see when that happens and go from there. Waynesfield would be huge to get.

Comment

Let's hope something happens so it doesn't go badly either way. I grew up in and around speedweeks ... always was great going to Findlay starting it off to put seats down on the hill and then going past all the hotel/motels to see what trailers were in the parking lot early on and getting excited about seeing cars/drivers/teams that I usually didn't see that often come to Ohio to race because it was a special week with higher purse/to win and also some great racing.

If some of these other tracks do switch to the renegades ... I really hope they can change the "traditional" schedule around a little bit to accommodate the fans and the race teams. Make it so the teams don't have to bypass tracks on the way to another track. Realize it doesn't work all the time, but made no sense at times how the schedule was in the past and the tracks were in place.

Let's play the "what if" game and several of these traditional tracks decided to all make the switch including Fremont decides to join in and make it a 10 race Ohio Speedweek for the Renegades.

With already having 3 dates set Attica (Friday), Wayne County (Monday), and Atomic (Wednesday) would it make to much sense if they went:

Attica (F), Fremont (Sa), Hilltop (Su), Wayne County (M), Sharon (Tu), Atomic (W), Waynesfield (Th), Lima (F), Eldora (Sa), and Millstream for the finale on (Su). That would give some of these tracks their normal night of racing that they have during the year along with some closeness to other tracks. Realize the killer out of all these dates would be the Sharon to Atomic ... maybe ask Sharon to only have 410's that night so teams can get on the road early or just 1 other division.

With those dates and those tracks I got it at 796 miles for 10 nights of racing.

I realize as well that a lot of things came down to money, but would be great if these speedweek shows could pay a little more to win and the purse for this special week of racing so it is a little different than a normal show ... say 7,000 for the week and then 10,000 for the finale. Think that might also help increase car counts/fans/teams. Also a point fund for the week wouldn't be a bad thing either ... lol ... which would help as well for outsiders to decide to make the trip or at least give them more incentive to try it and also would probably get some more local teams to follow the entire week as well.

Comment

I like it Eroc, book it Dan O... Motor home all ready, gas prices are great if they stay that way. Cooler is full in one stop shopping. Frig has chile in it and bags full of deer jerky. Just about out door, oooo wait it's Janurary...........hehehehe

Comment

Lets assume Guy sells as he would have to at this point. There has to be plenty of interest from people to purchase the long standing history of the All Stars. Atomic has made it clear they have and offer in Farmer has done the same. Also surely the Renegades would be interested in it as well since the name has to still have huge value to fans that don't play in the keyboard wars. But what may not have been considered is the World of Outlaws say they want it as they did when the Gumout Series was around. They have the resources to make this a game changer. Look at what has been done with the UMP and all the DIRT brands they have growth and stability. Or another factor could be Emmet Hahn when looking at the struggling ASCS program he may want back in the 410 business as well. It is well noted he is not a friend of the Outlaws so that is a possible. Or the other long shot could be TSR with the tradition of All Stars at Eldora and a passion for the sport that goes beyond measure. Finally UNOH they have all the means to do this as well considering they have the NRA with a great points fund and so forth they know how to do this. It could also be any combonation of the above which would all be game changers. There are many things that could happen considering. Ask yourselves this one question do you feel that the racing world will let the tradition of the oldest winged sanctioning body just die?? Or the 30 plus years of Ohio Sprint Speedweek die?? Unless the Renegades purchase this series I don't think I would be doing a wing dance just yet alot could happen if we truely look at this.

Comment

What if somebody big was interested in buying it? Since Tony owns eldora maybe he and guy can come to agreement and then work with the renegades to only one series.

Comment

Even though we have become accustomed to the Speedweeks brand the Renegades could call it something similar. As many have posted the casual fan doesn't recognize certain names to the same extent as the die-hard fan does. A sharp marketer would just change it to something like "Ohio's Xtreme Week of Speed" and wouldn't miss a beat. The Xtreme seems to be a trend for the younger generation which might bring younger, newer fans to the sport. Also, to add more excitement to the deal, the Renegades could bring back $50,000 incentive for a winner of four races. Since that was an insurance policy it could be taken out to give teams the incentive to follow the whole week and would truly crown the "Ohio Xtreme Week of Speed" champion

Comment

I do know that there is much going on behind the scenes and if it works out should be easier for the fans.

Comment

Because I Care seems to make a lot of sense. If a sale is in the works, then UNOH seems like the most logical plan. The Outlaws already proved running another series was not profitable for them and why would they want the baggage that comes with it? Emmet Hahn? I really doubt that. So if not UNOH, look for Farmer to try to buy Webb out. He will likely outbid McCown. I don't know of one good reason why Tony Stewart would want to own it.
                              ~~ Connect with me on LinkedIn ~~
                              http://www.linkedin.com/in/bryanautullo

Comment

Working...
                              X